“Great Location”

Ranked #188 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
West Midlands
“Great Location”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We recently stayed at the King's Joy and considering the money we paid, I would recommend it so long as people aren't expective The Hilton. The checkin procedure was quick and we were able to make good use of the free luggage storage upon checkout. The hotel is a ten minute walk from Tiananmen Square with restaurants and shops in the very near vicinity. The beds were comfortable although, they were not always made by housekeeping (some days they were, some not), but this was fine. The bathrooms would benefit from being cleaner (and probably updated) but it wasn't a huge problem. The bar on the top floor provided good views of the city and the prices, whilst more expensive than elsewhere, were reasonable for a hotel in a city centre. The Western food on offer was also decent.

There is free wifi in the bar and in the foyer and a security guard on watch during the evening. At night the hotel was quiet and our room was well air conditioned.

The staff on reception were not particularly friendly, but they weren't rude either. My only complaint would be that when we checked out of the hotel and asked them to order a taxi they shooed us out. I was left to believe they'd call us a taxi and we should wait out front, but this was not the case. Having waiting outside for ten minutes we realised that we were supposed to flag down our own taxi, which is nigh on impossible in Beijing. Fortunately, the young lady in the Business Centre who books the tours was on hand and she arranged a private transfer even though it was very last minute. We were very grateful to her as the ride to the airport was stress-free.

In the business centre it's possible to book tours and trips. We booked the Great Wall through them and we couldn't fault either the actual booking or the trip itself.

Over all, I think this hotel is perfect for backpackers, those on a budget or those who only need a bed to crash in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The staff speaks English! They were very helpful during my check in, I had no problems at all. I am staying in a standard twin room, its small but more than enough for me. The room smells a little smokey but the room, bedding and bathroom is clean. There is also a kettle to boil water. The bed is super comfortable for me, after sleeping on many very hard mattresses here on China.

All in all, I am very happy...my only minor gripe is that noises in the hallway are very loud and distracting when you need to sleep.

Its very close to a lot of small markets, shops and restaurants, really nice to be close to all the touristy stuff and the metro subway.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, 10 minute walk from Tiananmen Square and Qianmen Metro Station on Line 2. There were shops and restaurants nearby - the restaurant next door was really good.

The rooms were basic but having spent 2 weeks in China, they were a lot cleaner and better appointed than other places we have stayed. We stayed in 2 rooms and one room was better than the other, particularly in terms of the condition of the bathroom.

The staff were extremely unhappy. Despite our smiles and attempts of hello in very poor Mandarin, there were rarely smiles back. In the upstairs bar, staff were often asleep on the sofas in the morning and a bit reluctant to serve us. The reception staff were equally as unhappy in their job, except one lady who I think was called Jenny who was extremely helpful.

There is a buffet breakfast downstairs, and again the staff were miserable and not very helpful. We ate once at the buffet and were there as it was opening so there was lots of choice. Later in the morning, it looks quite depleted and unappetising. The bar upstairs cooks to order though so no real problem.

There is wifi in the upstairs bar which worked well for us.

We got a better rate by booking online through hostelworld.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2013

In Australia I wouldn't like this hotel, but for China this wasn't too bad. Small room, kind of dirty shower but an awesome location. As Beijing is so big I would probably try another area if I returned but if you need to stay near Forbidden City and need cheap accommodation I would pick this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Carla M
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've stayed at King's Joy in May 2013, with two girlfriends. We've paid 540 rmb for two nights (about 10 euro per night per person) for a room with two berth. The room is not big, but reasonably clean and comfortble. It has free towels on demand and free wi fi on the rooftop bar. You can use one of the two computers close the reception for some coins too. The staff in the reception speaks basic english. There's a restaurant where you can have breakfast for 25 rmb (around 3 €). It has chinese food but some bread, toasts, boiled eggs, fruit and juices too... I think it isn't worth the price: you can eat on the streets for much lower price. The "must" on this hotel is, in my opinion, the location: you're 10 minutes away (walking) from Quianmen subway Station, 12 from Tian'anmen Square and 20 from the Forbidden Citty, and in the very close surrondings of the hotel you have lots of nice chinese restaurants, shops, supermarkets and, the best, you have the living hutong. You can't miss a walk around it in early night, it's such an experience!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aishe_Sophia
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at King's Joy at the the beginning of August for 3 days. It was my 1st accomodation in China and I've been pleased with this nice place. The hotel is half way between an hostel and a hotel, I had a private ensuite room, it was small (Chinese standard), but clean and also the bathroom was clean enough (as I'll experience further in China, it's not a standard to have a clean bathroom). The hotel is very central, like 10-15 minutes walk from Qianmen subway station(so very close to Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City. It is also few minutes walk from Dashilar street and its shops. In the surrondings you will find many places where to eat, they are mainly for locals, but if you're starving there's also Mc Donald's few steps away. The hotel also offers a nice bar with view where you can have Western food or a beer. Western food is expensive for Chinese standards, also I ordered an hamburger twice and got it cold twice..so nothing special. There's also a booking desk that can help you with train reservations..I got my train tickets there and they speak medium English.. I also went to Mutianyu Great Wall tour with them, it was 280yuan per person including transportation, entrance fee, breakfast and lunch, pretty good in my opinion, I would reccomend it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SamAroundtheworld83
East Midlands
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel/hostel is in a great location, about 10 minutes walk from Tienanmen Square and the Forbidden City, as well as Qiaxmen metro stop. It's also surrounded by hutongs which are really nice for wandering around and there are loads of shops and restaurants nearby.

I stayed in both a 4 bed dorm and a twin room and both were clean, with good air conditioning and comfortable beds. Towels are not provided in the dorm rooms so be prepared to bring your own. Dorms are really good value for money.

Decent wifi is available in the bar on the 6th floor which has nice views over Mieshe St and the city. Computers with internet are available but you have to pay. The twin room had an internet cable if you want internet in your room.

The food from the bar is quite nice but can take ages to arrive, plus if you're in a group you might find it all comes at different times. They do special offers on different nights on food and/or drink which isn't bad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo