“English elegance in the center of Beijing”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #25 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Very elegant, Very professional and welcoming greeting upon arrival. Business center not that efficient, to few computers. The rooms are awesome, Big and beautifull. Located perfectly for eveningwalks to Tiananmen Square, and Wangfujing shopping Street.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear Tina,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Beijing. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Accolades of appreciation such as yours only encourage us to further improve our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for Beijing Hotel NUO

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Raffles Beijing Hotel is an excellent choice. The service, room and location is ideal for exploring Beijing. I would highly recommend this hotel for both business and pleasure. I hope to take my family here in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear Nathan,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive comments such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us here in the Wangfujing district in which our hotel is located at.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and you family to Raffles Beijing Hotel in the not too far future.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I specifically booked a room in the old part of the hotel. It was magnificent. The stairway from the lobby went all the way to my room in grand splendor and I was on the ninth floor. Each floor was as lovely as the next. I walked the stairway once and then used the elevator. The floors in my room and the hallways are high gloss wood with beautiful carpets. The decor was perfectly fitted to the era and style of the room. The bed was a dream, linens and pillows that were much better than mine at home. The marble bath, tub and shower were spectacular. I rarely dine in my room but did so twice because the room was so elegant and the room service was superb. (Plus it was really really cold outside) I have never had such delicious in room dining. John, the Ambassador, was such a welcome sight when I came back from a long day of sightseeing. He gave me many good practical tips which proved to be very useful. I felt as if I had a friend in Beijing which was comforting. Only complaint, the room got a bit warm at night and there is not thermostat in the room. Get your breakfast included, such a great buffet with foods from around the world well worth the price.

Room Tip: A view out the front was very nice, higher the better.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank juliette1953

Dear Juliette,

First, I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor and on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us. I was delighted to read that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations and I will certainly share your positive remarks with John Spooner, our Raffles Ambassador, our culinary and Room Service team as well as with all other colleagues.

On the other hand, Juliette I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with the heating system. Unfortunately, heating and air-conditioning is centralized and beyond our control, which should not be an excuse but just an apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I hope that this challenge will not prevent you of staying with Raffles Beijing Hotel in the future.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

After we finished a 16 night cruise on Diamond Princess our tour company had booked us into Raffles Beijing. Everyone was so obliging and helpful it made our 2 night stay most enjoyable. As previously stated by another person around the Hotel was in lock-down because of the important meetings that were taking place. However it possibly made us feel more secure in a foreign country!! Everything was great in the Hotel and its position was excellent for Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City. Thanks to all the Staff for making our short stay a Highlight of our first visit to China.
Ralph and Judy Chick----Sydney, Australia.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Ralph and Judy,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing!

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent cruise on Diamond Princess. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel and we are very happy that you felt your stay was one of the highlights of your journey. Should your travels lead you again to Beijing we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Raffles.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed in the Raffles because of the great location and great reviews. Our stay in this hotel did not start on a great note, but was made up for by tremendous service. As other reviewers have mentioned, you really need to see what room they are going to put you in before you accept it. We got put in a room to start that was very warm and in second building of the hotel. There was no way to control the temperature and the room seemed like it needed a renovation. After a discussion with the manager, she moved us to a suite which was top notch. The rooms were night and day. The suite had the traditional "Raffles" feel. The first room we saw did not. I have to still give the hotel five stars based on our experience and the great service from management, however, I could see how many people will not rate this hotel 5 stars going forward depending upon what part of the hotel they stay in and what room they stay in.

The location of the hotel is simply the best in Beijing. You turn one direction and you are in front of the Forbidden City. You turn the other direction, you are on Wangfujing street, which is notorious for it crazy night market full of exotic foods. Also, there is great shopping and great food in that area. The metro is a 3 minute walk. The location is impossible to beat.

Of all the hotels we stayed in China, the service at Raffles was the best. The language barrier was a non issue. The Raffles Ambassador John was super helpful and friendly. He helped my wife with questions about where to find medication, etc. The concierge set up a lovely trip for us to the Great Wall. Really tremendous service.

The breakfast was top notch and the food in the Writer's lounge was tasty.

This is a five star property without doubt, but make sure to get a room that you will like and will not detract from the stay.

1  Thank tpwoofs

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and your positive comments regarding our service, location and the friendliness of our colleagues. On the other hand, we were disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with your room assignment.

As mentioned in a few of my responses on this page Raffles Beijing features two buildings; the heritage building which comprises of 94 colonial style rooms and suites and which compliment the design and historical feel of the Lobby and Writer’s Bar and the auxiliary building in which 77 rooms of contemporary design are located. It really depends on personal preference which room each individual guests likes to stay in.

We also noted your positive remarks about John our Raffles Ambassador and our food & beverage offerings at the all-day-dining restaurant East 33 as well as the Writers Bar. We will share your comments with John, the Executive Chef Christian Rose, our Concierge and their respective teams and we are certain comments such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Location: Excellent. Two blocks from Forbidden City, one from Wangfuging st. and a metro station. Even if you choose to stay in another hotel, I would not stay anywhere else.

Rooms: enormous and very comfortable although little outdated - I believe they have renovated rooms, but we stayed on an old one. We had a room close to the elevator on the back of the main building (on the second floor, I guess) which was a bit noisy - a strange continuous and annoying noise coming from the wall that sounded like the air conditioning but louder.

Service: Outstanding. The hotel employees are extremely cordial and nice. The Hotel Embassador, Mr. John Spooner, dedicated a great part of his time to advise us on places to visit and even helped us solve a problem with a tour guide that forgot about his appointment with us.

Restaurant: Try the Hot Pot. We loved it! I guess they serve it on Monday nights.

Access from Airport: If you are carrying luggage, take a taxi. It will cost you close to CNY100. It´s not Worth the hassle of taking a train and then changing to subway later. Some metro stations have no escalators and the trains are usually crowded.

Access to Great Wall: We went to Mutianyu part of the wall. Great place! go up by cable and down sliding. There are differente ticket booths for the cable and slide. Make sure you buy the tickets for the slide before going up.

1  Thank rmcolin

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us.

Here at Raffles our goal is creating emotional luxury by offering thoughtful, welcoming, graceful and charming service. Certainly, location meaning the close proximity to Wangfujing, the Forbidden City and other sightseeing highlights of Beijing is very important to our guests but we also believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference. Therefore, we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our personalized services extended by John Spooner our Raffles Ambassador.

We have also noted your comment regarding our winter hot pot promotion and are very happy to learn that you enjoyed it. We offer hot pot on Friday and Saturday night at our all-day-dining restaurant East 33.

Again, thank you very much for your detailed report and should you return to Beijing we would love to welcoming you back to Raffles!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel exudes old world charm for those who like it, with modern comfort. The suites are well appointed with amenities that will pamper a tired mind in the hustle and bustle of Beijing. Its location is ideal for visiting TianAnMen and the Forbidden city, as well as the WangFuJing shopping area. The service staff are not particularly friendly, but are elegantly measured and polite. The only problem I encountered during my stay last winter was about the heating in the suite. It was too warm for comfort, and I could not find any temperature control. The service staff offerred me a fan which I declined as it would make much noise. I resorted to open the windows slightly to let a little of cold air in to moderate the heat. Overall, it is a very good hotel that I may return to.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank RenZhe

Dear Guest,

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us. Unfortunately, the room temperature is centralized and beyond our control which should not be an excuse but an apology for any inconvenience caused.

We will certainly share your report with all our colleagues and we are convinced that accolades such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.