“Central location, great staff”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #26 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying three nights at this hotel. As we were booked on day tours we cannot really comment on many of the facilities as our time actually in the hotel was limited. However from the moment we arrived outside the main entrance we were treated to the very best of service and made to feel welcome. Our room was huge and very well appointed, complete with complimentary fruit bowl - a nice touch. Drinking water was also proved each day. The beds were very comfortable and every thing about the rooms first class.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the main shopping street and the Forbiddin city. A tube station is a few minutes away. Hotel staff were always on hand to offer help and directions.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Monty,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your kind letter and the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us. At Raffles our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home. What makes us special is a combination of two things – what we bring to the world and what we bring to every single person who visits Raffles. These are the very heart of our brand. The first describes what we are: an oasis for the well travelled. The second is what we bring to every one of our guests. It`s not about what they get, it is about how they feel. Emotional luxury.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations, that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The biggest “but” first:
At the end of my 23-night stay, I was given the choice between paying my bill in RMB or in EUR. I chose RMB, yet the hotel charged my credit card in EUR at their own rate, which is significantly more expensive than my bank’s rate would have been. The difference in my case amounted to about 140 EUR in favor of the hotel. It took them several days (and two reminders) to respond to my email in this regard. Then they immediately charged my card again, while my bank had not yet received any indication of a refund. Given that by their own admission they had made a “mistake”, I consider this practice totally unacceptable and feel very strongly that the refund procedure (which may take up to 15 days, as I was rather nonchalantly informed) should have been completed, i.e. the refund credited to my card, before they charged again. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I will choose a different hotel for my upcoming trips to Beijing.

Other “buts”:
None of this is really terrible, but in sum still inappropriate for a five-star hotel, especially one sailing under the Raffles flag. Basically, none of the Chinese staff you meet in the corridors will greet you or even look at you, with the exception of some housekeepers. The fact that I was there for a stay of 23 nights was acknowledged precisely once, and in connection with an attempt to determine my tour-purchasing potential. I did not perceive anything that might be considered special or personal treatment, apart from being greeted by name by some of the breakfast staff. Even the ubiquitous Ambassador did not venture near me, although he seemed to be talking to everyone else at breakfast. The Western managers who descend on the breakfast room every morning seem to be there on a private mission rather than as hotel representatives – the way they all go straight for the buffet, I initially thought they were a business delegation staying at the hotel. They did not seem to notice the many small details that were off, e.g. incorrect labelling, lack of utensils, Nutella apparently taken out of the freezer 15 minutes before, etc. Lobby staff, including the guy who is supposed to push the revolving door for you, play on their cell phones and are visibly baffled when a guest materializes in front of them. The awful pool has been mentioned in other reviews; if the Raffles chooses to outsource pool management to an external company, it should pick one that can provide adequate services, and monitor service delivery carefully. The showerheads in the ladies’ pool changing facilities looked as if they were about to come off the wall. The lobby toilets come with cheap fake-wood doors and a funny smell. The wifi wasn’t always reliable. Over a period of three days, housekeeping didn’t seem to notice a broken light in the bathroom (was fixed very quickly when reported). Bathtub plug leaked so it wasn’t possible to run a bath (did not ask to fix this and took showers instead – but aren’t there any routine inspections of room facilities?). Key card stopped working three times.

Good points:
I wanted a comfortable, quiet room for an extended stay, and that’s what I got in a Raffles Inc. Business room; in my case looking out onto the space between the State and Heritage Buildings. I am very sensitive to noise, but the room was super quiet. Other reviews have complained about the room décor; while I didn’t find it particularly amazing (and certainly not terribly “colonial”), I was fine with it and in any case there are photos on the website so anyone can check before making a booking. Comfortable big bed. Room slippers are made of cotton cloth rather than the white synthetic fibre variety. Note that the majority of guests seemed to be tourists, so this is not the best place if you are on business (e.g. there was a small desk in my room but no office supplies, and the chair was not comfortable for work). Very friendly and efficient breakfast staff, good selection at breakfast. Did not try any of the restaurants so cannot comment. Check-in was quick, efficient and friendly, though they must have been out of tea when I arrived for I certainly wasn’t offered any. My main reason for choosing the Raffles was its location, which is obviously fantastic and makes it easy to get out and explore, with many sights within walking distance and the subway station just a few meters away. This makes the hotel a good choice if you are staying for just a few nights and want to be close to certain tourist attractions and public transportation.

In sum, I had a generally pleasant stay even though my overall expectations of the Raffles were not always met. Given the handling of my payment, however, I am definitely not coming back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank afternoonnap_10
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback following your recent stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. We appreciate and value all the time you have taken to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor, which will help us to continuously improve our service and facilities.

First of all, we would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing during your 23 days stay in the Middle Kingdom. Whilst I was happy to read the closure of your feedback that overall, you left with a “generally pleasant experience”, I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with being recognized, the pool facilities and most importantly the handling of your payment. We understand that with a 23 nights stay at a hotel, the least that our guest would expect is being recognized and feel comfortable; on this occasion, we seemed to have failed you for which there is no excuse, only an apology. As mentioned in the review, while we agree with you to be the top hotel destination for leisure travelers, please rest assured that we do provide our business travelers a full access to business amenities such as electronics, tools and office furniture such as Business Desk Chairs which I wish we would have known you needed to make your long business stay with us a more comfortable one. This has been noted on your profile along with other feedback to anticipate your needs in the future.

In regards to the Pool facilities and as you may have already read, it is unfortunate that the pool is operated and managed by a third party operator. This party is hired by the real estate owner of our hotel and regrettably does not report in any way to us. Having said that, we understand our responsibility of offering the service and having pool access for our guests, therefore we are working on a long term solution to regain ownership and supervision of the area in order to offer Raffles service and standards. This is a long term project and we are confident that we will be able to rectify this structural adjustment finally by 2016. In the meantime we will continue with our efforts to maintain the area and quality to the best of our means. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience we have caused with this and failing to provide the basic services in this area.

We have also taken note of your comment regarding your negative perception of our Raffles Ambassador and other Western employees. Having read and knowing about the “ubiquitous” Ambassador, you can only imagine his frustration to read your review and not having been able to connect with you while staying with us. Please rest assured that we have internally discussed the sensitivity of this matter. Our executive chef was also very keen on receiving the feedback and your comments on some of the buffet items.

Last but not least, allow me to apologize once again for the mishandling of your payment and elaborate a little bit more for the awareness of other travelers as well. The daily foreign currency conversion rates are set by approved Banks which we are not permitted to amend nor charge any commission on the forex transaction. In addition, all credit card transactions through the hotel’s Point of Sales (POS) machines are directly debited by our bankers in the local currency of the client’s card. This is a system default but there is an available option for the amount to be debited in RMB. In your case, we acknowledge you have given instruction for your room bills to be settled in RMB but unfortunately, this was not followed through by our colleague who attended to you on the day and so the settlement was made in Euro instead of RMB. As for your request to refund the full amount in Euro and recharge the amount in RMB, the transactions were promptly processed. Our records show the refund in Euro was made by our bank on the following day. However, we are not able to confirm with certainty when the refund will actually appears on your credit card statement as such international interbank transactions vary according to the bank, its location, etc. So as a matter of policy, we advise our guests that it may take up to 15 days for refunds to be credited to their credit card account. Please accept my sincere apologies for this unfortunate incident which had caused you much inconvenience. We are currently reviewing our procedures with our bank to avoid this from happening in the future.

At Raffles, we strive to provide every guest with the most comfortable experience, but we seem to have partly failed in meeting your expectations on this occasion. We do hope we have an opportunity to welcoming you again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Reviewed October 23, 2013

first time at a Raffles and this is a wonderful 5star property. Wonderful location, very large room vviewing the main street, tastefully furnished, comfortable bed. Staff was pleasant and helpful and friendly. Buffet breakfast exceptional. You can't ask for a better hotel in this city. We were able to walk to excellent restaurants and needless to say the concierge staff was tops. What a nice way to begin our tripmto China

Room Tip: Ask for the old hotel overlooking the street.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation and we treasure you having taken the time to share your experience during your trip to Beijing with us on TripAdvisor .

Your positive comments regarding our breakfast buffet we will share with our culinary and service teams and we are convinced accolades such as yours will entice them to become even better.

Thank you very much for staying with us and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel in the not too distant future.

