“Good but unnecessary misses”
Review of Regent Beijing

Regent Beijing
Ranked #28 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good but unnecessary misses”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is my first stay in this hotel and I have generally excellent experience with a variety of 5-star hotels. The Regent falls below the other 5-star hotels I have stayed in but the price is reasonable, the location good, and it has some things to recommend it. The good things - friendly, helpful staff! Nice views from big window. I booked premier club room - but i wonder if it really is as spacious as claimed on the website, but adequate for my needs. (I think they count the bath area in the sq. meters adverstised). If you will spend time in the hotel and have breakfast, go for the club room which is a nice place to go work, enjoy some tea or thier very nice two-hour happy hour with substantial "snacks". The unnecessary misses - I booked a car to pick me up to avoid the line that sometimes can take time to get a taxi (last visit I had to wait 20 minutes for a taxi) and I packed my coat expecting a warm car to pick me up. The greeter couldn't contact the car, after waiting 10 minutes in the cold with no idea where the car was, and after talking to the hotel reception which couldn't locate the car, I insisted on getting out of the cold and taking a taxi. Good choice - no line and only 80 RMB instead of 500. The hotel was very apologetic and offered a free transport when I left. No problem - these things happen although after a long flight one is easily irritated. I asked for a quiet room but got one near the elevator, not a big deal, pretty quiet here except occaisionally. I checked the info on restuarnts in the room info - open for lunch until 2:30 pm. At 2:00 I go to the Chinese restaurant for lunch but they say the kitchen is closed. The restuarant info also says 2:30. I ended up in a cafe eating a really mediocre meal. The next night I order room service at 9:40 pm, the in-room info says room service available until 10 pm. When I call, they say the restuarant is closed. I complain that all the info in the hotel says until 10:00 pm, but sorry no can do. I could order breakfast but at 9:40 pm I would prefer dinner to breakfast. And the hotel breakfast buffet is pretty much what one would expect from a 4-star hotel in Beijing. It has more than enough to satisfy most guests, but it is not at the same level as the other 5-star hotels I have stayed at. The laundry service was fast and cheap (always is in Beijing). The room is pretty comfortable, very nice bed with good sheets and duvet. The furnishings are starting to show age. My vanity lighted mirror was broked but they fixed it on request. My desk chair leans to one side and wobbles a bit. Some of the blinds on the glass wall between the bath area and the main room are bent. There was a kids' handprint on the glass wall - cute! Shower has good water pressure and there are good soaps, shampoo, amenenties. Good to have a hot water heater and tea in the room. Nice to have apples (especially since I couldn't order dinner!). the mini-bar is nearly empty and if you use more than the alotted water you have to pay for extra. The wifi in the hotel works great and I REALLY appreciate when a hotel doesn't charge. If you might get hungry, or want to eat at odd hours due to jet lag, bring your own snacks! Nothing in the mini-bar and you can't trust all of the in-room and other hotel info on the restaurant and room service hours. A really unnecessary way to keep guests from coming back! Especially when the staff is so nice and the hotel has potential to try just a little harder.

Room Tip: if you will eat breakfast and enjoy a refreshment during the day, consider the club room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LauraLou77
Regent B, Manager at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay with us at the Regent Beijing. By reading it understand that there have been some ups and downs during your stay. However, all the issues mentioned by you have addressed and have since been solved.
At Regent Beijing, we strive to provide superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us as it helps us to rectify any shortcomings. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Rooms are cosy, and beds are so comfortable that I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. Great choice of different cuisine for buffet breakfast, which the restaurant is really busy especially during weekdays. Convenient location as there is metro station right at the corner of the hotel arcade, though it takes quite considerable time to walk from Wangfujing shopping area in the cold. Wifi is free with great reception, which is really a bonus! Excellent taxi service as arranged by staff, with same fare charged by meter.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business and really enjoyed my experience. When I was there, I happened to get quite sick. The hotel staff went out of their way to help me, even carting me to the nearby Union Medical College Hospital, which is among the very best hospitals in China. The location is also excellent.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank LewNY
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Just a 3 night business trip in freezing weather but the standard room was warm, plush and very cosy. Try to find time to enjoy the gorgeous deep bath.
Great breakfast buffet with extensive choice and very good service and standard of English!
Handy location for business and there is a superb restaurant called 1949 about 2 blocks away where we had magnificent roast Peking duck.
If you find this review helpful, please give it a helpful vote. Thanks!

Room Tip: street side for a good city view
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank thatmarion
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed here for 9 days on business and I was very comfortable. The service was very good, the resteraunts were great and the concierge very helpful. I will be a regular guest here.

• Stayed January 2012
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Spent two weeks at the hotel December 2011-January 2012. Great location allows nice walks to Forbidden City, the National Museum, shopping, and the like. Modern with excellent housekeeping and service. My standard room was very comfortable and large enough for an extended stay. Restaurants were excellent and the massive breakfast and lunch buffets provided Western, Chinese, and Japanese offerings. Booking with breakfast is recommended. I liked the calm atmosphere and professional low key service. The piano music in the lobby is a nice touch. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We really enjoyed this hotel. Nice and new with a nice staff and great location located right on line 5 which is a good line to be on for the sights. Would go back.

Room Tip: Good location right on line 5 with a nice bakery across the street for breakfast
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family