“April 2012 in China”

Ranked #45 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Florida
“April 2012 in China”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My niece and I booked the China Sampler small escorted tour to China through AAA. Our first hotel was the Sofitel in Beijing. There were 10 of altogether. Nice hotel, with professional but friendly staff. As our guide helped matured couples check in, my niece and I plus a few others, checked in on our own without problems. Hotel lobby very nice, spotless, huge, welcoming. Other staff, friendly, helpful. Room was clean and neat. Bathroom small, however, we weren't there to spend our time in the bathroom. Breakfast included Western, European, Asian foods and was good. Good wait staff at hand for your needs. Hotel is in a good and safe location, with a Walmart next door. We felt safe strolling out on our own both evenings and mornings. I enjoyed Beijing and our stay at Sofitel. Would recommend it or stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your Magnifique Journey in the Sofitel Wanda Beijing. It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments.

I will share your feedback with my team which will definitely serve as an enouragement to us for future improvement the quality of service.

Once again, we appreciate you sharing your comments and looking forward to your next visit.

Direcort Of Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ottawa
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This impressive looking hotel when you walk in, could be a five star if they had better staff training. It was clear they made great efforts in some areas, but clearly fell flat on their face in others.

We had horrific service in the lobby bar on three seperate occassions. We stayed here four nights through a China packaged tour. The rooms were lovely and very comfortable - what I expected. The bar staff could not speak any English (don't know the word wine or menu....so we couldn't even point at anything). They are clearly learning about wine etiquette - we did get a carafe of wine without glasses. We waited twenty minutes for glasses - even after asking again. You will get charged $12 for a very small bottle of water - you can't seem to get water from a jug like you do in the breakfast area.

The front reception was the worst of all - they were cold and rude. We attempted to verify our room number for our last night's stay as it was an extension to our three day package. We wanted to ensure we did not have to change rooms. Not only was the front desk person unhelpful, she directed us back to our travel agent to have our reservation changed - they would not honour our travel voucher! Somewhere along the way they had us arriving a day later and although the room was paid in full and there was room at the hotel, they would not change our reservation. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor on duty and she flat out refused - saying there wasn't one! I disagreed with her and said there is always a supervisor working. She looked away from me and starting dealing with another client. Disrepsectful and insulting - this is five star service? Anna needs some serious help with her customer interaction skills!

In addition to the rude and unhelpful service at the front desk and in the bar, we had our electronic keys to the room de-activated on two occassions. How frustrating is that? The front desk provided no explanation or apology. In fact, it was the sheer apathy of the service people in general, that added to our poor experience. They seemed to care less. I will say that the manager at the restaurant VIC did an excellent job with customers and it was clear he was making an effort to train his wait staff - we witnessed it and appreciated it. So, even when we didn't get replensihed coffee or we got warm drinking water rather than cold, we saw that they were trying and that was OK with us. There is no room for being superior to, or apathetic to your customers.

They need to figure out how service makes a great hotel. They certainly have the decor and rooms to brag about. It really is unfortunate as our friends who were with us always love the Sofitel - Paris, New York and search them out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel F, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Beijing. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

doq@sofitelwandabj.com
California
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is the hotel that our escorted tour used for our time in Beijing. We came in 2 days early so we could experience Beijing on our own. After reading numerous reviews about the mood of the front desk staff during check in, we were not expecting much. Our experiences were better than posted, but that could have been because we had our tour guide asisting us. The lobby is huge and quite impressive upon entering. Once we received our keys and briefing from our guide, it was up to the room. A nice layout (see pictures) and a decent view. Now for my pros and cons.

Pro:
-The room is quite big
-Separate shower, toilet, and tub
-Confortable bed
-Controls by the bed closes the curtains and turns off the lights
-A nice big TV with media center to plug in your own video equipment
-The hotel provides 2 bottles of water every day for you to drink and use to brush your teeth
-A very good breakfast buffet (arguably the best on our trip) with numerous selections of American, Chinese, Japanese, and French items
-Good location with restaurants within walking distance
-Concierge was very helpful recommending restaurants and hotel info cards in case you use taxis
-Walmart a block away (entrance on the back side of hotel)
-10 minute walk either way to subway station

Cons:
-Counter space in bathroom is very limited
-The make-up table is only meant for short people (my wife is 5'8" and it was difficult for her to use)
-Laundry cost was VERY expensive
-Mini Bar REALLY expensive; more than usual
-Toilet space is a bit small
-The room power does not work unless one of the keys is left in the slot just inside the door (common international practice). Unfortuanely neither does the AC. After a long day out sightseeing in warm weather, trying to return to the cool room for a quick refresher never happened. Our room never got lower than 19 degrees Celsius, and that was on the last night after having left the key in all day long.

TIPS:
-buy some plug adaptors before you come to China. Most of the camera and I-Phone plugs can accept between 110v & 240v. We bought 3 prior to coming and never once had to bring out our converter.
-bring some laundry soap (or buy some from Walmart next door) and do some of your laundry in your tub and hang dry.
-you can also stock up on drinks and snacks at Walmart for your day trips.

Overall, out of the 5 hotels we stayed at in China (Hilton - Xian & Shanghai; JW Marriott - Hangzhou; Holiday Inn - Suzhou), this ranks #2. Check out my other reviews for these hotels.

Room Tip: Get a 3rd key to leave in the slot in your room to keep the room's power on while you are out.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Beijing. It is always be pleasure to receive the positive comments.

Your detailed feedback is not only helpful for other travellers in Beijing, but also help us idenfy the improvement opportunities through our daily operation.

Thank you again for your sharing and we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night. As a member of Accor Advantage Plus, I received an excellent deal for the hotel.
This is one of the best luxury hotel I've ever been.
Location is good, on the line 1 subway, 5 mins walk to Dawang Lu subway station
Service was great and everybody speaks a good to excellent english, which is rare to find in China.
They provides free wifi internet service in the room with excellent speed.
Bed are very comfortable and the pillow menu was marvelous.

The only drawback was a little incident I experienced. I was taking the rear entrance door and there were one chinese little boy whom seems to be mad on something slammed the door so hard and it bounced back hit me quite hard (I was walking right behind him). It was one of the hotel staff standing nearby (a western guy) whom opened the door for me right away but he didn't say any words on the incident. Behind me, was my 6-years old son walking, I couldn't imagine if the door was slamming into my son. And as being expected, the boy's mom was nearby and seems not even trying to do anything to prevent this, she only say "dui bu qi/sorry", a few minutes after the incident after I staring at her.
As the incident was happening inside the premise, I was expecting for the hotel staff whom I guess was a senior staff, more apologetic than just opened the door.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Daniel F, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you telling us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Beijing. Please accept our sincere apologies for the incident happened during your stay and we failed to take the timely action to recover.

I will share your feedback with my team which help us strive for a better service in the future.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forwart to welcoming you back soon.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Great staff - very helpful and professional. Location near subway which makes it easy to commute. lots of eating joints within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank samba4
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for telling us about your Magnifique Journey at the Sofitel Wanda Beijing. It is our pleasure to receive the positive comments.

I will share your feedback with my team which I believe will serve as an encouragement for future improvement.

We appreciate your sharing and wish to see you soon.

London
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place provides a great antidote to the volumes of people & aggressive atmosphere in Beijing. The rooms are so well appointed it was a great choice for a business trip. I didn't have time to test out the spa or dining but the accommodation was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your Magnifique Journey at the Sofitel Wanda Beijing. It always be our pleasure to receive positive comments from our guests. I would highly recommand to try our new opened Chinese Restaurant, Yi Pin Huai Yang, which blends intimate high end atmosphere with the best of Huai Yang Cuisine.

We appreciate you share your feedback and look forward to your next visit in the near future.

Gold Coast
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is an excellent hotel in a very good location, within ready access to Tianaman Square and other tourist features. Externally the building is unassuming and is set back from the main road hence noise levels are negligible. Service is excellent and as we were upgraded to a Club Room we were looked after very well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel F, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, May 28, 2012

Bonjour!

Thank you for telling us about your Magnifique Journey in Sofitel Wanda Beijing. It is our pleasure to receive positive comments from our guests.

I will share your feedback with my team which will serve as an encouragment for a future improvement.

Thank you for sharing and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.