“Central bargain but beware noise”

Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing
Ranked #178 of 6,551 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed in one of the discount rooms in the basement for US$61 a night. This is a real bargain for the location. The room was a bit small, with no room for a reading chair or table. Reasonably clean, thought the grout in the bathroom is old and gray. TV has HBO-Asia and CNN but not much else. There is a ton of dining nearby with Wangfujing an easy two or three-block walk. But there is a building under construction and the work goes on all night long. I think being in the basement helped with this, and better rooms upstairs might have been even noisier. For me, I could ignore it with the air conditioner on. I don't think the construction will be over soon (as of Sept 2012).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The location and the room was fine. Nothing special but for the price and the location it was a good value. We had the breakfast once and glad we did because there are not many other options nearby. What I was not expecting was the large deposit fee that was put onto my card upon check in. $400! Lord only knows how much damage they thought I could do to the mini bar for that much. But the biggest complain was the reception staff. They were extremely rude, barely spoke a word of English and could not give the most basic assistance to a tourist in a foreign city. It took us over an hour to check in at 1:00 in the morning because there were so many people trying to check in and only one girl who could not speak English. While sitting in the lobby using the free lobby internet another guest told me that the staff had laughed at her when she asked about a golf course. The only advice we did get from the reception staff led us to a closed market in the middle of no where with no way of getting back. So the hotel itself is fine and the location good, but go in knowing that the staff will not be helpful in the slightest bit and will likely make you mad at some point.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Altough I did not expect much from hotel, it was resonable cheap, clean as it could be - at lesat they changed our sheets and towels every day. Beds vas totaly OK, no any noise, and hotrl have beutiful patio. Bad things - no one, i mean NO ONE in entire hotel do not speak english, even for 1 word - so it would be suggested one know a bit of mandarin. WiFi was fast and stabile, and TV programme satisfactory.
But, when we was checking out they try to charge all the rooms ( we were group of 15 , in 8 rooms) for the things we "drink" from minibars - that we did not even open! They even told us to left rooms out only 10 minutes before check out, so they know we would not have enought time to argue with them about drink we did not drin. Luckilly, we left rooms 30 minutes earlier, and when leader of our group asked for the manager to come, they "forgot" about drinks. So it would be reasonble to, when arrive - write everything that was in the mini bar and when check time is near, be near person who will check the rooms - jut to awoy bad situations.

Room Tip: not the rooms in the basement!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed for a pleasant visit, May-June 2012. Great location, although a little hard to find when taxi drive in at 2300. Breakfast was enjoyable and satisfying start to the day.
Was able to walk to most venues I was interested in seeing and was able to make and complete a great tour to the Great Wall.

All around positive experience.
Only negatives...............no gym to speak of but wide avenues nearby great for jogging.
Coffee............................weak and expensive...beware

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a three-night stopover in Beijing and as time was limited, we needed a base in central location. The location is unbeatable and you cannot ask for more central location in this price. It is just minutes from Wangfujing and Tianmen Square, so we just walked to these sites, even if Beijing in general is nowhere near human-walking scale. The price we paid was less than 50 pounds a night with breakfast included. The breakfast has a wide choice of both Western and Chinese dishes, and for the price we paid, we were satisfied with it. The juice seemed too watery, but that is of course compensated by other selection of food....

I would say the hotel is about three and a half star. The room is not big but not too small, and the bathroom was quite decent size. The English level of receptionists varied greatly from person to person, so you need luck, really.

I wouldn't highly recommend the restaurant just across the hotel, but when you go out to the street and walk just one or two minutes up north (to your left), there is a little dimsum place which is very cheap and tasty. If you are really hungry and don't want to go distance, I'd recommend that dimsum place.

There is a pharmacy near the hotel, and if you need emergency medicine, you can get what you want with help of Lonely Planet language section, body language, helpful pharmacist and online translation tool.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor room (not basement), but I think maybe upper floor rooms may be more pri...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel was ok. Unfortunately our travel agent messed up the booking (again) and we had to pay 4500 yuan for the 4 days we were there. The staff weren't that helpful and didn't speak much english and I noticed a lot of other people were having issues checking in. I had to keep asking if they had been in touch with the booking agent (different company to the travel agent) and I really had to push the issue. I had also been in contact with the travel agent too. The room was ok the bed was quite comfortable but there was a tack sticking out from the carpet. They were also fixing the carpet runners and left them upside down in the stairs with the nails sticking up which I moved for they other guests. They are not safety conscious at all. It was a cheap hotel and you get what you pay for. Also wifi only in the lobby you can't get it in the rooms. Close to shops/markets etc. I got the money back too only after pushing the issue as well.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My 2 adult children and I stayed in this hotel for a 3-day tour of Beijing. The hotel is perfect for those who are in Beijing for a lot of sight seeing. It is within walking distance to Tianenmen and Forbidden City, and close to the Tianenmen East subway station. The room is comfortable and clean; the staff very helpful and friendly and knew enough English be of assistance. There are no good restaurants close to the hotel for those who don't want to have breakfast in the hotel, so be prepared to find one on your way to your destination. We thought the breakfast spread at the hotel was okay, but quite pricey and offered few Chinese dishes which we looked forward to. We tried the Chinese restaurant in front of the hotel main entrance, and were disappointed. I wouldn't mind going back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get third floor rooms facing the garden for a good view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family