“Fabulous Traditional chinese hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel

Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #91 of 6,445 Hotels in Beijing
india
“Fabulous Traditional chinese hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Situated in the 'hutongs' of Beijing, it is only 15 minutes away from Wangfujing Street. The first room they showed me was too tiny and heavily decorated that I felt claustrophobic. They then changed me to a bigger and a well lit room. I liked the traditional decor- there was a tea table/sofa sort of setting, a poster bed with beautiful upholstery and beautiful lantern like lighting. The breakfast area was a little small- but tastefully appointed with books. The staff in the reception were very helpful and spoke good english. The shower cabinet was too small-my stature is thin and yet my elbows were hitting the walls!

Room Tip: Not the one near the reception
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank chk86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

1. Location: Although it is located in central Beijing, it is actually not a great location - if that is important to you. It is located near the middle of a hutong (traditional street in Beijing clustered with homes) and is a good 5 - 10 min walk from the nearest main road. And taxis generally will not take you all the way in there (they drop you along the main street) as it is a big challenge to navigate the narrow streets. The nearest subway is a good 15 - 20 min walk away, on a subway line that does not get you directly to the main tourist sites. The walk to the hotel does indeed take you by some public toilets, which, at the wrong time of the day, can assault the orofactory senses quite strongly.

BUT it is very interesting that it is located in the middle of a place where Beijingers traditionally stay. So, it is a good way to get acquainted with local sights not usually on a tourist's to-see list.

2. Staff: They have problems with English but otherwise, they are simply splendid. Helpful and tries hard to accommodate guests' requests. My main experience was with the receptionists and dining room staff; all of which were pleasant and pleasing. It probably is helpful that I speak Mandarin.

3. Amenities: None whatsoever. It is a traditional courtyard home and packed filled with rooms, as these courtyard homes (siheyuan) were and many still are; thus, there isn't the luxury of space. Then again, amenities is not why this hotel should be chosen for.

There is free Internet service but it is not wifi. A computer terminal with Internet connection is available at the dining room though.

4. Dining: Breakfast is simple fare. The food - meats and vege - provided is authentically Chinese; which can be challenging. But a more Western-style breakfast of bread (toasted or otherwise), coffee and even eggs (of your choice) is available. Good enough for me. The space is very tight though, with only 4 tables; thus, if timing is bad, it will be hard to get a place to sit and eat.

5. Rooms: As is the case for courtyard homes, there is very little space available in the rooms, especially when they try to fill it with furniture so that it is more hotel-like. There is a toilet with a good (re: modern) plumbing system and shower with hot water. This is actually an addition as traditional cortyard homes do not come with toilets (hence, the public toilets seen all over); thus, I titled this review as being not "very authentic". I was there in a very hot summer and thus, the aircon was gratefully welcomed. There is a heater in the rooms and toilets, which I did not get to try. There is a TV set in every room but exclusively of Chinese channels only.

The doors are set in old wooden frames and can be hard to close securely if the technique is not right; I bring up this point only as I had the unpleasant experience of having an inconsiderate family of guests slamming their doors to shut them as they left for their day tours at 5am in the mornings. But, in a way, this is an authentic experience since the people that lived in the same courtyard in Beijing are usually not from the same family anyway and they would have to negotiate with these as well. Also, the rooms face each other and the translucent screens / curtains mean some loss of privacy and the need to be careful even in our own guestroom.

6. Others: The attraction of this hotel is that it gives some close semblence of how most ordinary Beijingers lived (in fact, many still do). There is a rich sense of history as most of these go back a long way, despite modern additions and alterations (especially post-49). It is not going to be like a modern hotel in anyway. To some, that will be the attraction.

Honestly, if this was my first visit to China or Beijing, I would NOT choose this hotel as there are too many other challenges for a novel visit. However, having been to Beijing a number of times, I like the idea of trying out something different. I would also not recommend it for travellers with children, as I think it is not fair to put them through this.

I really loved my experience here for the reasons listed above; but, it is not a truly authentic experience as Beijingers live in much more challenging conditions. Yet, in summary, I love it. Very much.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Asperger_Singapore
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

This is a very clean local hostel in inner hutong of Beijing. If you are fond of local culture, must try out this hostel. Decorations are even nicer at night, especially when all red lanterns are lightened up. Beds are comfortable, and bathroom is clean. Must try a sip of tea in the central garden. Reading under tree shade is absolute awesome. The only drawback is lacking international TV channels. But it doesn't matter, as we had preparation to fully experience the local culture. Hope more similar hostel would open in future in Beijing.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sihe for 6 nights. We normally stay in 4 and 5 star chain hotels but decided to experience a different sort of stay and we are so glad we did. The location in the hutong was just marvellous, so much local life to see we felt as though we had experienced the real Beijing and perhaps something that may disappear in years to come with the massive development of high rise accommodation for the locals. We felt privileged to experience it. The hotel was lovely and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful and provided us with a lovely driver to experience the great wall. Our room which I think was called an executive room was excellent. Large, clean and perfectly adequate for all that we needed. To stay in a building of such an age was fantastic it oozes character and charm. Breakfast was adequate but a local bakery was visited frequently by us for great croissants and coffee. Staying in the hutong in this hotel was one of the best things we did in our time in Beijing - wonderful sights were out of your front door.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kez1955
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Sihe Courtyard Hotel for 7 days in May 2011. On the second day we visited the Great Wall (with an outstanding guide recommended by the hotel - Alan Feng), where I hurt my foot.
That evening, I thought a massage would be helpful and sought the advice of the hotel. They recommended a doctor of traditional chinese medicine and arranged for us to be taken to his consulting rooms. He advised a visit to the hospital, and accompanied us. With the Sihe Hotel Receptionist acting as translator over the phone, the orthopaedic surgeon explained that I had a fracture and was given crutches and an orthopaedic boot. My husband and I subsequently decided that we would continue with our holiday and hired a wheelchair.

The Sihe hotel staff were fantastically helpful throughout our entire stay, and particularly with helping us on the evening I sustained the injury. The hotel was charming, spotlessly clean, quiet, and the location in the hutong was very interesting for us. We enjoyed the exposure to everyday Chinese life.

Breakfast was simple but perfectly adequate. Most evenings we ordered in food from the menu provided by the hotel. All those meals were really really good and incredibly good value.

All in all we had a wonderful stay and would stay again. The thing that particularly remains in our mind is the charm and helpfulness of the staff - more so than in any other hotel we stayed in whilst in China.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ballina3567
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

We (two adults and two kids, 9 and 12) stayed for 3 nights and loved it. The location and hotel is sensational if you want to "be in China" - if you want a Western style hotel this is obviously not the place. The hutongs of the neighbourhood are so full of character and life that you feel like you're in the heart of Beijing as soon as you step out of the door - and inside the room for that matter.

Staff spoke English, not fluently but capably, and were extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Families book the VIP room, others too small.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Howie60
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2010

My family and I had made several trips to Beijing but never in winter so we were hesitant this December when my cousin suggested we visit him in Beijing. He booked Beijing SiHe Courtyard Hotel for us. My family and I were amazed at the uniqueness of the hotel. My family got to experience history. This hotel, we learnt, was the former residence of an aristocrat, a famous artiste of that era. It combines old world charm with modern amenities. We were surprised that it was so comfortable inside the hotel and mind you, it was the middle of wintry Beijing. The location was another plus point for us. My kids love shopping and there are lots of shops just a walking distance away.
We have stayed in many big 5 star hotels in Beijing and around the world but it usually burns a big hole in the pocket..but not this Courtyard hotel that my cousin chosed for me. It may not be a 5-star hotel but we surely get 5 star treatment. But the mother of all caviar was that this is a unique, one of a kind hotel situated in a classic hutong (narrow alley way) that you can't get any where else. My only grouse was that I can't get to ride their bicycle round the hutong....I 'll surely come back to do this.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family