“Quiet Hotel located in a Hutong”
Review of Zhong An Hotel

Zhong An Hotel
Ranked #631 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This hotel was a quaint and reasonably nice stay. As it was my first time in Beijing I'm glad that I stayed in his hassle free, and clean hotel. The hotel was difficult for my taxi driver to find he kept circling around in frustration and asking other random taxi drivers for directions. The taxi then proceeded to overcharge me but enough of that story. Hotel is basic but comfortable, rooms are clean, bathroom quite basic as well. A good place to rest for the night , with an excellent restaurant. Many Chinese families hosted parties at the restaurant and it was a hit with many locals, as well as foreign guests. I enjoyed eating at the restaurant immensely. There is a free internet, somewhat slow and a small convenience store/gift shop to buy snacks and toiletries. I booked several days trips and the tour guides were able to locate me with minimal issue. Still the hotel location is a little remote, but close walking distance to the Beijing Railway station and subway. As long as you can find the subway you can get anywhere else you need to go just fine, at night was slightly sketchy walking home alone in the dark alleyway but I never felt threatened.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank topaznight
There are newer reviews for Zhong An Hotel

Reviewed January 31, 2011

+hotel was clean and service was good
+beds were comfortable
+nice staff but very little English
+located close to Silk market (within 15 min walk)
+Bejing Railway station within 4 min walking distance
+free wifi in lobby

- located in side road
- single room very small
- not easy to find for someone who cannot speak Chinese
- rooms seemed dark
- no taxi stand

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Martin1900
Reviewed December 11, 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment style room, air con kitchenette hot water. Close to everything. Taxis won't come down the hutong due to narrowness but you are close to the rail station and main road. Bus from airport stops at the railway station and you walk to the first street turn right into the hutong and follow the signs easy to find. We ate most dinners at the restaurant the food was good well priced and service very good. Breakfast not what we were after but resonably priced. The kids wanted internet so we hired computers from the hotel with internet access at approx $5US for 5 days. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I highly recommend this hotel and will definetly go back. Use the subway its cheap and gets you ever where and is easy to use.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Good hotel, close to the railway station and the metro, but the metro is station is always full because is the closest to the Railway station. It's is in a hutong area, a little herd to find, but you can ask the people and they will point you in the rights direction.
We stayed in this and the Andingmen branch and I would recommend the Andingmen branch because is closer to the metro, the room and bathroom were better and more helpful front desk service. I booked both on expedia and the Andingmen was cheaper (U$s24 vs. U$s31)

TIP: It really helps to have the name and address of the place where you’re going (hotel, restaurant, etc) in Chinese characters

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garaba2
Reviewed September 25, 2010

This seems to be a popular place for budget travelers. Not particularly nice, but OK. Very close to train station, but otherwise not particularly good location. Rooms that face the train tracks can be noisy. Reception staff helpful. Wired internet in rooms, no wifi. Be sure to have written directions or you will have a hard time finding the first time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Thank sr.rb
Reviewed September 23, 2010

This hotel is very good! It has only 2-star rating but provides very good service and rooms! We have booked apartment. It has 2 rooms and smallest kitchen. The room was spacious and cosy.
Bathroom is very good with a lot of accessories including condoms %)
Hight-speed Internet is porovided by hotel too. We used cable internet but WiFi is possible too as I understand.
One of disadvantages was windows missing. Frankly speaking each room has window but they are painted at least of 70%. It is because room our is located on ground floor. I think all rooms on higher floors have no such kind of problem.
Hotel is located in beijings hutong. It may seems dangerous but don't worry - Beijing is very safe city and police station is next building :)
Hotel staff is quite polite and ready to help. We ask they to write some words in chinese to help us in interaction with native people.
Also do not forget to visit restaurant. It provides a lot of traditional and very tasty dishes at very good prices. But i do not reccomend any duck here, because it do not provide traditional beijing roasted duck.
Note! Restaurant is very good for dinner but is not suitable for breakfast in my opinion. Because breakfast is extremely chinese and specific. But it is extremely cheap :)
If you plan to stay in Beijing several days a reccomend you to buy beijing transport card. It costs 20 yuan, but provides 60% discounts on public transport (except metro) including bus 919 to Great Wall.
I highly reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My stay in the Zhong An marked my first ever visit to China and was a great experience for me. Upon arrival ( I took the bus from Beijing Airport arriving at the train station) I did struggle to find the Hotel as the Beijing Hutongs are hard to navigate and after a long flight and being thrown into your first steps in China it;s a bit disorientating,
After battling off a crew of locals who wanted to charge me to show me the way a nice guy with a briefcase (who was then slapped in the face by a local conman) pointed me in the right direction! The walk is only 5 mins max from the station and all it's nearby amenities.
I was a bit unerved at the start as the first alleyway you walk up is really ramshackle and there's a rather pungent public toilet you have to pass but then I spotted the neon and was happy to find the hotel!
I was lucky that my room was really quiet, no indication I was so close to a major train station and I found my room to be clean and cosy and had a wonderful stay there. I booked a single room and it was relativley spacious with en suite bathroom, spotless bedlinen and polite staff.
Had a few language difficulties with staff but they always made the effort to either pass me over to someone who spoke more English or made a call etc. There is also a desk there that operates tours and offers tourist info so you can book up trips the the Great Wall etc from the hotel. Unfortunlately my tour was cancelled at 6am minutes before I was geared up to head out as I was the only person booked on the trip...but the facility is there if you need it! Alternatively you can use the buses from the bus depot in Tianenmen for such trips to Ming Tombs, Great Wall ect!
As a solo female traveller I felt safe staying in this area and was really impressed with the location and how quickly and easily I could walk to major sights around the city. There is also the subway system closeby to get to areas further away which was very easy and cheap to use.
There's a great Veggie restaurant just over the road from the station which served up great food as well as a handful of convenience stores for snacks and supplies.
The busy Wangfujing street and night market were about 10 minutes walk away which was awesome. It;s a great base for anyone wanting to just wander around the city by foot as spots like the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square are easy walking distance.
Overally I would highly reccomend this place as it;s great value for money, decent rooms, clean, boasts friendly and helpful staff and is perfect location! I actually returned to the Zhong An a few weeks later when back in Beijing and once again could not fault my stay there!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo