“Three Days at the Sofitel, Beijing”

Sofitel Wanda Beijing
Ranked #46 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Hillsdale, New Jersey
“Three Days at the Sofitel, Beijing”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stayed at the Sofitel in Beijing for just a few days (October 2013) and was most impressed. The room was decorated beautifully, and so well designed with the folding walls 'round the bathroom. It was so clever to have the shade by the bathtub, for privacy. It was very "high tech" and even the drapes opened and closed with the touch of a button. Our room was high so the view was spectacular. The morning breakfast had everything one could want: Asian, American and European food. The service was excellent. All the staff in the lobby area were most accommodating and happy that there were two sets of elevators, so everyone could quickly reach their rooms. What made me especially remember the hotel, was when the hotel manager, Mr. Cedric Besler, approached me and my friend, introducing himself. We spoke for a short time and then he asked if we needed any help. Mr. Besler offered to come to our room to explain where the control was for the drapes and how to remove the water from the bathtub. (This was explained at our arrival, but after a protracted flight, we did not remember everything). I stayed at four (or five) hotels while in China. Normally, this would have been a
blur. However, after 30 years of travel, no manager had ever introduced himself to me, so this made the Sofitel very special.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fredrik G, General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear noname733,

Thank you taking the time to comment on Sofitel Wanda Beijing.

Your comments on our property are highly appreciated and have been shared with our entire team. I am sure that this will be highly motivating and satisfying for all our Ambassadors. I am glad that you have enjoyed our facilities, rooms and restaurants. Thank you for your compliments.
I have furthermore shared your comments with Mr. Besler. It is our belief that every team member should strive for and engage in providing excellent services to our customers, this includes our management. To read your appreciations of this is highly inspiring and we will continue to strive for Magnifique experiences.

I wish you a Happy New Year and I hope to welcome you back in 2014.

Fredrik Genberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for 4 nights

Hotel looks quite modern and well maintained. Used the hotel as the base to visit the various locations around Beijing. Hotel is about 5 minutes from the local metro from which it takes about 20mins to get in to the city centre. The dinning options were on the expensive side and better options available elsewhere. The swimming pool was quite nice and tastefully decorated.

The major let down was getting a non smoking room as I had to swap twice even though I requested it prior to arrival.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Shiva 1312,

Greetings from Sofitel Wanda Beijing and thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read the heading of your comment as it describes one of Sofitel's main intentions and beliefs. We strive to create a blend of French Elegance and Culture with the local culture of each property. It is a pleasure to hear your recognition of this. Moreover, I am delighted that you have overall enjoyed your stay with us.

In regards to your comments on the restaurant I would like to inform you that we have reviewed our restaurant menus (including pricing), which have been launched recently. I do hope that we will get the chance to show you the improvements and a higher value. Concerning your non-smoking room request I would like to express my sincerest apologies. We strive to provide excellent services to our guests and to fulfill all requests and wishes. Our entire Front Office team has been informed about your comments and we will take appropriate measure to prevent this from future occurrence.

I wish you a great start into the New Year and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Buckeye, Arizona
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The hotel is modern and up-to-date. The staff is very helpful and communication is not a problem. It is within walking distance of some of the newest buildings that are very unusual. There are shopping malls within walking distance that are both hi-end and more economical. various restaurants are also in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredrik G, General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear JoeBrannin,

Greetings from Sofitel Wanda Beijing.

Thank you for your compliments. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at our property and also enjoyed the great location we have. We are indeed blessed with our central location and the surrounding area.

I have shared all your comments with our team and I am sure it will serve as an encouragement to all of them.

I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Burbank, California
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is a nicely appointed, tastefully decorated 5 Star hotel in a good location. The casual dining restaurant VIC is terrible value. I just paid 60RMB (US$10) for 4oz (120ml) of coffee. The service was also very slow. I arrived at 6am for breakfast, where there were at least 6 staff with no customers other than myself. Even so, it took 30 minutes for my food to arrive. Last night I had the Ribeye steak which cost US$50 (a little more expensive than a high-end steakhouse). It was 3/4" thick (steak houses normally serve a steak twice that thickness), and mediocre. Avoid VIC!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear KiwiAmericanMTB,

Thank you for taking the time to rate Sofitel Wanda Beijing on Tripadvisor.

I would like to express my sincerest apologies for your experience in VIC Restaurant. At Sofitel Wanda Beijing we strive to provide excellent services to all our customers and the value for money plays a major role in this. In this regard I would like to inform you that we are currently reviewing the pricing of our menus. The goal is to maximize the value for money, hence your comments are highly appreciated and very helpful. We hope that through the new prices we can avoid such experiences like you are describing. In regards to the service I would also like to inform you that we are currently retraining our Ambassadors in order to increase the service level.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future; this time not only enjoying our facilities but receiving an excellent value for money and service in all our restaurants too.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

A pleasure to stay at The Sofitel Wanda in Beijing. The room was the most luxurious I have stayed in in China. All furniture, fixtures and fittings were really well appointed and some nice touches. All hotel spaces were nice and breakfast was a feast to behold and well worth planning some time for. Plenty of nice places around the hotel to work, read, meet if you don't want to stay in your room or are travelling on business. Would be delighted to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ali S,

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Beijing and thank you for taking the time to comment on our property.

I am delighted about your compliments for our breakfast, location and facilities. Indeed we try to provide an excellent guest experience and all the mentioned factors play a major role in this pursue. Hence it is highly satisfying and motivating for all Ambassadors.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I would rate Sofitel Wanda in Beijing as well above average. As most of the hotels I have visited in Beijing, the location was excellent for business, being right in the heart of the city's CBD. The room was very comfortable, offerring everything that one could ask for. Clean, spacious and also near a variety of places to grab a quick bite between meetings or at the end of the day. Overall, per the title of this review, I would gladly go back and stay at this hotel. I was a little annoyed though with their internet policy that forces you to become a member of the hotel's club in order to have internet. This is not a big deal, but it is definitely not something you want to have after a long trip.

Room Tip: Ask to become a member of the Sofitel group of hotels. This will give you free internet throughout y...