“Acceptable”

BeiJing Quanjude Roast Duck (HePing Men)
Ranked #209 of 12,714 Restaurants in Beijing
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chongwenmen
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Acceptable”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

First, this was my first ever visit to China and I was travelling solo on business to Beijing. I arrived on a Saturday around 13:00 for lunch. This restaurant is very convenient to Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, etc., which was a plus. I was assigned a number and directed upstairs to wait. I ended up waiting only about 10 minutes for a table in a side room.

My first impression of the place was not the best. The staff were rather rude compared to other restaurants in Beijing. Maybe it was because I was alone or because of the language barrier (I don't speak any Chinese); I really don't know. But in addition to the staff, the air in the restaurant was warm and heavy with the overwhelming smell of duck fat. For me, it was unpleasant. The smell could have been tolerable if there had been more air circulating through the building.

Given that it was a warm day and that I didn't want to eat nor waste a lot of food, I only ordered the duck, a couple of the sides, and a Coke. Ordering wasn't a problem, and the food arrived quickly. For me, this was another sign of the volume of duck being roasted every day. While not exactly table-side given where I was sitting, the duck was carved close by. The skin was set down first. It was crispy and oily. The rest of the meat was then provided. It tasted good, and was not dry or tough but had a lot of fat. The amount provided was more than enough for one. I wish I could have ordered just a half-duck, but was unable to communicate that to any of the servers (YMMV). I was even given a lesson on how to eat the duck (dip, fold in wrap, etc.). I was a bit put off by this because I didn't need nor ask for the assistance - I already knew in advance but was choosing at times to eat just the meat in the non-traditional way. I was clearly singled out for being a foreigner. Oh well...it's a part of travelling to foreign countries.

I would say that for first timers like myself, this was a good choice for roast duck. Despite the cons, the food was good and this location is convenient to major attractions. However, I ended up eating duck at two other restaurants while in Beijing where the duck was much better (less oily or fatty). Having tried the other places (Xiaowang's Family Restaurant and Huaji Yiyuan), I would probably not eat at this particular restaurant again unless I was a part of a group that chose to eat here.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank clingermanml

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“peking duck at its best”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

A very busy restaurant, on a pedestrianized shopping street; ducks are carved individually at each table. Best not too eat too much of the plentiful and tasty other dishes before your duck arrives. The crispy skin is excellent and the whole dish is far removed from some grease laden imitations served in the UK.

• Visited May 2013
“Not bad”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

4th time here

The quality is always the same. The duck skin is crispy and very oily (somes love it).

The vegetable dishes are very nice.

The only bad part is that the bones can only be made into a soup which tastes really horrible.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sai77
London, United Kingdom
“Commercial but pleasant”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Travelling as part of a tour group we visited the Quanjude Duck Restaurant for our last evening in Beijing, don’t be fooled into thinking this is a one off restaurant, it is a commercial chain however that said we had a very good buffet in which food appeared dish after dish and the duck was plentiful. We paid for an all inclusive package to include a number of starters mains and also a fruit platter for dessert. Starters were already laid out on arrival, cold meats, duck sausage and a aspic style pate were then followed by plentiful dishes of fish, pork and of course the duck, the duck is carved in front of you and is carved to gain the most from each bird a waitress showed our group how to roll their own pancakes with chopsticks then we were left to dig in. We also had a duck bone soup – not to my taste however you have to try these things! Favorite dishes included the duck (of course) but also the sweet and sour pork. I would certainly go back again with a group, it’s probably not the ideal place to go as a couple as the atmosphere is lively and not too quiet. Service was good and dishes were brought and cleared away quickly by the waitresses, unfortunately they were a little surly, and we had one incident when we were told the prawns were pork – luckily someone else had a taste and stopped our group member who had an allergy to shellfish from eating the dish. A nice meal and a great stop for a group, it’s not an small restaurant authentic meal experience but it is well run and an easy option for a meal out.

• Visited March 2013
Manila, Philippines
“"Beijing Roast Duck" - is served best at Quanjude”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

When you visit China, it is a must to try their very own Roast Duck.
And since there are already numerous restaurants who serves Roast Duck, you should choose the original even if it means you have to wait and fall in line for some minutes or maybe even hours.

Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant at Qianmen is one of the fine-dining restaurants that people lined up to.
Aside from the fact that it is situated in a Shopping/Restaurant area,
the good thing about their branch is that it is huge, and there is a waiting space
inside (seated) and outside (standing).

Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant serves Roast Duck
in a classic way of roasting - Woodfired Oven.
Each Duck is registered by Quanjude, thus having a Duck Number.
And you will received a certificate that this Duck was served to you.
And this is one of the reasons why they are famous.

Plus, the whole duck is carved infront of you starting with the skin.
Quanjude has a distinct way of carving.
It has a certain number of slices until it reaches the bones.

The remaining duck and bones is then cooked to create your very own soup.
And thus, nothing goes to waste.

The Roast Duck is paired with the Quanjude Duck Sauce.
And a choice of Pancake (bread) or Rice.
As for us, we chose rice. :)

Be sure to arrive early so as not to wait for so long.
And enjoy your Roast Duck better. :)

*we visited Quanjude at their Qianmen branch