“Raffles experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 6,427 Hotels in Beijing
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
“Raffles experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

At the end of a 2-week trip to China, we needed to make a 3-night reservation for a Beijing hotel. When Raffles appeared in the web site search offering, we decided to give it a try. I recognized the name and knew it would be a remember-able experience. Raffles is truly a classic hotel. We were greeted with tea and our rooms were exceptional. This is an historic hotel with gracious service and excellent restaurants. They even recognized my birthday (shown in my passport) with cake in our room for the three of us. The concierge gave excellent advice when we needed some medical supplies.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear James,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for selecting Raffles Beijing Hotel during your business trip this November based on the excellent reputation of the Raffles brand.

We are truly delighted to learn that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations during your recent visit. We will share your report with our Concierge team and all other colleagues and we are certain that your positive remarks are gratifying and encouraging for them to continually enhance their performance.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you again to Raffles Beijing in the near future.

Warm wishes,

Matthias Al-Amiry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at Raffles during November 2012 when all the Chinese dignitaries were staying next door and Beijing was in virtual lock down up to Tienanmen Square.

I was greeted upon arrival by John the General Manager, a fellow Aussie and Sydneysider. He was lovely and we chatted over tea about where to visit and what has changed since 2006.

The room was very large and beautifully re-furnished and the staff were lovely and greeted me by name.

Its a short walk to Tienanmen square and major tourist areas.

Definitely recommend.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Mr. Hardman,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing while here during the National Congress and we appreciate you having taken the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

At Raffles our philosophy is being an “oasis for the well-travelled”. Hence we were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the personalized services our Raffles Ambassador John Spooner and his team extended to you. We will share your remarks with John and we are convinced that comments like yours will encourage John and his team to further enhance their services.

Mr. Hardman, thank you for recommending Raffles Beijing Hotel and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back!

Chiba, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

First class experience. Even the cheapest room here is worth every yuan. Nearby high end shopping areas at tourist sites. Be sure not to miss the writer's bar. Also, the congee breakfast room service is recommended. Had trouble fetching a taxi from the hotel - be sure to reserve one in advance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for you staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations, that you enjoyed your time with us.

It is for sure extremely rewarding being considered one of the best hotels you ever stayed at.

We will certainly share your report with all our colleagues and we are convinced that accolades such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

New Jersey
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,132 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Nice and convenient location not far from a few attractions including Tienanmen square and Forbidden City.. The hotel seems to be connected with other buildings and you can pleasurably stroll, shop or window shop. One of us was familiar from years ago with Raffles Singapore and constantly stressed that the Beijing one one was even classier. Older building but beautifully maintained. Service great. The bar area allows for relaxation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us and I would also like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We deliver our brand through our unfailing way of behaving – the personality that people see. Everyone working at Raffles behaves consistently, every minute of every day, to deliver what our guests expect from us.

Hence, it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive such positive and encouraging remarks. We are delighted to learn that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Again, thank you for recommending Raffles and we are very much looking forward to the opportunity welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing.

General Manger
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Raffles has an old world charm and excellent service. The room I was given was beautifully decorated, very comfortable and quite large though a little noisy as it looking out over Dong Chang-an. For an old hotel, it is quite well maintained but the thing that sets this hotel apart is the service. The staff here went out of their way again and again to make things as easy and as comfortable for me as possible, and did so with a friendliness that is uncommon in Beijing's hotels. There was none of the "I'm too busy to deal with you" brush-offs of the neighboring Grand Hotel, nor was there the forced coolness of the staff at the Opposite House.

The location is excellent for many of the Party buildings, Tiannanmen, shopping on Wangfujing, the Foribidden city. Of the hotels in the area, I would recommend this one above the others I've stayed in (The Grand Hotel and the Peninsula) if only for the service. The breakfasts and lunches I had at the hotel were good. The massage was okay. I didn't try the pool or the spa. I used their transportation services twice (once to take me to a dinner a party in a hard to find location, and once for the airport) and both the drivers and the hotel staff who arranged it were nothing short of perfect.

