“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #70 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is excellent in terms of location, room, facilities, services...
The hotel is close to tourist attractions and walking distance to shops and restaurants. It's easy to reach from airport too (** Get airport express to Dongzhiman and taxi to hotel from this station is just RMB20).
The room is large, clean and modern. All utilities you need are all ready. There are also lots of interesting books in lobby that you can read there or borrow. However, what's pity that the wifi is not work in my room but lobby. That's the only drawback during my stay. Overall I would recommend it and you will find it's worth.

** For more reference: the washroom is open design that there is just a curtain to separate the bedroom and washroom (the curtain is outside the washroom too). Beware of this you will stay with normal friends

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
St. Fillans, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hotel is well placed for the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. Hotel is decent, and well appointed, though our room was a little tired, and could do with some refurbishment. Room was so-so as cleanliness goes - black mould round the tiles at the base of the shower, major staining where the minibar had leaked, signs of toothpaste from a previous occupant, but location is good, and it presents very good value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank eqcons
London, England
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The location can't be faulted. It's close to The Forbidden City and The Square. The staff are relaxed and super friendly. They speak excellent English. The room reminded me of some sort of Zen like Japanese place. It was fine but it didn't grab me. I was in a courtyard room which is a grand way of saying you don't have a view of anything apart from a dusty dry garden beneath. There are quirky little bits and pieces in the room like a sweet little bonsai tree in the bathroom, 'His and hers' slippers and the room was quiet considering I was in the centre of Beijing. This place is billed as a 5 star hotel. I don't mean to be mean but it really isn't. Te bed was so hard I couldn't actually believe it. It was almost a cotton sheet on top of bed springs. I just think, how can a hotel get something like a bed so badly wrong. I couldn't sleep and there was a low buzz coming from somewhere in the room. I turned on the light and decided to investigate, eventually I found a mini bar in one of the cupboards that was making the noise. It drove me crazy all night. I wouldn't stay here again because the beds were totally unacceptable. However if you have jet arrived in Beijing and you need friendly helpful staff to help you navigate the city then this place might be for you. Not for me though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tajine
Singapore
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel is really good value for money. The key highlights are the location, breakfast buffet and service.

The location is close to Wangfujing and Gu Gong / the Imperial Palace, this is very convenient and the short walks, even in winter, are pleasant. I especially appreciated the nearby location when walking back from the Wangfujing bookstore, which ties up the purchases with raffia string (instead of providing plastic or paper bags) in an environmentally friendly way.

The breakfast spread is excellent, with a good mix of Chinese and Western choices. No problems with eating a healthy and nutritious breakfast here. I particularly liked the breads and omelette station.

The staff are very professional, friendly and helpful with luggage, booking a car and directions to places of interest.

The room is comfortable and well-stocked with toiletries, mineral water and bathrobes. I noticed that some of the earlier reviews mentioned that the rooms were very cold. I thought so too on the first day but realized it takes a while to learn to use the thermostat controls - the symbol needs to be adjusted from the snowflake to the heating coil, instead of just increasing the temperature.

Only minor downside was the difficulty of hailing a cab in that area, whether during weekdays or weekends, peak or off-peak hours. The cab charges from the airport to the hotel were about RMB 80, but we booked a car from the hotel to the airport for RMB 200 as it would otherwise be impossible to get a cab to the airport around noon.

Overall, a good hotel which I would definitely recommend for this price category.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked this hotel through agoda because of its location and proximity to Wangfujing. We arrived at night and I loved the room that we stayed in. My family (we booked 3 rooms) stayed in the courtyard rooms and although we weren't able to enjoy it because it was freezing cold, it was a nice touch to have a small courtyard which had a small pond where some fish were swimming.
The room was nice and comfortable, loved that there were 3 pillows per person (6 pillows on our bed) and there was a humidifier which helped a lot.
The breakfast buffet was surprisingly good although I didn't get to enjoy it so much because we were in a hurry most of the time.
But the best feature of this hotel is the location which is just about 8 minutes walk to Wangfujing (shopping street). I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are nice :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
singapore
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We arrived here on 16 Dec and checked out on 19 Dec.

The trip from the airport to the hotel cost us RMB160 including toll charges.

Although we arrived really early at about 9ish in the morning, they were happy to allow us to check in early. However, that meant another 2 hour wait. So we made our way to the Tiananmen and Forbidden City. Which was only about 15 mins walk away.

The service staff spoke adequate English and are really friendly. Sometimes, they insisted on speaking only English even though we hinted we could speak Mandarin well enough.

The hotel room was clean and spacious. As pointed out by other reviewers, the door to the bathroom is glass. You may draw the curtain if you wish. However, the curtain is on the outside of the glass door. So if you are traveling with someone other than a close family member or friend, you might want to think again if you are comfortable with this.

The bathroom is equipped with bath essentials (body gel, shampoo, conditioner), 2 sets of toothbrush, vanity set, combs, shaver, shower caps. These are replenish daily.

On the first day, you will get 2 bottles of juices free. Subsequently, it is 2 bottles of drinking water each day.

Bed is king size and really spacious. Love it!

Opposite, there are eateries. The one you must try is called "Da Wan Ju" or "大碗 居". Everything comes in huge portions so if you are ordering for 2, 2-3 dishes will suffice. But of course, if you are happy to try the food without the intention of finishing them, go ahead and order what you like =) everything is generally tasty. They serve free soy milk or water. But somehow, it tasted odd.

Turn right and walk down the streets and you will come to Wangfujing "王附井. It is a shopping belt. THere are a few good food here too like Hai Di Lao Hou Guo 海底捞火锅 and 全居得. The former is steamboat and the latter, where you can try one of the best Roasted Peking Duck from (half a duck will set you back about RMB119 if i didnt recall wrongly).

From here, we took bus 104 and ended up at Nanlouguxiang, a nice and quaint old beijing street. And we took a cab back which cost us about RMB10 to the hotel.

At the hotel, you can arrange to sight-see. We booked a driver through the hotel who brought us to the Great Wall and Summer Palace. You can arrange with the driver which part of the wall to go to. WE met a nice swedish couple and booked the driver together which cost us each couple RMB400. A car can sit about 4 (excluding driver). If you prefer not to share the car, it would cost you RMB800.

To the airport, we arranged with the same driver to pick us up for RMB200. It's slightly more expensive I guess compared to taking a cab but we didnt want to risk being unable to flag for one. We find that the transport network is not as efficient or convenient. There may be cabs but they rarely stop and even if they do, they are picky with the destination.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Kapok. I am not sure if I will return to Beijing. Maybe not in Dec. The winter can be really bitter and harsh. It was either no sun + flurries of snow or sun + strong wind. Either way, it was freezing cold and we didn't enjoy the sights as much as we wish we did. Be really well prepared for the wintry conditions!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tinkilily
Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Just a bit about myself. Visited over 40 countries, stayed over 300 places; That does not make me an expert on hotel ratings, but possibly gives me realistic and unbiased view. This review will be more as: agree- disagree with other reviews

Hotel Kapok is exceptional in many respects and deserves the 4 star hotel rating. Glass everywhere, even the bathroom is sectioned off by glass walls - with curtains.

I agree with reviews which rate the breakfast as excellent ("Boutique Gem "review) and it is worth the money. It might be your best meal of the day, since we found it difficult to eat in Beijing generally. We also had dinners at the hotel, which were just average. Typically the chicken and other meat is served with lots of bones and skin.
Everyone agrees that it is close to Forbidden City and Tian'anmen Square. But there are other places within walking distance such as Jingham Park and Beihai Park. Don't miss it! The hotel volunteer (young men in lobby with very good English) gave us always correct and detailed information on buses and subways for our daily trips, since we did not want to use taxi drivers with their rip off attitude. Public transportation is extremely cheap (1-2 yuan) and faster than taxis. All stops on buses and subways are displayed in English also, very easy to navigate. The hotel also arranges for private trips which are rather expensive but very convenient; we took the car to Mutianyu Wall (better than other wall's spots) It was US100,only 2 of us, with more people it would cost less.
I disagree that it is hard to communicate in English at the hotel. There is always someone around who is reasonably fluent. Service people and the front desk are eagerly trying to please you.
Unfortunately I have to agree with reviews which complain about heating. They brought us a portable heater very quickly when we had a problem.
If you like five star places with swimming pool and all bells and whistles, this place will not satisfy you, but if you spend most of the day exploring the city, you will be very happy coming back to this clean, quiet, roomy, comfortable "glass" hotel with excellent service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple