“Dragon King Hostel”

Yingxiang Hutong Hotel
Ranked #8 of 984 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Reviewed February 16, 2013

As an 18 year old female moving to Beijing to teach English, I had never even stayed at a Hostel prior to this week. I was so, so grateful for my decision to stay at the Dragon King Hostel. (Also once known as the 9 Dragons House and the Xinmao youth hostel.) The staff were so wonderful, so helpful and so kind. By the second day of my stay, they'd call me by name as I was entering or exiting. They all spoke wonderful English.

The Zhangzizhonglu train station was right around the corner.
The food at the restaurant was great, although I did have to wait a terribly long time for it.
The wifi was available on every floor, although sometimes unreliable... however, if it was down, I could just walk the five minutes down to the Happy Dragon Courtyard who graciously let us use their wifi. The Dragon King Hostel also has a computer with a VPN where you can pay 1 RMB for 15 minutes of access.
I stayed in a four person dorm which had a locker for each person, and I never felt uncomfortable leaving my things in the room in the locker. The people I shared the dorm with were great, tons of fun, and we ended up spending a lot of time together.
I booked online at Hostelworld.com and the prices I paid were significantly cheaper than the prices listed at the reception, so I'd recommend doing that.
It cost me 65 RMB to get to the hostel by cab from the airport. (Make sure you go downstairs at the airport and wait in line for the cab... don't be fooled by the guys who come up to you and offer to drive you around for their ridiculous 300-500 RMB prices!)
Bring an alarm/watch with you as their isn't one in the room. There also aren't any telephones in the room, but if I needed to receive a call, they were willing to let me use the phone at the reception.

Overall, I absolutely loved my stay here, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Amanda B

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Having read previous reviews I've got to be honest- I seem to have had a good stay overall. Rooms were clean, bathroom was clean, all towels and linens were clean and the Hot, Hot shower was very welcome!!!!

The one thing that lets it down, is the restaurant. Yes I was part of a large group and on the first morning they couldn't cope with the demand, so the second day we spread ourselves out over a period of 2 hours so they could cope, yet still they failed miserably!!! Some of the group were waiting 1hr 45 minutes for cereal, and they only started to speed up when we all threatened to leave and demand our money back (a guy who had been sat in the bar all this time on his phone then went into the kitchen) at no point was there any sense of urgency and in the end quite a few of us just gave up!

Shame because if it wasn't for the awful service in the restaurant this would probably have been a 5 star review!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dovit D
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We arrived late at night at 11.30pm and took the taxi which took total of 45 mins wait in line at the airport then 30 mins drive to this hostel. Luckily we printed beforehand the address in English and Chinese. The Driver was able to find the location and costs only 75 yuan.
Upon checking in our room the room is tidy, very Chinese and the mattress is hard but didn't stop us from having a good nights sleep, the floor bit dirty and dusty and the toilet smells like p*ss (Beforehand we did lots of research on this hostel and noted many complaints on the cleanliness of the bathroom especially with the toilet so we brought with us shower thongs and small bottle of tea tree oil). So thank god for the thongs, i turned on the shower head and used it to spray the water on the toilet cleaning everything then proceed to apply tea tree oil on toilet paper and cleaned the flusher as well the seat so all is good and clean with no pi*s smell and cleaner than how the hostel would have cleaned it had we asked them.
If you checked out the public bathroom just near this hostel, i guarantee that you will not complain about the condition of the room's toilet.
Main thing is that the hostel is cheap, internet is cheap and the bed sheets are clean and this hostel is located very near to subway station and 7/11 shop as well bakery and supermarket. Just 5 mins walk to station. We stayed here for 5 nights and had no problem. We did check out the other hostels and it was quite a walk to and from the station so we are glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Super T
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

The only thing this hostel has going for it is it's location.

The rooms are dirty and old and sheets / towels had stains on them. The room/bathroom was never cleaned while I stayed there.

The restaurant was also terrible - there are pictures plastered everywhere of nice food - none of the pictures relate to the hostel restaurant.

The staff are icy cold - not even a smile and the wifi is pretty rubbish also.

I wouldn't mind the state of the place if I was paying half the price. There are over 90 hostels in Beijing. Do your research!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Sofians
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stared five nights in 9 Dragons House Hotel in June 2012 and were Happified:
Pros
Location: +++
Room 307: OK
Cleanliness: ++
Staff: Very friendly & helpful, particularly Abby & Kathrine
Value: +++

Cons:
Room 307: Bed to HARD, needs new wallpaper & bathroom fan makes noise
- No room safe (tho there is a common safe in reception)

Marco Polo & Olga Kovshanova, MBA, MA

Room Tip: Say "Hi" to Abby & Kathrine from Olga & Marco from Mauritius
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2012

So I shall tell you about my experience of 3 nights staying in the 9 Dragons House (Xinmao Hostel). Firstly, we found it very difficult to get an address of the Hostel in Chinese and although their website provided a map, there was no address to easily print out, or to have copied to show to a taxi driver. When we first arrived, we were put into a double room, however, we had booked in advance for a twin, so after bringing this up, we were given, very reluctantly a 3 bed room (a twin room with a very uncomfortable looking fold up bed with a very thin matress!) The toilet in the room was faulty (you had to take the lid off and poke something to allow it fill back up with water). The shower (chinese style shower) plug hole was filled with hair to the extent it flooded the bathroom and we had to remove it ourselves. Paint was coming off the pipes, tiles were missing and water pressure was poor. The beds themselves were fine but headboards were very noisy. The floor was very dirty, and I don't believe they have ever cleaned under the beds.
There was a bar in the hostel, but I never saw anyone behind the bar. On the first night we went to the bar expecting to find some people to talk to and have a nice evening, but the only people in the room were very hostile looking staff, smoking and drinking themselves. So we didn't bother! Breakfast, although included in the price, and told what time to go for it as part of a tour, it was a pointless exercise. No-one waiting on the tables and one man who looked tired and hungover, manning the kitchen and taking orders. We ordered 2 french toast and a coffee, which took longer than half an hour to arrive, so we had to leave without to go on the tour that they had organised. The tour was very good! We went on a Great Wall tour to Mutianyu with stop offs at a Ming tombs, Jade factory, Silk factory and tea tasting, which was organised by an outside tour company through the hostel. However, that and the bed was the only good thing about this hostel. The staff can speak English but are not very enthuisiastic - one night we asked for a recommended restraunt and she could not give us one, telling us to pretty much find our own! Also the room was on the ground floor, and I was often woken by people speaking outside, shouting down the corridor etc (i'm guessing the staff as it was in Chinese). It was well located right next to a subway station - forbidden city is probably an hours walk away. Well done if you are still with me after a lot of longwinded whinging and moaning. I have stayed in other hostels in Beijing which were a much nicer experiance for the same amount of money. (Happy Dragon Hostel is the one i'd reccommend) In conclusion, just for a bed, stay here by all means, and the tour was good. Apart from that, the staff were terrible, the rooms dirty, service terrible, location manageable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The best part about this hostel is the location. It's only a minute's walk to the subway and close to sights like Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City. The hostel itself is quite cute and our room was clean. I don't recommend eating at the hostel's restaurant. The breakfast's were good but they ran out of food a lot and the meals were not great value for money. However within walking distance there are amazing restaurants along the main street. I recommend this hostel to those wanting to explore Beijing by day and sleep in a comfortable but cheap bed by night.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple