“Not bad hotel”

Marco Polo Parkside Beijing
Ranked #113 of 6,564 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed June 27, 2012

All in all, the hotel is not bad, and i am very enjoy in the kings size bed, which is so comfortable. Just the location of hotel is not very good, it's far from train station.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Jessie Q, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Parkside Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Yinliang, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review us. We are located in the heart of the Asian-Olympic Business District, which is close to the Olympic venues and China National Convention Center. There are various ways to travel to the city centre, which includes the Line 5 Subway Station (10 minutes walk from the hotel), bus, and taxi. Typically it takes around 40 minutes drive (off peak hours) or 1 hr drive (peak hours) to travel to the city centre. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again in Beijing very soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed at two different 5 star hotels in Beijing, the marco polo was the better one (the other one was the CNCC Grant Hotel which is adjacent to the conference center, better location, but service not so good and no pool, also they did not always refill the breakfast items there).

Marco Polo Parkside:
Great room (a little smaller but still very nice and clean), very friendly staff (great Consierge, had a staff member walk with us to the pharmacy to translate), outstanding breakfast buffet, very nice pool area. Mattress was harder than in the other hotel, but OK (I like hard, but it was borderline). Window did not open. Air in the room was not too great, AC worked OK. We had a room on the 14 th floor to the street side, but did not notice the traffic much.

Located at the olympic area (15 min), next metro stop (15-20 min walk). There is a supermarket and a bakery across the street. Avoid the Duck restaurant across the street (rip-off, more like a fast food place).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear M R, thank you so much for taking your time to post such a wonderful review of our hotel. Due to safety reasons, we have to keep all room windows closed, however, you can request our housekeeping personnel to assist you if you would like to keep your room window opened. The hotel is surrounded by an excellent choice of restaurants, supermarkets and bakeries, so be sure to take a stroll around the area on your next visit! We are also within easy walking distance to the 2008 Beijing Olympic venues and the China National Convention Center. Once again, thank you for your kind review and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were checked in at this hotel for 3 nights as part of a tour group. The room and bathroom were really spacious compared to other Marco Polo hotels we've stayed in. For me, the mattress was not that hard as the others would comment on other hotel mattresses in China (I'm used to an orthopedic type of mattress). Bathroom lacks towel racks. I loved the fact that the shower and the bathtub were separate. Not enough international TV channels. The staff was having a hard time communicating in English. Breakfast was ok, but some dishes were cold and could use some variety.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank travelalt3
Jessie Q, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Parkside Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2012

Thank you for your informative feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed the facilities and amenities of our rooms. Regarding tv channels, we are currently in the midst of reviewing our channel lists and will be adding more international tv channels to accomodate our guests. As for our staff's proficiency in English, we do apologize for the difficulties you have encountered when communicating with them, and will review this with our operating departments on how to improve their English level. We will be sure to take note of the breakfast issue and ensure that all food are warm and increase the variety of choices. Once again, thank you very much for your lovely comment, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Reviewed April 28, 2012

not a lot to do up north where the parkside is located. its close to the bird nest and other olympic sites, but no entertainment close by, just some standard restaurants. service is soso, took a while until someone showed up to bring the handle that allows to open the windows (you gotta ask for that) rooms okay but a bit old looking and not super clean. would consider other hotels in future.
breakfast not good, not enough choices.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Jessie Q, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Parkside Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is always great to hear from our guest. Due to safety purposes, we do not leave our window handles in the room, as for the slow response, I'll be sure to inform the relevant departments abt the response time to guest's requests. We will be sure to look into this matter and speed up the response time in the future. We really appreciate your feedback regarding our breakfast too, we have reviewed the breakfast menu to increase the variety of choices in hopes to suit the taste of each guests. We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again, and should you decide to visit us again, please do contact me and we will do our very best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I was so thankful for the care and time given to my request to trace a lost pair of glasses on a flight from Kunming to Beijing. The personal attention of Nicholas Wang was vital in their recovery. He arranged everything! He and his team do an excellent job in customer care. This was our second stay at the hotel, with easy access to the airport and we thoroughly recommend it. The rooms are very comfortable and spotless.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rockheights2012
Jessie Q, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Parkside Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your great feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and even happier that our concierge team managed to recover your lost glasses! We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed February 23, 2012

I'm a regular customer of this hotel, because I don't have choice as it's close to my company's BJ office, but everytime I am desappointed in such a poor management. I can't believe this hotel has been running for a few years already and experiencing such bad time each of my stays.

