“A great place to stay”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #15 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My young daughter and I stayed here recently for 4 nights. There's not too much I can add to the other reviews other than agree. It's a nice traditional hotel. The rooms are on the small side, luckily we ony had two small carry on suitcases, as I would expect you'd be pressed to figure out where to store two large cases. You can walk fairly easily around the hutong and there are some little cafes down the lane to the right as you leave the hotel. Having said that the meals at the hotel are fine and are taken in the bar (although you can ask them to deliver the meal to your room) where my daughter also discovered the Xbox 360 upstairs on the mezzanine level (sounded like a heard of elephants when you have a couple of kids playing up there but that's fine). Breakfast is served in a breakfast room near the main entrance and was fine, a good selection of eastern and western food plus fruit and pastries. The breakfast room is a little small but we never had a problem getting a table. The ladies on reception are very helpful and speak very good English. We arrived early and an early check in was no problem including breakfast. Also the hotel was very quick to respond to email queries. If I had to criticize something I'd say the wi-fi was a bit buggy in the room and the room heater didn't work fantasticly but they were only minor things. Over all an enjoyable stay at double happiness.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,844)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed six nights here while visiting our daughter who is studying in Beijing this term. We were delighted with our choice. The hotel is the antithesis of the big chain type hotel we DIDN'T want. As we approached down the narrow Dongsi si tiao alley, we were a bit worried we'd gone a bit too far off the beaten track, but the moment we stepped inside we knew we'd nailed it. The staff speak excellent English and are eager to help with arranging everything from tours to restaurant reservations to taxis, and gave great advice on where to go and what to do locally. Breakfast should satisfy anyone - whether you like Chinese, American, or European you'll find what you're after. The decor is uncompromisingly Chinese, and the walls are liberally adorned with old photos and paintings. The bar is cozy and a great place to relax, and hosts traditional Chinese harp music and tea service some evenings. If you're looking for a place that's comfortable, affordable, and memorable, we highly recommend the Double Happiness.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Chose this hotel via Trip Advisor for a ''family education" trip to China with 2 boys aged 12 & 15. Wanted to get some where close to ''real Chinese" and avoid the big, shiny Hyatt's & Marriotts etc. All I can say is that this hotel nailed it. Approach is up a ''Hutong" alley with the taxi parting bikes, people, chickens etc to reach the front door. Well worth it.

LOCATION: in Kublai Khans ''Hutong" area, genuine, safe, close to subway (which is beyond excellent), short walk from ''main streets"

HOTEL: does what it says on the tin. Original Hutong courtyard layout, VERY quiet at night, comfortable rooms/bathrooms, wireless, nice kid-friendly bar, great bar food.

SERVICE: really ''to behold", even by Asian standards. Puts the rest of the world to shame (especially the Netherlands where I now live (dig:-)). Also though the USA as the Double Happiness service is not hard-coded & executed by "tip-hunters" ....its much more genuine and the staff have original warmth behind their eyes. Great.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed good. There is no traffic or other noise to consider (other than other guest in the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor, reading the great reviews from other travellers. It is one of the most different, exootic and homy places I ever stayed. The staff is wonderful, the happy bar is very nice - and it was visitors from all over the world. An international spot in the middle of old Beijing.
We stayed for one week and all the nights it was very quiet during the nights. That of course depend on your neighbours, but it was very nice to be able to sleep through the nights as we did.
The hotel fixed evereything for us, including ordering a taxi waiting for us at the airport upon arrival. I suggest you do this because the hotel seems to be hard to find for some taxi drivers. We also got a visit to the Beijing Opera (which was... - interesting, very weird), and a day trip to the great Wall.
The hotel has a great location, and we used the subway which is just a few minutes away.
We loved the Double Happines Courtyard Hotel and give our best recommendations!

Room Tip: Ask for room 28 if you are staying in a single room, it has more room then the other singles. I live...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JanickeHS
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've been staying here for all of my Beijing trips and for good reason, this is the best hotel in China. The staff, lead fantastically by DeDe are the best at what they do, the rooms are fantastic and provide a unique experience in this amazing city. I was unwell for a few days and the girls looked after me and checked on me regularly to see I was ok. DeDe orders my food and delivers it for me too!

The alley way is fantastic and gives a great insight into traditional Beijing lifestyle.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, be it solo, family, or couples! It's the service and dedication that keeps me coming back. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: I had the choice of two rooms and was given a viewing then the option to make a decision, I went wit...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Double Happiness 3 nights in October during a 3 week holiday to China and it was by far the best hotel experience of the trip. There are so many great things I could say about this hotel that it will be hard to capture them all.
First and foremost the level of service provided by the staff is excellent, they are attentive and quick to respond to any requests. The English spoken is very good and they provided great directions on how to get to various attractions around town. They can help you get on the right subways, there is subway stop about a 10 minute walk from the hotel which will get you nearly everywhere you will want to go in town. Next I have to comment on the location of the hotel which was perfect for me, I wanted to see the other side of Beijing, the traditional Hutong neighborhood, you can spend hours walking the alley ways and getting the feel of the way the Chinese people live in these ancient streets. There are also plenty of local options for authentic restaurants very close by. Despite this the location is very good as a short subway ride will take you nearly anywhere you want to go in Beijing. Subways in Beijng are extremely easy to navigate.
Next, the property itself is just magnificent, well maintained and very charming with it's meandering hallways and open courtyards. The rooms are very clean, well appointed and comfortable.
Breakfast in the hotel was well done and there were many options to choose from in the buffet. The bar was a great plus and a great place to have a drink after a long day of seeing the sights.
If this review sounds too glowing it is simply because there is nothing bad to say about the Double Happiness, it is simply a great find and I would not stay anywhere else in Beijing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family and I came to the Double Happiness two years ago and when it came to return to Beijing there was no question that we would come back to this hotel. All of the hotel staff are very friendly and welcoming. The reception staff speak excellent english are are always very willing to assist and advise you during your stay. As soon as they recognised us as repeat visitors we were immediately upgraded to better rooms which was a unexpected treat (though the rooms we had last time were perfectly nice, spotlessly clean and charming). The showers are powerful and hot (a must for me!) and the heating/air con unit in the room enabled us to have whatever temperature we wanted. The food menu has grown since our last visit and has a good selection of chinese and western dishes which we enjoyed (even the house red wine was good). The location of the hotel down a hutong gives you a real flavour of local life but is still only a five minute walk from the nearest subway station. When I come back to Beijing there will be no question that I will definitely stay at the Double Happiness again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends