Grand Mercure Beijing Central
Ranked #97 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I spent a week in the Xidan for a conference (also held in the hotel). Overall, my experience was quite good. The rooms are comfortable if not luxurious. The staff is very attentive, although the level of English varied from excellent to not-so-great. I could barely put out the "please make up my room" hanger before one of the cleaning staff would show up (within 10 minutes). Like many Beijing hotels, they warn you not to drink the water and to use the bottled water they provide. Some of my colleagues drank from the tap with no ill effect, but who knows. The hotel is in a great location for sightseeing, and I recommend renting a bike to get around to some of the nearby sites if you are willing to risk riding in the crazy traffic. My room came with complimentary breakfast buffet, which was really good and included comforting Western staples like eggs, bacon, and Frosted Flakes.

I have two small quibbles: #1 It was WARM. Hot in the hotel room, and very hot in the basement conference rooms. The AC system seemed to be turned off. I spent most of the conference in a polo shirt becuase it was at least 80 degrees. My room was at least 78 or 80 degrees at night. I didn't sweat to death, but it was much warmer than I would have wanted -- and it was 60-70 degrees outside! The traffic noise was much too loud to open the window. #2 The internet service is verrrry slowwwwww. Fine for text e-mails but beyond that, prepare to wait and wait and eventually time out. It reminded me of the old days of dial-up access.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 31, 2009

First - a general warning in regards to most Beijing maps - look at the scale. Even the map the hotel provides made it seem like this hotel was a block away from Tianamen Square when it was a good 15-20 minute walk.

This hotel was relatively cheap, and I think a good find in Beijing. It was West of Tianamen Square, a nice walk away or 2 subway stops. Two subway lines are within equal distance of the hotel, which is convinient to get almost anywhere in the city.

This hotel is also close to the Pacific shopping mall, with many options for restaurants to eat at or places to shop for clothes.

The property itself was nice - an elegant lobby with free wireless internet is there for you to use, along with comfortable seating. There was also a lobby bar that seemed popular with Westerners, though we never used it. The business centre provided reasonable prices to use the internet if you didn't have a computer for the free wireles.

The front desk staff was friendly, and even included 2 caucasian's if you felt like you weren't communicating well with the local agents.

Rooms were comfortable, but perhaps a bit in need of a renovation. I'm not sure how old the hotel or rooms are, but they could have used perhaps some nicer bedding and a bit of a refresh. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was large and spacious. There was also a mini-bar in every room with items are good prices to purchase.

With so much to do in the city we didn't spend long in the rooms. They were quiet for sleeping, despite the construction happening next door and we were able to keep it cool from the sun outside.

I'd recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Beijing. It's probably not the most unique or memorable hotel, but it suited our needs just fine and with all the surrounding food choice, and close public transit, we were incredibly content with it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2009

The 60th anniversary mandated curfew on this street where the hotel was. At our initiative, the hotel helped to move us away to Novotel Sanyuan without charge and even though our payment was non-refundable.

Hotel staff were helpful and friendly. Room clean and tidy. Subway station of Xidan was near enough.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights from 15-18 September 2009, using the MasterCard - Accor Asia Summer Offer 2009 (One free night for every three nights). Average rate each night is CNY378.63 + CNY56.79 taxes.

My flight arrived in Beijing at 6.35am and at 6.57am I took a taxi and reached Grand Mercure Hotel Xidan Beijing at 7.42am. Taxi fare is RMB91 plus toll RMB10.

Avoid taxi during peak hours (7am-9am) & (5pm-7pm), the traffic is bad.

The Hotel staff give us a earlier check-in after 2 1/2 hour wait at the lobby, there is free WIFI at the lobby.

The Hotel is located along Xuanwumen Nei Main Street (宣武门内大街).

There are 2 subway stations within walking distance from the Hotel, they are - (Line 1) Xidan(西单)station and (Line 2) Xuanwumen(宣武门)station.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank trip-sharing
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed at the Mercure as it was part of a BA deal through Trailfinders. It was the best hotel on offer so we thought we'd give it a go.

The hotel is fine - there's nothing really wrong with it - but it's just not anything special - especially if you've stayed at the Peninsular and Hilton Beijing Wangfujing.

The room was very average - clean and comfortable - and although we were facing out onto the main road it was relatively quite.

Breakfast was included in our booking and it edible but not really anything more than that. There were Asian specialities and some Western food but it was limited and the most disappointing thing was that most of the food was actually cold. This was the also the case when we tried the buffet one evening.

The staff speak very limited English but were generally quite helpful and they definitely get a plus point for letting us check in at 10.30am after a long flight from London. They also get a plus point for their free internet and for the pool which was very nice.

I know roughly what the rack rates are and I get the feeling it's slightly higher than it should be.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Earlier this month my wife and I took a short break to Beijing, 4 days 3 nights. During our stay in Beijing we stayed in the Grand Mercure Hotel Xidan Beijing. The hotel is 4* and lived up to its name with a warm atmosphere sumptuous rooms as well as one of the best breakfast choices we have come across in South East Asia.
Before travelling we checked out travel reviews on two other hotels we were offered and decided not to tempt providence. The Grand Mercure was well spoken off and certainly lived up to the comments written in a positive way.
The hotel is centrally located for shopping and reaching Tiananmen Square etc. We had the use of transport whilst there but the Metro is close at hand also.
The hotel has a swimming pool; spa, sauna and fitness centre for use by hotel guests as well as massage services for a nominal fee.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Beijing.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcjimc
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed here four nights and found it a very nice hotel. The rooms were comfortable, clean and well appointed. The staff was helpful for the most part even though I believe there was often a language barrier. The buffet breakfast was delicious with changing menus each morning and the cocktails in the lobby bar each evening were hearty.
The hotel is located a few blocks from Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City which is not the hippest part of Beijing but still a good location. There are 2 Metro stations within 2 blocks and plenty of good Chinese and Western restaurants near the hotel. I recommend venturing into the hutong across from the hotel and eating at the second restaurant on the left. The food is fabulous!
We all agreed that we would stay here again if in Beijing.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family