So I would say that executive rooms and lounge are nice. Gym/pool equipement is good enough. The job was well done at the begining.

Then all the rest is lower than what should be expected from international 4 stars hotel:

Staff attitude is not nice (not polite nor smiley, everything is slow, no idea about theis own Marco Polo fidelity program at the front desk). English language is too poor. (front desk, room service...)

Rooms are a bite noisy (room to room, street noise, corridor noise)

Room service menu is very limited, and listed products are not even availble.
I ordered 1 cod fish, and a Thai beer at 21.25. Then the room service girl had to call me back 3 times : to tell me that the food I ordered was not available, to check how I'd like my burger to be cooked and to tell me that the beer I ordered was not available (this beer is on the menu for one year but has never been available).
Then I confirm the food is bad (my burger meat was not cooked and side salad was warm). I couldn't eat it so that a manager dare to cancel my order. I didn't even ask a replacement.
At lunch I went to the buffet restaurant, where :
- suchi looks dry (I could see a waitress spraying water to refresh the food),
- one of the cook refilling was smelling like an ashtray,
- I had to wait 20 minutes to get my drink delivered once the waitress hardly understood my order(and I can speak mandarin...),
- the breakfast in executive floor is acceptable but doesn't provide any good surprise, while I remember the smells of smokes and slow service attitude of the main breakfast restaurant).

In the Gym; again, the equipment is nice, but :
- there were no small towels (once the staff realise that this deosn't existe anymore, I was given a large towel that smel like dust),
- the drinking water has a bad taste,
- the satellite tv on run mill (with no french chanel like everywhere in the hotel) was not receiving signal properly,
- lightning is bad,
- decoration looks ageing and dusty in the gym lobby.

I have to check out tomorrow, and I know that I will experience a front desk staff who doesn't understand a proper english, that will not look at me and talk in chinese to his collegues in a unpolite way.

Then I will have to take a limousine car because of unavailable taxi to drive me to the airport on time...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank caroennico
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Stayed here for a number of weeks for business while in Beijing and although the room itself is quite nice and spacious, only stay at this hotel if your destination is somewhere around the Olympic park AND if you can speak Mandarin.

Room: nice and spacious, although make sure you ask for non-smoking room. Higher floors have nicer rooms. Internet connection is flaky sometimes, specially when the hotel has high occupancy

Service: the staff in general dont speak English, even the staff at front desk or concierge

Facility:
Gym - decent enough gym, never tried the pool as it always have many kids swimming in it.
Breakfast / restaurant - decent breakfast selection, but again.... the staff dont speak much English so it can be quite frustrating even just trying to order coffee or ordering your egg. Dinner buffet is expensive, you might as well go out to a fine dining restaurant
Room service selection is VERY limited and again - if you do not speak Mandarin, ordering a room service is like ordering a pot of luck, you can just hope when the meal arrives, it is the correct order.

Transportation: give yourself additional 30 minutes for waiting time if you need to catch a taxi from this hotel as somehow taxis do not like coming to this hotel and many taxi drivers are not familiar with this hotel.

Overall: would not stay at this hotel ever again unless I have to and this hotel is not at ideal location if you are in Beijing for vacation as it is quite far from all the tourist attractions so you can end up being stuck in Beijing traffic for hours.

Room Tip: higher floors have nicer rooms (6th floor rooms are probably the most average one) and if you are a...