“Highly Rate Sofitel Beijing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Wanda Beijing

Sofitel Wanda Beijing
Ranked #42 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
Perth, Australia
“Highly Rate Sofitel Beijing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My sister and I traveled very quickly thru China in 5 days we went to Shanghai,Xian and Beijing.
The Sofitel Renmin Square Beijing was fantastic.There are two wings to this hotel East and West,the area is very large and the hotel is one of the best.I would rate it 5 star at least.
The staff are very helpful the restaurant menu is excellant and the rooms are very comfortable.
You can walk to the large shopping malls so it is situated in a good area.
Very safe for 2 ladies (over 60) to walk back to the hotel at night .

Room Tip: If you want a non smoking floor just ask for that at check in and they will make sure that you have...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cedric B, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear AnnPerth,
Very happy to read your comments on TripAdvsor.
I am not sure if you stayed in Xian's Sofitel or Beijing as Sofitel Renmin Square is in Xian. However, Sofitel Wanda Beijing is also located in the CBD area with convenience surroundings. I am glad you like our brand and hope you can come and visit us soon.
Betty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

A 5 star hotel in Beijing with the nicest indoor lap pool, wonderful spa and excellent gym for those travelers looking for an active stay. Great breakfast and variety of restaurants. And all staff very friendly with kids.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Daveadler,
Very happy to read your comment on TripAdvisor.
I am glad you have enjoyed our facilities and I hope you can come back visit us again.
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Fantastic hotel. Close to Subway which is simple to use for getting to and from the airport (and for dodging the crazy Beijing traffic). Room service meals were average and expensive but there are many local restaurants in the area which offer a local alternative. The rooms are fantastic, service even better! Highly recommended for solo female travellers. I also booked a tour to the Great Wall through the hotel which was a fantastic price (AUD$ 55).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cedric B, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Penelopeobrien,
Very happy to read your comments on TripAdvisor.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Sofitel Wanda Beijing. Please rest assured that I will also share your feedback regarding the food value with related department head for him to pay specific attention in the future.
Thank you again for sharing your experience. Hope to see you again soon.
Have a good day!
Regards,
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed on two separate occasions. The hotel lived up to my expectations both times. The weaknesses are the usual ones of an unresponsive building environmental systems, rooms always too hot, beginning to show the wear and tear of a few years in operation and breakfast staff with limited training; however, these are forgiven when exposed to the attentions of Damien Alvarez the Heritage restaurant Manager and Chef Michael Jakovljev. Both these gentlemen consistently went out of their way to understand your preferences and respond with a dining experience and customized menu to exceed expectations. All made the more memorable if you allow yourself to be guided by Damien in the wine choices. His paring of wine to the course made the experience doubly enjoyable.
Regrettably the pool was not available for one of my visits. To counter the effects of jet lag there is nothing better than an early morning swim in their huge pool. Great atmosphere and its serous size makes doing laps a joy.
I will stay again.

Room Tip: A room on the west face gives one a great view to yet another massive construction activity as this...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cedric B, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Michael522,
Very happy to read your comments on TripAdvisor.
Thank you very much for the recognition of Damien and Chef Michael. I will definitely share your feedback with them. Besides, we are also aware of some of problems you have mentioned here and our team will pay specific attention in the future.
Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I wrote an excellent review of this hotel 19 months ago. I had a very good experience then. Therefore, when returning to Beijing on business, I made sure that I reserved a room here again.

When I arrived, things were looking up: the hotel lobby was just as beautiful as before and the scent of the hotel was just as I remembered it. Very nice. Then, as I arrived very late (but had let reservations know of my late arrival time beforehand), the gentleman at front desk alerted me that I had been upgraded to the club level. Score! My 10th stay at an Accor property and first upgrade. Yeah!

Then....everything fell down. The room was just the same as the room I had during my last stay on the 19th floor. Nothing different from a normal room -- just access to the club lounge....or so I thought.

The next morning I went down to the big breakfast buffet restaurant on the 6th floor (it's included in my corporate rate). The last time I was there the restaurant had wonderful food and a huge selection. The service was great (for China) and the coffee was top notch. Well....fast forward to March, 2013. Two mornings in a row I was seated and asked what I'd like to drink by the hostess. I said "coffee" each time. She acknowledged and walked away. Both times I waited 15 minutes with no coffee. Finally, I went up to the host stand and said -- on both occasions -- will I be receiving my coffee soon? There were 2-3 hostesses at the stand just chatting amongst themselves and laughing together. They couldn't be bothered with coffee. Pretty cool for a $30 breakfast, eh? And when the coffee came it was still the french press, but the quality of coffee wasn't nearly as good. They went much cheaper and it shows. A shame. The food on the buffet was similar to last time, but difficult to get egg service. The cooks were more interested in talking to each other in Mandarin. We were more of a bother than a customer. One of the asst. managers actually cut me off at the buffet to fill To Go bags for someone/something. Just supremely lousy service.

Then comes the following night when I decided to venture into the club room. Finally...serenity now! Nope. I gave her my name and room # (top floor - club floor). I was told in front of a group of other guests that I was not allowed to use the club lounge. I was told my upgrade was only for the room and not for the club (even though my card allowed me access to the lounge...hmmm). So, I left. Never heard of being upgraded to club level but no club level lounge access. Bizarre. Especially since the room is nothing beyond a normal room -- just a longer elevator ride to/from work each day. haha

Well, when looking through the Sofitel policy guide 2 nights later (for information on local telephone calls...i got burned on this in India once), I noticed that their policy is to give access to the lounge to "all club level rooms". I told this to the manager on duty and she said this is true, but that I did not pay for a club level room. I told her that wasn't the policy and she tried to refute it . I asked her w hat an upgrade got me, then, and she could not respond. After arguing with her for 5-6 minutes, I guess she thought I was not going to go away, so she said I could use the lounge the final 2 nights (out of the 6 I stayed there), but gave me an "eat sh!# and die" smile as she offered it. I really don't need surly service like this.

Speaking of management, I think that is where the problem lies in this place now. Unlike my first visit, none of the employees smile. None. Bell cap? No. Front desk? No. Servers in the breakfast dining? No. Hostesses at breakfast? No. The only smiling ones I saw worked in the club lounge. A nice host in the lounge was talking to a guest. The guest queried: "Do you like working here?" and she honestly replied, "Meh." That was bold of her to tell the truth and also very telling of the motivation the employees have from management these days.

Also noticed less understanding of English from employees than the last time I was there. Perhaps they've lowered the pay and are attracting a lower level of employee. Or perhaps the good employees have all left due to poor management.

I give the hotel 3 stars because the design, cleanliness, and detail of the common areas, rooms, bathrooms are without reproach. This hotel could easily be 6 stars, based upon the guest rooms and common rooms. They're of superior quality. Think high end Four Seasons, not just the average Four Seasons. It's such a pity. This hotel is management and service away from being an absolutely superior hotel.

Room Tip: Get the cheapest one they offer. The upgraded rooms aren't worth the cost. Room service is ver...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ATLconsultant
Dear ATLconsultant,
I am very glad read you comments on TripAdvisor and I am sorry that we brought you such an unhappy experience. Please rest assured that we will listen and learn from your voice and share your feed back with our senior management team for them to look into the matters you have mentioned here.
Here now I just hope you could give us another opportunity possibly in the future when you are in Beijing for us to wipe out this unpleasant experience and create a Magnifique memory instead.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our week long holiday in Beijing. As with most Sofitel, hotel had great facilities and great cleanliness and comfort! Definitely 5-star rafting. The only setback we felt was that the price of F&B was way too high. And yet the food quality and quantity was much lower as compared to other Sofitel we stayed in. Of course different countries had different standard of living so we cannot complain if price is higher in the capital of China. However even the culinary skills is not up to the standard given the price. Perhaps this would be something that management could look into, we could not mind eating in the hotel if the food is good, even if price is higher. A it was, we resorted to walking to nearby malls to have our meals.

As for service we didn't give 5-star as we saw long queues both at Checkin and checkout. We arrived at 2 am and still needed to stand in line. At Sofitel Phnom Penh, we sat at the Checkin lounge, we were served refreshing welcome drink while the being checked in. That was world class service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cedric B, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Sohyin,
Very happy to read your comments on TripAdvisor.
I am glad you liked our facilities. Regarding the food value and checkin and out effeciency, please rest assured that I will share your suggestion and feedback with related department heads for them to pay specific attention in the future.
Your checkin experience in Phnom Penh is a very valuable reference for us. Sometimes peak time check in and out is unavoidable, but we can always offer other service to make our guests feel comfortable.
Thank you again for your comments and notice.
Hope you can visit us again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Excellent hotel in all aspects except the club lounge.
Club lounge had good variety on the evening snacks. But nothing vegetarian.. even upon asking each day of my stay. They need to understand that a couple of vegetarian items can be put on the snacks, especially if a vegetarian guest requests. Example, They had pizza with meat topping, but could not offer a vegetarian one in 4 days.
Front desk, concierge, room service, house-keeping, all did a good job. The front-desk and concierge spoke good english.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear MaverickVin,
Glad to read your comments on TripAdvisor.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay. And I am sorry for not giving you enough vegetarian food choice. Your feedback is a a very good lesson and reminder to us, because now our hotel is not only dedicated to provide with quality service, we also try our best to provide guests with "cousu main" service which is customized service. Please rest assured that I will share your feedback with our club lounge staff and reinforce the importance of paying attention to every guest request.
Thank you very much for your notice.
Hope you could visit us again.