If you're happy to forgo the lavishness of the Grand Hotel's buzz, the basement grotto and shopping mall, I'd suggest you'll have a better, more relaxed, time here

Room Tip: The room I had faced Dong Chang-an, a very busy street. I'm not sure if there are rooms on the q...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your review on TripAdvisor and the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us.

At Raffles our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home and create an “oasis for the well travelled”. We are committed to delight our guests every day; continually getting better to keep us the best.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and an even bigger compliment is that you felt better taken care of than at our friendly competitors next door.

We will certainly share your report with all other colleagues and we are convinced that accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice all of them to further improve their services. In addition we have noted your preference of a room to the back of the building in your guest profile.

Thank you very much again for sharing your thoughts with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

LOVE THIS HOTEL. Great location, great service, great rooms -- just great all around. BUT, be careful of the full-figured man walking around the hotel lobby. I think he is a concierge or maybe an "ambassador". On the Sunday morning, my Asian (this is important) friends met me in the lobby as we had hired the hotel car to take us to the Great Wall for a day of exploring. However, the rudeness from this employee was un-acceptable. My friends made the mistake of stopping at Starbucks (they are now everywhere in Beijing) and brought their coffee into the hotel. He was pacing around like he was walking on hot coals and told employee's and other guests how rude it was for them to bring coffee into his lobby! Really? He actually said "how rude of these Asians"! In the 1920's perhaps it was "wrong", but it's 2012 and I realize that this is a five-star hotel but he could have pulled me aside and we could have left straight away. But, no, this drama filled man (possibly an unemployeed actor) pulls a hissy-fit all over the lobby -- trust me, everyone knew why he was carrying on! Everyone! I was mortified and thankfully, my friends had no idea what he was talking about as when he pointed to me, I quickly got them out of the hotel. A shame. I have spent nearly my entire career in the luxury hospitality industry and this is the first time that anyone has made such a fuss over a cup of coffee. Really?

Room Tip: Get a room facing the avenue but don't bring anything into the lobby of the hotel like a cup of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James R
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor and on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us. I was thrilled to learn that you love our hotel and that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations.

On the other hand, I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with John Spooner our Raffles Ambassador. I would like to clarify though that our Lobby not only serves as such but also is an additional outlet called “La Vie” in which we serve drinks and snacks. I am convinced this is the reason that caused the misunderstanding. I am certain you will agree that it is very common practice in lounges, restaurants, bars, etc. that it is not appreciated for guests to bring in food and/or beverages. Also the multiple usage of a Lobby as a waiting area and restaurant is very common. Many hotels nowadays even use their Lobby to serve breakfast. This all should no be an excuse but just an explanation and apology for the misunderstanding and inconvenience we caused your outside guests.

We will address your concern accordingly in order to prevent a similar event from reoccurrence.

We hope that this incident will not prevent you of staying with Raffles Beijing Hotel in the future. Please reach out to me personally whenever you are back at Raffles Beijing in order for me being able to discuss the matter in further detail with you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was very happy to see my itinerary include this hotel on a recent business trip. I had stayed here once before, as part of a Mayoral delegation to China. The service is second to none, making the beautiful surroundings feel even better. This is a true safe haven in busy Beijing, being on the main road, close to areas like Wangfujing St and Tiananmen. I certainly felt that a significant period of service history in the Raffles tradition was on show. The rooms are beautiful, the breakfast buffet has all you'll need. The Executive Club floor was small, quiet and useful for the one or two meetings we held there. Very happy to recommend for business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Mark,

Warm greetings from Beijing!

Mark, we are delighted to learn that our services and facilities as well as the location of Raffles Beijing exceeded your expectations during your stay with us during your last business trip. We have noted your positive comments about our rooms, breakfast and the Club Floor and we are extremely happy about your words of praise. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing, be it for business or pleasure.