“Outstanding”

Dadong Roast Duck (Nanxincang)
Ranked #13 of 12,716 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Singapore, Singapore
“Outstanding”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I visited this Restuarant at the recommendation of our guide. Whilst a little challenging to locate, the Restuarant was certainly impressive. On entry you can view the many chefs preparing and cooking the ducks in a large open oven. We were were seated we were given an enormous menu to view and were a little overwhelmed. We asked for assistance and an English speaking staff member was made available. We then selected the Peking Duck together with a plate of steamed vegetables and some bamboo. The duck was carved in front of us and then one of the staff showed us how to prepare the duck withe the pancakes, sauce and accompanying vegetables. The Peking duck was delicious. I might also suggest the a mango and Cocount drink which was also wonderful. A lovely meal. Great service and excellent surroundings.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
“The last word in Peking Duck”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

as others have said, come here for the Peking duck it's really something else. Lean, juicy duck meat with a huge variety of condiments and an extensive menu with meat and vegetarian options. A must do.

• Visited October 2012
“Excellent food and superb presentation”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I am embarrassed that I did not know about the Da Dong restaurant until recently. I went there the first chance I had during my last trip to Beijing, in April of this year (2013).

The first thing that impressed me was the menu. Looking through the pictures of the dishes is like enjoying an art album. I've been to quite a few upper scale restaurants in China, but it's the first time I felt this way.

The price of some of the dishes (on the front pages of the menu) was equally impressive - some of the seafood dishes went for more than $500USD each. I was told that most Chinese people who came here to eat were not paying out of their own pockets - usually business meals. But I was paying on my own, so I quickly flipped through the front pages and got to the "normal" dishes. Of course, I ordered a Peking Duck. Then a few appetizers and dishes. A friend of mine recommended a dish that has cabbage and chestnuts, which was very very good, but quite filling. Every dish came with outstanding artful presentation. The duck was done just right. The chef came to the table to carve it, and scraped the fat from the skin and meat.

There were 5 of us. We're not big eaters and did not finish the duck, because the other dishes filled us up. Everyone enjoyed the meal. The total was about 1200RMB, roughly $200. Not bad at all.

Most dishes come in 3 sizes - small, medium, and large. We ordered mainly small and medium. For the 5 of us, it's plenty. If I go back again, I would order that cabbage and chestnut dish in small, so I'll have more room for other dishes.

The only disappointing thing was that, even though we're in the non-smoking section, a Chinese guy in the next table started smoking blatantly. We complained to the waiter, who said that they old him already but he still smoked. I asked the waiter to talk with him again, he finally stopped. But the smoke lingered for a while. Quite annoying.

I definitely recommend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Bangor, Maine, United States
“A little too elegant and huge for me.”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This restaurant, while serving what I suspect is a consistently very good Peking duck, has a bit of an up-scale chain feeling about it. Our group was given a private room, and the meal is served family style - All the food was good - there were oh-too-many choices. But there was something lacking. Perhaps it was the authentic feel that is there in the smaller shops in the city. If you are at all skeptical about choosing a place on your own, by all means, come here. You will have a fine example of Peking Duck!

Pinetop, Arizona, USA
“Very good peking duck, but pricey!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Enjoyed the peking duck, the beef, scallops, and eggplant. This restaurant felt crowded and more like a mid-priced restaurant than what we paid.

Visited April 2013

Been to Dadong Roast Duck (Nanxincang)? Share your experiences!