“Can't beat a stay here”

Ranked #45 of 6,491 Hotels in Beijing
Buckeye, Arizona
“Can't beat a stay here”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The hotel is modern and up-to-date. The staff is very helpful and communication is not a problem. It is within walking distance of some of the newest buildings that are very unusual. There are shopping malls within walking distance that are both hi-end and more economical. various restaurants are also in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredrik G, General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear JoeBrannin,

Greetings from Sofitel Wanda Beijing.

Thank you for your compliments. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at our property and also enjoyed the great location we have. We are indeed blessed with our central location and the surrounding area.

I have shared all your comments with our team and I am sure it will serve as an encouragement to all of them.

I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Fredrik Genberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Burbank, California
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is a nicely appointed, tastefully decorated 5 Star hotel in a good location. The casual dining restaurant VIC is terrible value. I just paid 60RMB (US$10) for 4oz (120ml) of coffee. The service was also very slow. I arrived at 6am for breakfast, where there were at least 6 staff with no customers other than myself. Even so, it took 30 minutes for my food to arrive. Last night I had the Ribeye steak which cost US$50 (a little more expensive than a high-end steakhouse). It was 3/4" thick (steak houses normally serve a steak twice that thickness), and mediocre. Avoid VIC!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear KiwiAmericanMTB,

Thank you for taking the time to rate Sofitel Wanda Beijing on Tripadvisor.

I would like to express my sincerest apologies for your experience in VIC Restaurant. At Sofitel Wanda Beijing we strive to provide excellent services to all our customers and the value for money plays a major role in this. In this regard I would like to inform you that we are currently reviewing the pricing of our menus. The goal is to maximize the value for money, hence your comments are highly appreciated and very helpful. We hope that through the new prices we can avoid such experiences like you are describing. In regards to the service I would also like to inform you that we are currently retraining our Ambassadors in order to increase the service level.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future; this time not only enjoying our facilities but receiving an excellent value for money and service in all our restaurants too.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

A pleasure to stay at The Sofitel Wanda in Beijing. The room was the most luxurious I have stayed in in China. All furniture, fixtures and fittings were really well appointed and some nice touches. All hotel spaces were nice and breakfast was a feast to behold and well worth planning some time for. Plenty of nice places around the hotel to work, read, meet if you don't want to stay in your room or are travelling on business. Would be delighted to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ali S,

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Beijing and thank you for taking the time to comment on our property.

I am delighted about your compliments for our breakfast, location and facilities. Indeed we try to provide an excellent guest experience and all the mentioned factors play a major role in this pursue. Hence it is highly satisfying and motivating for all Ambassadors.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I would rate Sofitel Wanda in Beijing as well above average. As most of the hotels I have visited in Beijing, the location was excellent for business, being right in the heart of the city's CBD. The room was very comfortable, offerring everything that one could ask for. Clean, spacious and also near a variety of places to grab a quick bite between meetings or at the end of the day. Overall, per the title of this review, I would gladly go back and stay at this hotel. I was a little annoyed though with their internet policy that forces you to become a member of the hotel's club in order to have internet. This is not a big deal, but it is definitely not something you want to have after a long trip.

Room Tip: Ask to become a member of the Sofitel group of hotels. This will give you free internet throughout y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fredrik G, General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Polpan1973,

Greetings from Sofitel Wanda Beijing and thank you for taking the time to rate us.

Your feedback and compliments are very satisfying and I am very happy to hear how much you appreciate the location of our property as well our facilities. We are indeed blessed with our central, prime location and I am glad to hear that we successfully manage to combine this with the great service we strive for.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel Wanda Beijing in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 7, 2013

A hotel must be really good or bad to have travelers write a review for it. Whilst I spent half of time on travelling around the world, this is the very first review I want to write on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, Sofitel Beijing fell to the second category and made me really want to give some feedback to other travelers and management of Sofitel (if they really read the comments and take it seriously).

In summary, this is just a common local five star hotel with poor service standard in Beijing but bearing the Sofitel brand name. I stayed at this hotel for 1 week in a normal room and will be staying for another 2 weeks in a club room. The experience of the service standard was terrible. It seemed that the staff, especially the staff at the front desk and lobby have not received proper training regarding how an international five star hotel service standards should be; how guests should be greeted; and how guests' requests should have been handled with care or even basic manners.

Being a Le Club Accor Silver member, I did not receive any welcome gift as stated in the member handbook upon check-in. When asking for a simple request from the hotel, the answer was a simple and strict No, instead of finding appropriate solutions for its guests.

Anyway, my advice to other travelers looking at this hotel, if you are expecting excellent service standards as how a typical five star hotel should be, then I would suggest you to book with Shangri-la or Ritz Carlton nearby. However, if you are just looking for an OK hotel with good facilities and proximity to the train station, then it is tolerable to stay at Sofitel Beijing.

P.S. Due to its proximity to my office, I need to stay here for another two weeks......... but I do go to Shangri-la hotel nearby to have my dinner and where I can rejuvenate myself with how a 5 star hotel should be.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jackie20133
Dear Jackie20133,

Thank you for your detailed and extensive feedback. I highly appreciate your sharing with us and I want to furthermore thank you for taking the opportunity to meet with Mr. Sparberg. He has shared all your comments during your meeting and they have been communicated with our entire team. I would like to express my apologies for your experience. We strive to provide excellent services at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, hence your feedback is very helpful. As Mr. Sparberg has already informed you, we are currently working on intensive training of all Ambassadors. I hope that we will get the chance to show improvements very fast and make the rest of your stay more enjoyable.

Again, I am sorry for your experiences and highly appreciate your effort to share them with us.

USA
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The room, the amenities ,the service, the location were outstanding! From the moment we entered the hotel after our long flight we were impressed with the personable greetings and exceptional charm of the hotel. Don't miss the breakfast!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredrik G, General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Kathy53Usa,

Thank you for rating Sofitel Wanda Beijing on Trip Advisor.

It is such a pleasure to read your remarks on our Property. Your compliments are highly motivating and it fills me with great pleasure to hear that you appreciate both our facilities as well as the services provided by our Ambassadors. I have communicated all the compliments to our team, thank you for the feedback.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future.