“Not the best in town.”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #26 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very good situated ( only 15min from the Tian Anmen place). We stayed there for 3 days and the breakfast we had was very good with a lot of choice. The room indeed didn't smell good. The corridor was also a little musty. But what we didn't appreciate at all was the guy who came talking to us when we took our breakfast. He was asking if everything was ok, but he went to each table and sometimes he took a seat and babbled a long time. ( He also gave us his business card… what's this for…?) Each move we made was controlled and someone asked us if we need something else and that was really annoying.

• Stayed: August 2013
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We agree that location and the condition of facilities are extremely important to our guests but we also believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference. Offering assistance and helpful recommendations for the day ahead during breakfast through our guest relations team is part of our service. Most of our guest also appreciate receiving a business card in case they like to get help or advice during their stay. It seems that you felt differently and I will address your concern and feedback with John Spooner, our Raffles Ambassador and his team to use a more sensitive approach in the future.

Once again, thank you for your candid comments.

Kindest regards

Matthias Al-Amiry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

It was excellent. I was so glad to all staff and GM. I can advice for all Beijing travellers. actually its location is very usefull to transfer other locations. Breakfast and meals aren't cheap. I guess depends to hotel's luxuries. But expensive. Asans sahin

• Stayed: August 2013
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, we would like to express our sincere appreciation for you staying with us and express our gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

It is always a great pleasure to receive positive and encouraging remarks such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is one of the most exceptional hotel experiences that I have ever had. Even for experienced travellers, Beijing can be difficult to navigate. The hotel provided a soft landing to return to each evening. The two roomed suite meant that we could relax for a while and have a luxurious shower or bath before going out for dinner.

The room was lovely, with every amenity that you could want. However, the staff, and the service they provided was what set this hotel apart from others. Nothing was too much trouble.

We arrived at the hotel early in the morning, well before check-in time. I thought we may be able to leave our luggage and have a shower in the gym. We were greeted by friendly staff who checked us in while we sat and sipped Jasmine tea. We were given personalised treatment by John, the Australian hotel ambassador who gave us helpful advice about getting around, and things to see. Within no time, our room was ready.

We would certainly recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again someday.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne W
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Suzanne,

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us and I would also like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We deliver our brand through our unfailing way of behaving – the personality that people see. Everyone working at Raffles behaves consistently, every minute of every day, to deliver what our guests expect from us. We at Raffles are thoughtful and welcoming, charming and graceful.

Hence, it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive such positive and encouraging remarks. We are delighted to learn that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us. We will certainly share your report with John Spooner and his team, as well as all other colleagues.

Again, thank you for recommending Raffles and we are very much looking forward to the opportunity welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing.

General Manger

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We booked the Raffles Beijing for our 3-day tour of Beijing, and were extremely happy with the room, the service, and the location. The value we got for our money was enormous.
The afternoon tea was delicious, but we did not eat the breakfast. Instead we went out for some local restaurants on Wangfujing.
To exit the hotel towards Wangfujing St., you can go through the neighboring Beijing Hotel and use their side exit. This saves a bit of walking and is all air conditioned, so it is highly recommended in the summer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Daniel,

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Here at Raffles our goal is creating emotional luxury by offering thoughtful, welcoming, graceful and charming service. Certainly, location meaning the close proximity to Wangfujing, the Forbidden City and other sightseeing highlights of Beijing is very important to our guests but we also believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference. Therefore, we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed and were wowed by our personalized services.

Should you return to Beijing we would love to welcoming you again to Raffles!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I have done quite a bit of travel to a variety of hotels and countries. We have stayed in many high-end hotels, but the only experience that has come close was the service on the Royal Caribbean cruise line.

What Royal Caribbean and Raffles have in common is providing things that a guest does not even know they want.... which is the ultimate mark of great customer service. Examples of the level of service we experienced:

- Frequently taxi drivers drop off Raffles guests at the adjoining Beijing hotel, so Raffles sends a person to the Beijing hotel to scan the check-in line for Raffles guests [and that is where they found us].
- When I was in the process of wiping my glasses on my blouse, the Business Lounge employee, Sage, whipped out a lens cloth so that I would not scratch my glasses on my blouse. Sage also walked with me from the Business lounge to the dining room where he proceeded to explain the menu, because he used to work there.
- The ambassador, John Spooner, greeted us at breakfast and provided valuable information about how to navigate Beijing. On another note, he offered to retrieve some monies associated with a scam perpetrated on us.

Basically, Raffles does everything right. The overall level of service is top notch. Most of the staff speak pretty good English and could not be more attentive. It is obvious that the staff have been instructed to address guests by their names and to engage them in conversation. In fact, by the end of our 5-day stay, I was weary of answering the question “where are you from.” If we had stayed one more day, I might have begun to make up a fictitious place just to have a little fun.

One of our friends who travels extensively made the comment that Beijing has the best food in world, and I would certainly agree wholeheartedly. Every meal was a delight. The breakfast buffets at Raffles contained a bounty of delectable tastes with a mix of oriental and western dishes. I managed a faux pas at the yogurt bar, which had an assortment of yogurts in mini-mason jars. I opened a jar, poured some yogurt over my fruit, and returned the jar to the buffet. I realized I had made an error when the server discretely and quickly removed the jar from the buffet. It wasn’t until the next morning that I recognized I was supposed to take the whole jar with me to my table --- another lesson learned. The bar drinks, especially the Singapore Sling, are also wonderful, but very pricey at about $20.

As stated before, quality is providing something even before you know you need it as evidenced by what I call the “butter episode”. My husband decided to get a very large slice of bread from the buffet, because he thought it might be cake. Upon sitting down at the table, a server immediately brought over a small container of butter for his bread.
Raffles is conveniently located about ¼ to ½ miles from the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. Additionally, it is one block from at least 2 major shopping malls and 1 block from Wangfuji shopping street, which is an experience that should not be missed…. Especially the food vendors.
All in all… I am totally hooked on Raffles and will always look for hotels in the same group… Raffles, Fairmont, and Swisshotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mai2centsworth

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your report and the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor..

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us. At Raffles our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home and create an “oasis for the well travelled”. Renowned the world over as an exotic, lively and luxuriant spot for travelers to rest, recuperate and enjoy life. A meeting point for many cultures, a place infused with influences from around the world where stories are told and legends are made. Everyone is welcome and feels understood and cared for.

Therefore, it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations.

We will certainly share your report with Sage, our Executive Chef as well as with all our colleagues and we are convinced that accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice them to further improve his services. We believe that true luxury is not just about what people get from us , it`s about how they feel – emotional luxury. The experience you described in your report manifests what we believe in and it makes us extremely proud that you became hooked on Raffles.

Thank you very much again for sharing your thoughts with us and we are looking very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Been to Raffles Singapore and Raffles Phnom Penh. This is my first time at Raffles Beijing. Lovely hotel. I was upgraded to a suite. Beautiful room. Good gym. Good breakfast. Right near the Forbidden City.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for selecting Raffles Beijing Hotel based on the excellent reputation of our “mother ship” The Raffles Singapore and our sister property in Phnom Penh.

We are truly delighted to learn that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations during your recent visit. Your positive remarks are gratifying and encouraging for our colleagues to continually enhance their performance.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you again to Raffles Beijing or any other Raffles Hotel in the near future.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Being quite experienced travellers as we are, we booked this hotel on line, as it seemed - and actually is - at an excellent location for somebody who wishes to see Beijing. We usually like to splurge a little bit during our trips, so for the last 20 years we have preferred to stay at 5 * hotels, especially in countries where effective communication with the locals leaves a lot to be desired, as is definitely the case with the whole of China, with maybe the exception of Hong Kong.
Deeply disappointed, exhausted (from a 15 hour flight) and run down by the whole painful ordeal at the Beijing international airport, of trying to retrieve a lost piece of our luggage which we had failed to retrieve, by communicating with rude/inhospitable/uncourteous airport staff who could/would not speak English French or Italian at all (!!!), we had left the airport without our luggage, uncertain even about whether they had actually tracked down the lost luggage through its barcode label stuck on it, via their on-line system, or not, and having been given (after insisting ourselves) just a couple of phone numbers to contact in case the airport staff neglected to inform us about the luggage, we reached the 5* hotel, expecting to get the concierge to contact the airport and clear it up, as is customary with hotels that boast a "concierge" service.
Indeed, we were greeted by the porter of the hotel who took us to a sofa, in the hotel foyer, made us feel comfortable and offered us a refreshment, in an impeccable manner. Upon having OUR FIRST SIP of our refreshment (and this is no exaggeration at all) and just as soon as I started explaining what had happened to us, we were interrupted by asking for our passports and a visa card to get our check-in underway and in a flash, comes a Mr John something, in his late fifties, with a posh-y-wash-y attitude, formally introduces himself with his name and hints that people like to call him "the ambassador" and shows us the armchair in the foyer where he will sit when in the premises and where he is to be found. Thank God his English is that of a native speaker, I thought to myself!
Much as I was trying to explain to him, however, what we had been through and hoping that we would be given a helping hand, we couldn't fail to notice that he simply pretended to be sympathetic when in fact he was trying to sell us excursions organised by their hotel, which at the time I found completely inappropriate, to say the least!!! When we were asked if we were interested in any of the excursions and we kindly hinted that we were in no position to make such decisions at that time and I was stupid enough to also hint that we had booked a completely private tour of Beijing (remember I told you we are experienced travellers and we like to splurge - I didn't tell you we like to waste our money!!!), he sped up the greeting/relaxation facade, gave us a vague reassurance that our concierge would retrieve the luggage and it must have been during our third or fourth sip when it was suggested that we should follow the guy with our luggage that would NOW take us to our room!!! Of course I had made sure that the concierge had the two numbers to call, but unfortunately that was the last time we saw our "ambassador" and in fact the "throne" was always vacant whenever we came downstairs either leaving the hotel or on our way back to it!!! No one ever contacted us from the hotel staff about our luggage until I demanded to be briefed about the outcome of their search!!! The answer was always "we are sorry but there is no answer"!!! The next morning - thank God - our Chinese tour guide came over to pick us up in the private chauffeur driven car we had booked but confident that they would do their best we didn't think of mentioning it to her, at first. As it was a whole day tour that we had organised, however, all throughout our tour, I would occasionally call them at the concierge office to ask for an update but was always mercilessly given the same answer: "there is no answer". Given the August heat of Beijing and having no clothes myself to change into, I asked our tour guide for her help, as I had realised by that time, that even the concierge was not certain to have understood that he had to actually find the bleeding luggage and not simply to keep calling the two numbers that would not be answered, as it were! I consequently had our guide call the concierge and explain in Chinese that we were expecting to be informed about the luggage. He kept telling her that there was no answer and that there was no answer even at the Qatar information desk at the airport which at the time seemed at least suspicious if not untrue!
To cut a long story short, after several efforts on the part of my guide to get through to the hotel morons, I resorted to the good Mediterranean way and demanded that they look up "the Ambassador" and have him call me in person, or else…..!!! Hardly had some time passed than he called me, but -thank God- by that time the guide realised that they were not doing anything and decided to step in more energetically. That was it! She made, God bless her, three phone calls to the airport! She was so effective that believe it or not the last phone call was to speak to the driver that Qatar had chartered privately to bring me my luggage, who was fighting traffic and time so that a) I would have my heart medication on time and b) they would avoid my pressing charges as I was supposedly suffering from a heart condition and was holding them responsible and threatening to sue them!!! Triumphantly, though, when "the Ambassador" did call me, and confident that my suitcase was already on its way to the hotel, I let the "Ambassador" have it and I also gave him a piece of my mind about his title!!!
From then on, he made sure he was not even close to us when we were around, and I consider that a clever move on his part, indeed!
That's the 5* service of Raffles Beijing for you!
Just to be fair, though, their business centre was VERY WELL CATERED FOR (serviced by an extremely helpful girl who eagerly went out of her way to help us with another Qatar mishap that befell us - online boarding passes files that were emailed to us would not open and therefore could not be printed) , and the service rendered there was impeccable and 5* indeed. Also the German chef they had was excellent indeed and a very likeable fellow!
The Hotel front foyer is really nice, which is more than I can say about the back one which is definitely not on a par with the level of the rest of the hotel! The decoration of the back one leaves a lot to be desired and they should lose the paper lamps for they are making the place tacky!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to learn that you, being an experienced traveler very much appreciated the excellent location of our hotel. Raffles Beijing is located right on Chang An Avenue in the middle of Wangfujing and therefore in walking distance to the Forbidden City, The Great Hall of the People, Tiananmen Square, the Silk Market and the “Egg”.

We were also thrilled to learn that you felt that our Club Lounge facilities, you called it Business Center, are stellar and our colleagues at the Club provided you with the finest service. Also your positive remarks about our Executive Chef, Christian Rose we have noted with pride. We will share your comments with Christian and all colleagues at the Club Floor and are convinced that accolades such as yours will entice them to even further enhance their services.

We certainly also have read your remark regarding the design of our Hotel front Lobby as well as the adjacent atrium which connects our heritage building with the modern wing of the hotel. One of our guests once described the feel and design of our Lobby on TripAdvisor as “a rich man’s mansion”.

The connecting atrium and auxiliary building in which you and your partner stayed are very modern and contemporary. Some of our guests prefer the old charm of the colonial style building and some like the modern look of the adjacent hotel extension. We have noted your preference in your guest profile for possible future visits.

Second, the feedback we received from you regarding your experience with Beijing airport authorities and your lost luggage we are also taking very serious even though it is beyond our control. I was actually puzzled with your elaboration on the matter how you felt we failed you regarding the lost luggage recovery and diligently investigated myself on what had occurred. Knowing John Spooner, our Raffles Ambassador for years and reading positive TripAdvisor responses and letters of praise for him daily I was surprised to read that you felt John`s interaction with you were inappropriate and rather insensitive. After having spoken with John, our Director of Rooms, bellboys as well as with the entire Concierge team I can assure you they all only acted with good intentions and this should not come across as an excuse but only as an apology for any possible misunderstanding. In addition, I like to clarify that the tours John offered upon your arrival are tours to the Wangfujing Night market, the flag raising ceremony on Tiananmen Square and a historic hotel tour we offer our guests on a complimentary basis, courtesy of Raffles. Raffles does not sell or offer tours to any other tourist sites except the ones mentioned above but uses a third party concessionaire to do so.

Last but not least, I would like to take the liberty to mention that I very much appreciate objective and constructive feedback and criticism since only by candid feedback and comments are my team and I able to identify opportunities to continue to improve on our products and services. Our Raffles values are: Excellence, Respect, Integrity and Caring hence , I have to let you know that I do not appreciate and welcome comments that are abusive and use foul language and I certainly also do not appreciate being called a moron. I trust you forgive me for my openness.

Kind regards,