“A great place to stay made even better by a wonderful staff.”

Sleepy Inn Downtown Lakeside Beijing
Ranked #50 of 982 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed a total of 5 nights over an 8-day period. The Inn is conveniently located within a few hundred metres of the highly efficient Beijing subway system. Free wifi, inexpensive snacks (and beer) and good accommodation make a stay here incident- and stress-free. The most memorable part of our stay was the staff who, without exception, were helpful, friendly and focussed on making guests comfortable. They provided advice on sites to visit, routes to get to them, translation issues (including writing notes in Chinese characters to show taxi drivers, etc). We were also invited to participate in a dumpling-making session involving 4 guests and 6 staff members. Web site directions from the subway should say to turn right on exiting the subway and turn right at the first small street that leads to the lake; then circle the lake clockwise to the far end of the lake. Turn left at the small bridge and the Sleepy Inn is ahead on the left.

Room Tip: The accommodation is spartan but good.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 8, 2011

Just arrive Sleepy Inn in a very cold wheather,
But the staff here warm my heart~!

Excellent Service and Lovely Staff here,
The staff here are very helpful,
when I online booking a dorm ,
they reply me in a very fast period,
they also help me taobao(online shooping in China),
which cause troblems to the staff,
but they still help me to make it~(Thank you Jing Jing =D)

The Location,
You can experience the real chinese living style in the area of Hutong,
when you stay in Sleepy Inn.
And Sleepy Inn is just so near to the railway station,
you can enjoy beautiful sigh seeing while walking to the railway station too^^

I cant write all the benefits when staying Sleepy Inn Beijing,
you have to experience yourself when you stay here!
cheers~!

Ming From Malaysia

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Stay as you are!
Maybe the heater in winterte should work a litle better.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Staff here are incredible and their English is pretty solid!
It's a good little hostel - rooms are OK size, beds a little hard but nothing you won't experience in every other Chinese city!
They do cheap breakfast and good coffee, and the staff will always help you out. We were able to book plane tickets through them, organise taxis and other transport with ease. Very friendly and efficient!
Location is nice - down a lane near a lake so there's not too much road noise which is awesome. 8min walk to subway, restaurants and shops are even closer.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 24, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here, after staying at a slightly cheaper, but extremely loud, dirty, potentially carcinogenic (were doing lots of construction) hotel in NLGX. We really enjoyed the stay here, as the women running the place were so helpful!

1. Service: they booked a reasonably priced tour to the awesome part of the Great Wall, the women spoke very good English and helped us navigate and plan the rest of our trip. They actually had WiFi that worked better than most places. They also have laundry service for a fee.

2. Rooms: We had a double bed that was quite large - seemed like two twins put together, so there wasn't much space overall. But it was clean with the minimum necessities - did have AC.

3. Location - I actually loved living in a quiet area, but nearby the houhai. The taxis seemed to have difficulty finding the place.

Overall great service and am thankful for the staff that helped plan our trip. And it was nice to have WiFi. Really enjoyed the stay - good value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hanoisapa
lynnechen, Manager at Sleepy Inn Downtown Lakeside Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2011

Thanks for your nice comments to Sleepy Inn and to us. The Great Wall Tour to Jinshanling is my favourate. It is too impressive, and it is really highly recommented. I am glad that you like the tour and the sourrounding area of the Hutong. We will continue to provide good serive and tell all the travelers here all the informaiton about Beijing.

Thanks again and welcome back to Sleepy Inn

Reviewed November 11, 2010

i am writing this review to help you.. do NOT stay here. our experience of beijing was awful as a pure result of this hostel. first of all, the cleanliness is questionable at best. don't even go near the washrooms / showers in the lobby. well if you go near one, you will have to go near the other, as the toilet is the shower. no joke. the hostel is located in a very poor local area. everyone glares at you the second you get outside. there are no restaurants or anything around, save for two with zero hygiene and zero english.
the staff, however, was the true problem. they lied to us about train times to make us continue to stay and spend money. when we caught them, they suddenly forgot how to speak english. be careful and trust no one..
on that note, you're better off going to japan

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank laurenrachel
lynnechen, Manager at Sleepy Inn Downtown Lakeside Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2011

After seeing this review about Sleepy Inn, I think that I have the responsibility to tell my opinion to people reading this.

