“An Unique and Wonderful Hotel”

Hotel Cote Cour Beijing
Ranked #72 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Salt Lake City
“An Unique and Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We booked two nights upon recommendation from a friend via email. After we stayed for the first night, we were so impressed that we turned two-night stay into seven-night stay. The location is ideal, right in the downtown of Beijing with walking distance to subway stations, big shopping centers, and a short taxi ride to major sightseeing spots. It is extremely quiet due to the fact that it is located in the middle of an alley. The court yard is very spacious with seating and umbrellas for breakfast and relaxation; considering the expensive real estate in Beijing, this is a luxury. The lounge is well decorated and offers plenty seating to meet friends or relax. I am particularly impressed by the art book collection in the lounge. We have a six-year old with us, and he had a blast picking dates with the hotel staff. The hotel offers Chinese style bikes for guests. My husband biked to a nearby pastry shop to get us breakfast several mornings. I brought my own coffee and had it made fresh every morning. We brought our own computer and the wireless internet worked well anywhere in the hotel. The service is superb and the staff is very responsive. I will definitely stay with them again in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Hutung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
east
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Recently spent 10 days in Beijing. We stayed in the CoteCour for 3 nights, on the recommendation of a friend. We were blown away. Great service, beautiful rooms, helpful and friendly staff

We had seen reviews that something had happened with the hotel, but all seems fine now. Apparently the previous owner was caught evading taxes and is in serious trouble. Whatever, it does not seem to have impacted our wonderful stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I stayed here last year, and really loved the place.

I am not quite sure of the details, but I believe the current operator took the hotel from the proprietor and designer Shauna Liu during the summer of 2009. So until this is resolved I am protesting. (Well as much as a negative recommendation counts as a protest) - when she gets her hotel back I will give it two thumbs up.

Regards.

Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
nessa88, current manager at Hotel Cote Cour Beijing, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
unfortunately, Ms. Liu was not the owner of the place and had tax problem with the tax bureau that affected the owner company's credit....we don't want to talk negative about Ms. Liu, so we just offer our fact and say no more....
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This is a nice respite in the bustling city and unfortunately we only had one night to enjoy it. The hotel had an electrical problem the day we arrived so we had to find another place, and we chose to move to Bamboo Garden. And having stayed at both places, I prefer Hote Cote Cour because it had more charm and a more intimate setting. It did feel a tad overpriced but it also felt more personal and sophisticated. The staff were extremely nice and gave us a free night's stay as an apology for the situation. This is not to say Bamboo Garden was a bad experience- it was a very choice -- good location, walkable to the lakes, bars and restaurants around. Good value but the compound seemed large and "hotel-ish" by comparison. Breakfast not included at Bamboo Garden but they have a spa on site and the 1 hour foot massage was terrific.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We booked this hotel in March for the first several nights of our honeymoon beginning on June 24th and received an email confirmation. A colleague of mine was very kind to arrange a car service to pick us up at the airport and take us to Hotel Cote Cour SL. Upon contacting the hotel on June 17th in connection with arranging the car service, she learned that the hotel was closed! They told my colleage, who speaks Mandarin, that they had been closed for weeks for renovation. When I contacted them to find out what was going on since we had a confirmation and no one had contacted us, they told me that they closed 2 days prior because of emergency utility construction. I don’t know which story is true but if my colleague had not found this out, we would have been stranded on their front porch with our bags and nowhere to stay…for the first night of our honeymoon after a long flight to Beijing! They replied with an apology and offered to arrange alternate accommodation but when we accepted that offer (I usually spend days researching to find the perfect accommodation with the most local charm but had one day before departing for our wedding festivities), they didn’t reply to my message overnight and I had to arrange something else myself. Very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kschwindt
nessa88, new manager at Hotel Cote Cour Beijing, responded to this review, August 5, 2009
Dear Guest, I am Vanessa, new manager for Hotel Cote Cour Beijing. i am very very sorry for what happened. we've removed the previous management and now everything back to normal. our website is www.hotelcotecourbj.com now and if u got a chance to come back to beijing, i will offer you a free stay at our hotel and i apologize for any inconvinience last time.

Vanessa, GM, Hotel Cote Cour Beijing
Toronto
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This is such a beautiful hotel, a Chinese courtyard hotel. Very friendly staff, great service. It is so relaxing and quiet, even though it is in the middle of a bustling hutong, which you can see from the rooftop terrace. The rooms have great beds, beautiful furniture. The place transports you back to a different era. I found the staff very attentive, getting tickets and booking cars for me, and giving me sightseeing suggestions. The location is great, in the centre of Beijing, close to subways. I highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
london england
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This hotel is something different. We spent 4 nights here in April 2009. The hotel is very charming, based around a pretty and realtively quiet courtyard and it is great to be able to sit outside when the sun shines, not possible in most western style hotels. Staff were mostly very friendly but some speak no English or French, including two of the receptionists, so it was sometimes difficult to communicate. No sign of the owner. Breakfast is in the small but airy and well furnished bar/sitting room and includes fresh fruit, a pastry (NB not for us croissant as mentioned in previous reviews) something cooked (egg, pancake, dumpling) all fresh, and weak coffee (espresso was available but 40Y extra). We had booked one of the best rooms but on arrival found that it had an outside window overlooking the building site opposite (work 18 hours a day) and was unacceptably noisy. The room we were given instead was tiny (only just room for a double bed - no room for our two big suitcases) although our daughter had a bigger room. We were not offered a better room even though the hotel was half empty for all our stay (one night we were almost the only guests). Also the shower in the bathroom did not drain properly - yuk! Moreover the discount we had been offered when making the bookinig was at first refused, in the rude way only chinese people can manage, until I showed the man at the desk the confirmation email. Being in a hutong is a mixed blessing - it is charming as other reviewers have said, but the taxis just wont go there so there is a 7-8 minute walk when you want to go anywhere or get home. The price for the rooms does not take account of the inconvenience or their size (you could stay in a 5 star hotel and still have change for what they ask here). I am glad I stayed in this place as it is a different experience but I wont be going back. It is hard to see how they can survive in the competitive Beijing market without a big drop in prices and a lot more client care.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
nessa88, manager at Hotel Cote Cour Beijing, responded to this review, December 25, 2009
Dear guest, i started to work here as General Manager since August, and all our receptionists can speak English. lots of our guests left wonderful comments to our staff on the guest book. I don't know what happened when you were here, but i hope we can welcome you again. thanks! Vanessa