“Expect the unexpected and a great experience”

Dadong Roast Duck (Nanxincang)
Ranked #15 of 12,741 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have read a number of reviews lately and there seems to be some disagreement on this restaurant. For our part we found it an excellent experience. We had reserved as recommended and were greeted warmly and taken up the the second floor passing the duck ovens. This is an elegant restaurant indeed. Communication was a little difficult for English speakers but we made out just fine. The menu is an impressive book with many coloured pages showing what is on offer and in English. There is a large range of possibilities and if you are into pig's intestine, this is the place for you. We, of course, chose the duck and they recommended half a duck, shared by the two of us. We also ordered soup and later tiramisu. We ordered a drink each but to our surprise along came unannounced two more drinks, a generous glass of whisky and a rather nice fruity drink. That was unexpected No 1. Our soup arrived after quite short wait and then another soup arrived, unexpected No 2. The duck was carved by our table with a great flourish and it came with a plate of condiments and wonderfully thin pancakes which we were expecting and we ordered bamboo as an extra vegetable. The duck was tender and delicious, they showed us how to eat the skin coated in sugar, very tasty. The dessert was very nice indeed and then along came another surprise, we think they were apples on a bed of ice - unexpected No 3. When the bill came we only paid for what we ordered. The price was most reasonable. Everything was delicious and the service was fine. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and we recommend the restaurant unreservedly. We felt sorry for those who have left unsatisfied.

There are newer reviews for Dadong Roast Duck (Nanxincang)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

After reading countless recommendations online, and from friends who have been there, we decided to find this famous restaurant.
First impression was great, lovely and sophisticated decor.

The duck was crispy, airy, and it melted right in your mouth.
Portions were small, price high, as expected in this kind of restaurant.
Enjoyed watching chef prepare the duck infront of our table.

However, the staff spoke no English, and service surprisingly indifferent as if they did not care about their guests. A little smile would have gone a long way.

I ordered tea and they brought the tea in a size comparable to a shotglass. had the tea in one sip and took a long time to bring hot water again which was next to our table.

All in all it was an experience to remember, but I don't know if it deserves all the hype and fame for the service you receive.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Suffered a terrible scam at this restaurant. I payed for my meal with four 100 Yuan notes which I'd picked up at a travelex beureau at Heathrow airport only a few days prior. The staff came back with a fake note that looked like monopoly money and held together with selotape and insisted I give them another note. I certainly hadn't given this note and after arguing for 40 minutes with them, which included being marched to the CCTV room to view some highly inconclusive footage that was supposed to prove I had given them the note I cut my losses and left.

this isn't a new scam but not one I'd expect of a restaurant that is both very upmarket and expensive and that relies has a lot of tourists as customers.

And the food? Even that wasn't great in my opinion, the duck was a little greasy and the skin quite limp with small portion sizes. The price was also very, very high compared to other restaurants I ate at in the city and elsewhere in China.

1  Thank joe_damage
Reviewed November 29, 2012

From what I have read, many people think Dadong serves the best Peking Duck in Beijing. I've never had Peking Duck before, but this duck was very lean and very tasty. The chef carved it at our table with great skill, making beautifully arranged plates of meat. It was good, but did not send me to heaven. The service was indifferent, like they were doing you a favor by letting you eat there. Vast restaurant atmosphere, nice but nothing special.

If you go, you must have reservations. You can't see the restaurant from the street, it is around the back of the Nanxincang building.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband is a great lover of Peking duck so a friend of mine recommend we try Dadong when we are in Beijing ......this is the BEST restaurant for duck I've ever been to, it was pricey but the food & service were number one! It was a great to watch the chefs cooking the duck then bring it to your table and carve it so well. This is a MUST

Been to Dadong Roast Duck (Nanxincang)? Share your experiences!