First, Sleepy Inn is famous for its location and cleaning. It located in the Old district, and the surrounding area is the local Hutong Area, which is the protected Area by the Government. Not only for foreingners, but also for Chinese, it is full of history and local citizen's life here. It is not a poor area. Beijing is also a mordern international city now, but in such a big city, in the center of the city, the Hutong area is reserved for kind of heritage. I have been living here for six years, and I love the Hutong, I love seeing people doing exercises, Taiji around the lakes with their dogs. It really is an impressive experience living in this area to see the real life of Beijingners. It may looks poor to you compared to the tall building, mordern way of life, but not to me.

Second, I don't know why did you feel so angry when people glares at you. Maybe they just want to say hello, and I don't know why didn't you see the smiles on their faces. Chinese peole are very shy, if they want to show their welcome, they don't know how to express. So they usually watch at you, if you smiles back, you wil get a lovely big smile. They cannot speak English, they don't know how to communicate, and one more thing, foreigners is highly respected in China. Chinese people feel really pround and they also want to tell you more about China if they can. They didn't hurt you just gares at you the second, maybe they think that you are very beautiful, and they want to give you the second glance.

Third, there are many restaurants, like Beijing Duck, Hot Pot, Snackes, and Sleepy Inn is just 200 meters away from the Houhai lake, and 10 minutes walk from Drum Tower. I am so sorry that we didn't provide you all the information.

Fourth, I did remember these three girls. They passed by, and stayed for three for four nights. The second day, they asked us to book the train tickets, and we called the agency. There were tickets available, but the girls told us that they need to discuss. The second day they went to the Great Wall, and when they came back, it was around 19:00PM. They asked us to book the tickets, but when we called the agency, there was no tickets any more, so they stayed for one more night. I think that it was not our fault for their staying one more night in Sleepy Inn.

But we did do one thing wrong. The second moring ,they asked us to book the tickets, one staff at the front desk told them the agency works at 8:30AM, actually they work at 8:00am, and when we tried to call the agency at 7:50am, the phone got through. During the busy season, they sometimes works earlier. There was still no tickets. But the girls got so angry, they kept talking that we lied to them, what we wanted was keeping them staying here. At last, they wanted to get back the money they paid for last night. I said no because they went to the Great Wall, and they didn't tell us to book the tickets. Then they asked for free breakfast, because we told them the wrong working time of the agency, even there was no tickets, we were wrong at this point. So we give them free breakfast. We did forget how to speak English facing them. She was true.

I know customer is God, but before these three girls left, I said to them: Hi ,girls, before you leave, I really want to tell you that , be thanfull to people who helped you so hard. They all laughed loudly and left .

I am sorry that I cannot keep writing this long message. I just cannot control my self to tell the truth. What I wrote is not so true, maybe, but we should be honest. These three girls are honest too, because that was their reall experiences. You can get your onw judement by all the information.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Clean rooms, clean bathroom. But be carefull while handling hot water, the mixture fitting is not upto mark resulting in sudden hot water. Don't allow small kids to enter the bathroom independently. The balcony and terrace grills are not very safe to allow kids to wander around.
But the staff is exceptionally good, helping. If you are vegetarian then they have only the chese sandwitch, which is again exceptionally good though little costly (20 RMB).
Staff hass safe my few hundered og RMB just by there advise.
Allowed me the early checkin at no extra cost.
The location is also exceptionally good.
They allow to keep the laguage after checkout, good servises always with smile. They even booked hotel for me in Hongzhou, the one which I requeted them.

If I go in Beijing, I will surely stay at this hotel only. Resonable cost and value for money. Safe for family.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

I am sorry for the sudden hot water during taking the shower. We have marked the hot water tube with red spot, and you are right, the kids are not allowed to enter the bathroom by themselves, it is really slippery. we usually tell the famliy travelling with children or old people when they check in. People who want to book room at Sleepy Inn do need to follow the suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestion and for your good comments to our staff. We will continue to work hard and smile to every one staying at Sleepy Inn.