“A great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 6,068 Hotels in Beijing
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“A great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed for six days, and had a great time. The staff could not be moe pleasant and helpful, and the room was large and vet comfortable with silent and very discreet heating. Bed was excellent, the only complaint is they forgot to turn down the covers one night, which is an indication of how good e service was, not that I minded at all.

Room Tip: A room in the new part at the back, very quiet and large.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us in Beijing. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed a pleasant and comfortable and discreet stay with us and that you arrived safe and sound back home.

On behalf of my entire team I would like to thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I will share you report with all of our colleagues and I am certain accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

Our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests. We are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best. Feedback and comments such as yours are extremely encouraging and push us to continue improving on our products and services.

Once again, thank you very much for choosing Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing.

Matthias Al-Amiry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Doha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Overall a decent experience with a few ups and a few downs.

Pro's:
Raffles Inc room is nice, modern with an area that can be separated off for the infant to sleep.
Excellent staff, very helpful and personal service.
The club package is good value, given that drinks are expensive.
The ambiance is classy as you would expect from Raffles.
Excellent breakfast, including a nice mix of Chinese and western fayre.
Nice gym.

Con's:
Major issues finding the correct room on checkin - hotel claimed that the hotel was fully booked (I doubt it) and we were placed in a skanky standard room and told we would be moved tomorrow. When I made it clear that this was totally unacceptable, I was moved to another room type (which was nice but not the 2 room business room had booked and we required) before finally moving to the correct room after more frantic phone calls etc...this whole process took and hour or two was NOT what we needed after a 12 hour trip with an infant. Ps- no they didn't make it up with a free drink!
Room far too hot, with centrally controlled a/c and no windows - meant very little sleep for us. There appeared to be no way to rectify this major issue, even via the hotel staff.
Food and drink options are a little limited, cocktails were disappointing (weak).

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for staying with us and second I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts and sentiments with us.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We deliver our brand through thoughtful and welcoming, charming and graceful service. I was certainly delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We have noted all your positive comments regarding our facilities as well as our helpful and personalized services.

As you can imagine, I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with your room booking and the delayed check-in. We will address all your concern accordingly in order to prevent similar events from reoccurrence. These incidents are definitely not up to our standards and I would like to apologize for these shortcomings.

Once again, thank you very much for staying with us.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The hotel was wonderful. Rooms, cleanliness, service etc were all excellent. Location was great, near to all sights though I don't know that you would want to go there again after seeing them on your tour. Best about the location was Capital M (recommended by the hotel's ambassador) - an occidental hangout within walking distance and kind of an oasis in Beijing, we ended up going there twice. Beware of the staff whose English is not very good but they want to be nice and answer yes to anything whether they have understood the question or not. We asked if breakfast was included and were told yes, turned out it was not included, and it is $45 pp, you can do much better with room service. Shopping is also very close, and there is a night market, recommended by our guide, where you can try fried scorpions, silkworm and all sorts of other critters; we tried them and thought they were quite disgusting but the place is very colorful and it is a matter of taste.

Room Tip: We got a room facing away from the street. The street is really noisy.
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your kind letter and the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us.

It is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our location, services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations, that you enjoyed your time with us.

We will certainly share your report with our Raffles Ambassador John Spooner his team and all our colleagues and we are convinced that accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel.

nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

very disappointing, the location of the hotel is excellent however the rooms were tired and In need of some decorating,
the check in procedure was extremely slow (over 1 hour to check in).

There were public areas of the hotel which were under reservation which was also disappointing,
we also chose to use the club lounge facilities, the room was very pleasant and the staff were extremely helpful however the snacks on offer were quite poor and not up to the standards for a hotel of this level,

we also had issues over quoted prices, we booked the rooms well ahead of the trip and later on we asked for a club lounge access, we were quoted 400RM per night however on check out we were charged 650RBM it was explained that the quote related to a different category room, we challenged this as the hotel knew which rooms we had booked and the quoted price should be honoured despite countess emails this was not accepted by the hotel and we were charged the inflated price,
we would not have paid the 650RBM per night as the facilities did not justify this price and bearing in mind we had 2 rooms the additional cost of 2000RBM was totally unacceptable.

the hotel's lack of willingness not compromise on his was very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank john m
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear John,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

Thank you very much for residing with us recently along with a fellow party.

Our company credo is to provide emotional luxury to our guests and this includes the very basic steps of arrival and departure experiences and the time we can spend with our guests during the stay. I am personally disappointed that we failed to create this impression with you.

Further to my investigation, the delay upon check in was mainly due to different arrival times we received through your booking agent resulting in your arrival to the hotel two hours prior to what we had expected. I am happy to know that we finally managed to allocate rooms on the same floor at the Heritage building in two of the limited Landmark Rooms with balconies facing the famous Chang An Avenue.

As for the discrepancy with the rates between the time of booking and the check out time, as you well mentioned the rates vary considering the promotions we have at the time of booking, the occupancy we have at the hotel and the availability of the room types at the time of check in. While it is not uncommon in the hotel industry for rates to fluctuate drastically in very short lapses of time based on the above, the Lounge upsell that many travelers rave about and you mentioned in your survey are indeed in line with what we offer.

John, I would also like if I may request that you personally email me to generalmanager.beijing@raffles.com to elaborate further on the discrepancy in those rates and ensure that your departure experience does not mar your overall perception of Raffles Beijing Hotel as a first class service provider.

Looking forward to speak soon and thank you again for your detailed survey.

Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Decided to spend a luxury stay in Beijing, the Raffles Beijing has been unexpectedly below luxury standards and service.
The welcoming staff is not welcoming at all. We arrived at around 4 pm and still the reserved room type was not available. The front office clerk tried to give us a smaller room than the reserved one by stating this is an "upgrade", finally after waiting in the room we were assigned to the reserved Executive Room on the 4th floor.
Overall checkin process took around 30 min while waiting in the lobby. Serving the welcoming tea is far than being welcoming but just a routine task assigned to the lobby attendants.
Walking in the lobby and facing some staff from the bar and the restaurant was without any smile, passing by just looking at us.
However the room is comfortable and well designed, yet several regular maintenance has to be carried out; such as fixing the shaving plug in the bathroom, and providing some electricity in the plug "for shavers only". We couldn't find any shoe shine tissue in the room.
These were pretty surprising with these service issues met in this luxury brand.

2 Thank travelogue88
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for staying with us and second I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We deliver our brand through thoughtful and welcoming, charming and graceful service. On this occasion we seemed to have partly failed you.

As you can imagine, I therefore was extremely disappointed to learn about your arrival experience and the challenges you experienced during chek-in. We will address all your concern accordingly in order to prevent similar events from reoccurrence. These incidents are unacceptable and I would like to sincerely apologize for these shortcomings.

I would like to thank you for openly bringing these matters to our attention since only by candid comments such as yours are we able to improve our services and facilities.

Once again, thank you very much for staying with us.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Having read all the rave reviews about the afternoon tea at Raffles Beijing, we felt slightly let down when we finally tried the tea. Priced at RMB158++ per set, the tea at Raffles isn't the cheapest amongst other non-buffet teas in Beijing. For that price, you get a 3-tier platter comprising 2 full-sized scones, 3 finger sandwiches, 5 mini pastries and a pot of tea. Presentation was also rather no-frills basic. In terms of quantity and presentation, we've had better afternoon teas elsewhere in Beijing.

The quality of ingredients used is good, as you would expect of a 5-star restaurant but the sandwiches and the pastries were quite normal and nothing to write home about. The scones, as other reviewers have noted, are moist, buttery, fragrant and served warm. They are also the best scones I've had in Beijing (although not in the world or even in Asia for that matter). The only let-down was the fact that the scones were served with mini jars of preserves that are also available in supermarkets. I would've expected homemade preserves of Raffles, nothing less.

All in, Raffles Beijing's tea set is a great quick fix but with other great weekend tea options in Beijing, we probably won't be back anytime soon.

1 Thank Mei L
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor and on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel I would like to express my sincere appreciation for being our guest at the Writers Bar.

On the other hand, I was disappointed to learn that we were not able to exceed your expectations. We have noted your comment regarding the price for our afternoon tea and we agree that we are not the cheapest in Beijing but definitely offer a very competitive price compared to other 5-star hotels in town. We are delighted to learn that you felt our scones are the best in Beijing and we are thrilled that you pointed out that all ingredients we use are of superior quality. Also our jams and jellies, even though not homemade are of extremely high quality imported directly from the UK, the motherland of Afternoon Tea.

In addition we like to comment that Afternoon is always an experience for all senses and not about food only. At Raffles we provide a unique atmosphere not only because of the high quality of our sandwiches, scones and pastry as well as the finest teas but also due to the ambience of the Writers Bar, the live piano music as well as our personalized service.

The Writers Bar honors the many Chinese and foreign literary luminaries who have been in residence at the hotel, visited or written about it over the years. The original timber sprung dance floor, pristine once more, evokes the frequent events when the hotel first served as an important venue between Chinese and foreign politicians, including Chairman Mao, and Zhou Enlai. One of our guests once described the feel and design of our Lobby and the Writers Bar on TripAdvisor as “a rich man’s mansion”.

Once again, thank you for your report and we do hope to welcome you back to Writers Bar

Hartlepool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I booked two executive rooms for 3 night for my family of 5. We arrived at 6am after a long flight from the uk and was given a lovely room to relax in whilst our rooms was made available. We had a nap and a shower and was then shown to our new rooms on the executive floor which is out the back of the main building (all connected).
After a long hard day sightseeing we retired to the executive lounge for cocktails and eats to be met by Sage and Julia who not only got us everything we wanted but also became friends and helped us with sightseeing and food decisions.
On our second day we witnessed the terrible incident in Tiananmen Square which shook all the family up but upon returning to our hotel sage was there to meet us and quickly got us all a drink and chatted to us about going to the Great Wall the next day.
The hotel was very nice and very central for everything. The rooms and breakfast are first class. The swimming pool area was a big let down for us with very little warmth in the building and having to wear bathing hats every time you entered the water.. No thanks.
Taxi from the airport was 135 yuan but it's hard to get passed the rip off men, but persevere. Some taxis were asking for 5 times the correct amount so just ask for the meter to be switched on.
In conclusion, Raffles was a lovely place and if you can afford the step up I would definitely recommend the executive package, even if it's just to meet Sage,Julia and the other lovely staff in the lounge.
Thanks again Raffles from the Griffiths family

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Griffiths family,

We would like to thank you and your family for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing. We very much appreciate you having taken the time to submit your detailed report about your experience to TripAdvisor.

What you have described in your review is exactly what we strive for. Our philosophy is being an “oasis for the well-travelled”. Hence we were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the personalized services our team, especially Sage and Julia extended to you and your family. We will certainly share your remarks with Sage and Julia and we are convinced that comments like yours encourage them to further enhance their services.

Again, thank you very much for your accolades and sentiments; we are thrilled to learn that we were able to make your stay a special one. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel,

Warm wishes