General Manger

Reviewed October 23, 2013

this hotel belong to the same chain as the Raffles in Singapore that makes everybody dreams of the British Empire. this one is a bit in the same vein. there are two wings, the Heritage wing where the rooms are smaller but somehow because of the charm it is also more expensive than the business rooms in the new wings that are larger. We wanted the business room and were "upgraded" to the Heritage room! The room was nice but i would have preferred to stay in a business room but, unsurprisingly , they were sold out!.. the bathroom was luckily not Heritate, it was new and well appointed with shower separated from bathtub, good water pressure too.. the service was very good, the breakfast, a feast (but enjoy it to the fullest, it is not cheap. if you want a light breakfast, this is not the place to go).

it is well located 10 minutes away from the Forbidden city near a great shopping street around the corner.

it is a good choice for tourists who want to dream a bit but still have all the conveniences. We had a room facing the boulevard with a balcony and it was not too noisy

Dear Guest,

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled”. Our goal is creating emotional luxury by offering thoughtful, welcoming, graceful and charming service. Hence, we were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed how you were welcomed and wowed by our personalized service. We will share your positive remarks with our entire team and certainly pass on your praises to our team.

We agree that the location of Raffles allows one to feel of the incredible history Beijing has to offer. And, we also think Raffles itself might have given you a bit of this feel.

Our Hotel first opened in 1917; we are almost 100 years old. Many Chinese and foreign literary luminaries including British play-writer George Bernhard Shaw and Chinese novelist Guo Mo Ruo stayed at Raffles Beijing Hotel. The hotel also served as an important venue between Chinese and foreign politicians, including Chairman Mao, and Zhou Enlai.

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your stay with us in February. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us and others on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed in a very lovely Landmark room in this hotel,at the front and quite high up. Traditional beautiful furnishings with a very nice large bathroom with a wonderful powerful shower. It was quiet Beds in China are firm!, however Raffles did have mattress toppers which add to the comfort. We had room only,walked out for breakfast,and in the evening enjoyed very nice light food in the piano bar.Happy hour until 8 pm.G&T two for one! Wine very expensive in Beijing, enjoyed the local beer.Raffles have an English speaking Ambassador ,called John ,who is available most of the time and is very helpful. The Forbidden City etc all within walking distance.10 mins.

Room Tip: I would say go for height if at front of hotel.

Dear Patty,

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled”. Our goal is creating emotional luxury by offering thoughtful, welcoming, graceful and charming service. Hence, we were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed how you were welcomed and wowed by our personalized service. We will share your positive remarks with our entire team and certainly pass on your praises to our Raffles Ambassador Mr. John Spooner.

Patty, we would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your stay with us. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us and others on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

the hotel is very well located . almost next door to the main shopping district , Wang Fu Jing. i stayed for several nights and found the rooms to be of a good standard but somehow the bathrooms look a bit dated and tired. though everything was functioning well.
i found the welcome very nice, there was a bowl of fruit awaiting my arrival , and the reception very friendly . there's bottled water waiting for you on all days, so there 's no need to buy from outside ( though i would never advise anyone to drink from the tap , make sure you boil the water first)
the breakfast buffet was a good spread , with ample selections of western and eastern breakfast items. they make fresh soup noodles for you , if you are adventurous enough. its good. Congee is more of an acquired taste but certainly worth trying. the fresh fruit selection is also good.
But dont arrive very early ( like 6 or 7 am) in the morning during winter time , say Mar or April. the porters seem to be absent at the front door and still trying their best to keep warm in the lobby at their desk. though i venture to guess that the porters dont have winter overcoats from the hotel to encourage them to stand nearer the front door.
the hotel ambassador , and some of the duty managers are truly very helpful and do go out of their way to help. so if you are unhappy do raise the issue with them , it will get resolved. though i had no need of a recourse to them for any help as i didnt encounter any problems.

Room Tip: they have rooms in the old wing facing Chang An avenue. its the main avenue in Beijing. it can get q...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We agree that location and the condition of facilities are extremely important to our guests but we also believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference.

Please allow me to add that Raffles does provide winter uniforms for all their staff including the bellboys. However, our colleagues may decide themselves if they wear their coats or not. This certainly should not be an apology for the lack of service at the door but just an apology for our slip-up.

Thank you once again for your detailed report, which will enable us to improve our services.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Worth staying once in lifetime.Excellent location and nice accommodation but the housekeeping does not vacuum your room at all. We stayed there 7 nights and found all the dirt on the floors as it was.
Breakfast is very expensive in this Hotel and I would suggest going to nearby restaurants on the street in stead.

Room Tip: Excellent location and nice accommodation but the housekeeping does not vacuum your room at all. We...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rajesh,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your report and the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us.

Rajesh, I am sure you can imagine that I was disappointed to read about the challenges you experienced with our Housekeeping service during your stay. I have shared your remarks with our Executive Housekeeper and asked her to initiate a back-to-basic training with all Room Attendant. I am convinced that this action will prevent similar incident from happening in the future.

Thank you for your candid comments.