“experience”

BeiJing Quanjude Roast Duck (HePing Men)
Ranked #148 of 12,627 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chongwenmen
Enschede
“experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Eating here is a 'total experience' since there is this traditional way in which you have to build up your little pancakes with the duck slices, greeneries and soy sauce and close them with your chop sticks. The cook comes to slice the duck at your table and one of the waiters comes and demonstrates the right way of doing the pancake thing. Later they bring a soup made of the duck. The first slices of the duck skin come separately as they are considered the most tasty. I quite enjoyed the whole experience. The taste is quite light and the combination balanced. The duck head which came at the end in two halves was another experience: how do all these different little bits inside the head taste? The soup a bit of a disappointment as I found it bland and too fat. All in all: food good, experience very good.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank JanFromE

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
“A tad too greasy for me.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've eaten Peking Duck before in Singapore and I find that the Peking Duck in Beijing was way too greasy for me. I didn't like the thick layer of fats behind the crispy skin.

It was however very entertaining to watch the chef slice up the duck in front of you.

The soup which they made from the leftover duck bones (I think) was also a little tasteless. But it's free so I'm not complaining. We spent RMB300 for 2 persons. Rather expensive for a disappointing meal. But then again, maybe it's because I'm not used to the grease because the restaurant seemed really popular with the locals.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Stephy2007
“Greasy & Cold”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I don't even want to write down any reviews for this since it was really not a nice lunch at all.
Since there were a lots people and all noon tickets sold out, so we had to go to the Quanjude fast food session to eat, sit with different people I didn't really mind.
But the set meal we ordered for two was really not nice at all.
First we ordered, I don't really mind to pay before we eat, but I had to ask for my change back, lucky I remembered.
Second, the staff told us all the duck roasted freshly, but when we got the duck, it was cold and the pancakes were cold as well.
Third, when we were still eating, the staff took the duck dish which still got duck inside and took the whole cup of duck soup without asking.
It was just an unpleasant lunch, and the staffs there were just too rush.

• Visited November 2013
Ipoh, Malaysia
“Peking Roast Duck!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The food served here was terrible!!! From the shopfront , it really look impressive...
However when the dishes arrived , it was everything but bad.
The duck was not so good as recommended, the vegetables served were cold and the soup was tasteless.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank jefyong
Melbourne, Australia
“Best duck in Beijing according to Locals (100 year old Restaurant)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have read the negative reviews here about Quan jade & it does not reflect the experience we had at ALL! Don't listen to these westerners bagging the food, service, line ot the front etc...I'm a true blue Aussie (& westerner too) but the Chinese people don't operate the way we do in western society. I love how straight forward & to the point Chinese people are, they don't fluff around and do the touchy feeling thing, it's great. Just get on thier wavelength and don't expect any aires & graces like we expect in Australia & other high standard service countries. Just order your food, get over yourself and enjoy the most beautiful peking duck in the world! It is truly a religious experience! Here are a couple of helpful tips if you are a westerner going to this restaurant 1) Book ahead and them them how many ducks you would like 2) go with a local from Beijing who speaks chinese (or a local guide even would be very helpful) 3) We went at 2pm in afternoon on a weekday & was not too busy at all! There are 20 million people in this city so don't rock up on a weekend without a booking & expect to waltz right in and not have to wait! Oh, and also the king prawns were AMAZING!!!!
Hope this helps! Sherren

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Sherren C

Been to BeiJing Quanjude Roast Duck (HePing Men)? Share your experiences!