“It was as if they didn't care - an honest review”

Yingxiang Hutong Hotel
Ranked #9 of 994 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Reviewed May 2, 2012

So I shall tell you about my experience of 3 nights staying in the 9 Dragons House (Xinmao Hostel). Firstly, we found it very difficult to get an address of the Hostel in Chinese and although their website provided a map, there was no address to easily print out, or to have copied to show to a taxi driver. When we first arrived, we were put into a double room, however, we had booked in advance for a twin, so after bringing this up, we were given, very reluctantly a 3 bed room (a twin room with a very uncomfortable looking fold up bed with a very thin matress!) The toilet in the room was faulty (you had to take the lid off and poke something to allow it fill back up with water). The shower (chinese style shower) plug hole was filled with hair to the extent it flooded the bathroom and we had to remove it ourselves. Paint was coming off the pipes, tiles were missing and water pressure was poor. The beds themselves were fine but headboards were very noisy. The floor was very dirty, and I don't believe they have ever cleaned under the beds.
There was a bar in the hostel, but I never saw anyone behind the bar. On the first night we went to the bar expecting to find some people to talk to and have a nice evening, but the only people in the room were very hostile looking staff, smoking and drinking themselves. So we didn't bother! Breakfast, although included in the price, and told what time to go for it as part of a tour, it was a pointless exercise. No-one waiting on the tables and one man who looked tired and hungover, manning the kitchen and taking orders. We ordered 2 french toast and a coffee, which took longer than half an hour to arrive, so we had to leave without to go on the tour that they had organised. The tour was very good! We went on a Great Wall tour to Mutianyu with stop offs at a Ming tombs, Jade factory, Silk factory and tea tasting, which was organised by an outside tour company through the hostel. However, that and the bed was the only good thing about this hostel. The staff can speak English but are not very enthuisiastic - one night we asked for a recommended restraunt and she could not give us one, telling us to pretty much find our own! Also the room was on the ground floor, and I was often woken by people speaking outside, shouting down the corridor etc (i'm guessing the staff as it was in Chinese). It was well located right next to a subway station - forbidden city is probably an hours walk away. Well done if you are still with me after a lot of longwinded whinging and moaning. I have stayed in other hostels in Beijing which were a much nicer experiance for the same amount of money. (Happy Dragon Hostel is the one i'd reccommend) In conclusion, just for a bed, stay here by all means, and the tour was good. Apart from that, the staff were terrible, the rooms dirty, service terrible, location manageable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 24, 2012

The best part about this hostel is the location. It's only a minute's walk to the subway and close to sights like Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City. The hostel itself is quite cute and our room was clean. I don't recommend eating at the hostel's restaurant. The breakfast's were good but they ran out of food a lot and the meals were not great value for money. However within walking distance there are amazing restaurants along the main street. I recommend this hostel to those wanting to explore Beijing by day and sleep in a comfortable but cheap bed by night.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We really enjoyed Dragons House. We stayed there in a private room on two separate occasions. One for just a couple of nights and then we came back for a full week. The hostel is very close to the tube station, and to lots of places to eat. It is also within walking distance (30mins) to the Forbidden City and other key sites. To top it off, it is in one of Beijing's old hutong streets, so it has a great atmosphere, especially at night.

Do their great wall tour - they go to a part of the wall with no other tourists and amazing views.

Only downside is that the cafe is a little expensive for what it offers.

Room Tip: Take a private room if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aidan O
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Our first stop in China was 9 Dragons House and it really was a great place to stay.

The hostel is located very near to the subway station which made getting around Beijing really easy. The subway station is a 2 minute walk, if that.

The room was large and clean and perfect for the price. The hostel restaurant was OK, the staff weren't really very attentive and they ran out of food quite a lot of the time. But it was OK for your breakfast and basic meals.

The best thing about this hostel is Jeff, one of the guys that runs the place. When we needed help getting to places, booking train tickets, getting taxis, he was there to help us and wrote things down in Chinese for us. He also took us on a Great Wall trip where we visited a part of the wall which is not open to the public. it was absolutely amazing, a brilliant trip and I would really recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We booked this having liked the name"Dragons House" It took the taxi driver a while to find it, as it is down a hutong and tucked away. A great location. Simple room. Clean. Slept well. Could have had a lick of paint and brighter lightbulbs. Out the hostel, turn left, top of the road, over the road is a DIY cafe with excellent pastries and coffee. 4 cakes and 2 large lattes cost only RMB 40. Plenty of taxis around, all on meter with receipt given. Good tour desk. We booked for the Chinese opera. Great guide, great show. Cheap internet desk. Nice staff except for one lady receptionist who must have had an off-day. Cafe/restaurant allowed smoking which was not on. Extensive menu but plenty of eating places outside. Close to ATM machines and a 10 minuite walk to the Post Office. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Look at 3 rooms, pick the one you like.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hostel is known as 9 Dragons house. Came across it last minute and I liked the location. It's one minute away from the subway and down a hutong near a main intersection. The place is in a quiet neighborhood but because of the hostel size it can get loud inside. They have a bar on the first floor and on the third floor is an open patio where people can drink, eat, and hang out (my room was located right next to the patio).
My private room was large and clean with a double bed. It had all the usual necessities: TV, A/C-Heater, chairs and some nice pictures on the wall. My ensuite bathroom was adequate but European style as I'm finding is common in Beijing. Bed was fine but I'm also finding out that most hotel/hostel beds in China are only the box spring and not the mattress. So one night or two is sufficient but I wouldn't want a week on it!
I had European breakfast in the bar one morning and it was sufficient for 20 yuan. They serve all sorts of meals down there. I didn't have time or energy to see how the bar is at night but from what I heard in my room it must be a fun time (they have photos all around the hostel of previous guests enjoying themselves).
I will give this place 3.5 marks because I didn't push it to four. It's certainly not a bad place to stay but I will look elsewhere if I have the time as I'm more of a smaller establishment/private room traveller.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank shocktop
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This is not the sort of review I enjoy writing and I guess I must be careful what I say.

During my stay a money belt of mine went missing. I am the first to admit that it could have been stolen at the train station but I am 90% confident it was with me when I got to my room.

I reported this to the staff, they told me that they would review the CCTV. They did this and told me no one had been in my room but me. I know this is not true as the toilet roll in my room was changed on the second day, even though the rest of the room was not cleaned.

I asked to see the CCTV but was refused.

There is still a chance the belt was stolen before I reached the hotel, I am happy to except this possibility, but why did they lie about no one entering my room and why could I not see the CCTV footage myself?

I was left to wander off to another hostel without being given any confidence or any real attention.

I am not saying dont stay there, in fact it was a really nice place, but if you do hide your stuff properly......

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo