“Not suitable for claustrofobic people ;-)”

and 1 more site!
Red Lantern House West Yard
Ranked #90 of 1,406 Beijing B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed in Red Lantern House West Yard (mind you, this is the little sister of Red Lantern House!) for 5 nights in December/ January. At first we couldn't believe there would be a guesthouse tucked away in this crappy looking alleyway.. but yes, there was. Behind the big wooden doors there is the guesthouse.
The receptionist spoke well English but didn't seem to interested in us. She was helpful when we asked, but not very welcoming.
It was terribly cold this time of year, so we were happy to discover that our room was warm, at least. The heater was blowing like crazy and we got 3 blankets.
To get there we had to cross different houses and little outside-areas. Everewhere blankets were hanging to prevent cold getting in. Very charming but : oooh.. if there would be a fire to break out - I wouldn't wnat to be here..... you'd be trapped.
Our room was tiny, and very colourful. Very colourful. I liked it but my bf felt a bit claustrofobic.
The walls are VERY thin.. but we were lucky, cuz there were hardly any tourists when we were here.
The thing we loved both: the lamp/heater in the shower!
The location of this guesthouse is OK. It's quite near to the metro, from where you can go everywhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SarahLu_NL
There are newer reviews for Red Lantern House West Yard

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked into a single room adjacent to one of the courtyards. It was very small but had all the amenities like shower, aircon, TV, water boiler. It was a bit hard to find from the metro station (almost nobody on the way there spoke any English), but once there the staff spoke good English, helped me to book some tours (to the Great Wall and a night at an acrobatics show both with transport), which was all good value. Once I found my way around, the historical courtyard hostel, which is located off the main street in a quiet hutong alley, is actually very close to a metro station, from where it's easy to get into the city center. Transport to the international airport at 5am in the morning was also punctual. All in all a good experience, not in the least due to the friendly staff. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have had many brief sojourns (long weekends) in the Red Latern, Beijing over the past 2 years and every occasion until now had always been a pleasure. Easy to check in, easy to get around and easy on the wallet.
On this occasion it has been a catalogue of disasters from start to finish.
1. When I arrived with my son for a weekend adventure in Beijing, we discovered that the RL team had booked us into the wrong site and sent us to the wrong address.
2. Having wasted valuable time finding the site, and made the staff aware of the issue the best they could offer in response was a double bed in the the hostel of our choice. Although not ideal we accepted gracefully, as there wasn't an alternative due to the Chinese National holiday. Both my son and myself are well over 6 foot tall, and as you can image it wasn't the most comfortable of nights from which to begin our tour of this great city
3. We had requested a trip to the Great Wall and was told due to the Chinese holiday the trip would leave at 7am the following morning, and could we come for our breakfast at 6.30am prior to departure. Unfortunately when we arrived for said breakfast there were no staff to be seen anywhere on site and I was left to wander around looking to see what was available for my son and myself whilst we wait for the mini bus to arrive - a bottle of water each!
4. In general the staff like to take payment for your stay when you check in, on this occasion they forgot to ask for the payment and deposit until 10.30pm of our 2nd nights stay. They came pounding at our door to remind me of the fact and imply that we were somehow in the wrong for not having made payment. I had just assumed that I would pay upon check out.
5. The rooms, although clean and dry offered little in the way of privacy as each of the rooms face onto the central courtyard where all meals and socializing occur.

Generally I like the hostel and the staff that run it due to their friendly nature but expect better of this small chain of Beijing hostels. Unfortunately it seems that standards have begun to slip and the rosy glow with which I have held the Red Lantern over the years has begun to fade.

The Red Lantern doesn't posses a swimming pool so please ignore my rating of it below!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Flymoo7
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed in the West Yard for five nights in the Family room. The room itself was big and spacious, but quite stuffy and could use another window at least. Since this is a courtyard hotel, our kids spent a lot of time in the courtyard, especially with the fish and parrots. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This place is wonderful. The position is great, just 2 minutes walk from the Xisi Stop of Subway 4. It's an ancient courtyard house in a beautiful old hutong. The rooms are peaceful, spacious with ensuite bathroom and they all face two amazing courtyards filled with plants, flowers, red lanterns and tables. Breakfast is good and generous and if you want to have dinner here they have plenty of choice, the chef is very talented. At the reception the staff is competend and gentle, english speaking, and there is a wifi connection 24hours a day. They also arrange tours or transport for wherever you want.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank masmassi
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have stayed here once before in 2011 and had a good experience. I returned once again as my booking options were running out. This is one of four locations, I believe this is the newest one. The biggest problem which made the stay uncomfortable was that the rooms are not insulated. So with the temperature diving to 20F overnight I couldn't (and my two colleagues staying in other rooms) stay warm. They have a decent thick comforter on the bed and each room has a portable heater. But these weren't sufficient in keeping the heat in. It was a miserable sleep to say the least.
Other than that the place is a nice throwback courtyard premises with the ancient Chinese architecture and appointments. Nice wood trim runs throughout the place. It's a quiet venue too, since there's no hostel type rooms at this location. They serve food in the courtyard but when it's too cold (or hot) you can eat inside the heated/cooled lobby area. The showers are euro style (which means the toilet is right next to you when you wash) and the sinks are quite nice and also the bathroom has a heat lamp to help with that cold slumber you just woke from!
I probably won't stay here again unless I can't find another similar type hotel to book in. I will definitely avoid this location and probably the others too in the cold months.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this location in the winter months.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed here in October 2008 , at the end of the Olympics.
Make sure you have an address and telephone number for the hotel that a chinese taxi driver will understand or be prepared to be delayed if travelling from Beijing airport.
This hotel is basic , very basic , if you are prepared to "rough it" as I was you will be ok.

At the end of the street buses , which always seemed to be packed, run frequently , or the taxis will take you to Tiannemen Square or the Forbidden City (exactly opposite), for a reasonable price.
The main shopping street is Wangfujing street which is probably 10 mins by taxi.
One last point , there are very few Cantonese restaurants in Bejing.
Bejing style food is quite different! (The hotel staff will recommend the better establishments)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo