“A great place to stay”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #26 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 25, 2012

A truly fabulous hotel that is well located with spacious rooms, soft beds and great service. A really nice in house restaurant with a fabulous buffet for all tastes and very well priced. Very friendly staff who speak English well, nothing is too much trouble. Concierge set up two day tours with guides and though expensive, they were truly of value. Tour guides spoke very good English and were very knowledgeable. I was asked to evaluate their performance after the tours. My 5 day stay at this hotel was a wonderful experience as was my overall visit to China.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and we appreciate you having taken the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to learn that enjoyed the day-tours our Concierge team organized for you. We will share your remarks with the Concierge and we know that comments and accolades such as yours will encourage them to further enhance their services.

In addition we were happy to read that our food and beverage offerings at our all-day-dining restaurant East 33 exceeded your expectations.

We certainly are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Raffles Beijing.

Matthias AL-Amiry

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We recently stay here for a week we were very happy John was extremely helpful. The room was lovely food was great. We changed our money at the front desk which was great. The mall and night markets are just around the corner from the hotel nice easy walk. We walked down to tianamen square and the forbidden city. I felt very safe walking around at night. Visited the silk markets came home with lots of regrets as I should have bought a lot more there as it was very cheap shopping. I would highly recommend raffles great location and wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Lovely large room with king size bed and large bathroom with separate bath and shower our room was i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are delighted to learn that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations during your stay with us in June 2011. We have noted your positive comments about John and we are certain John will be extremely happy to learn about your words of praise. Again, thank you for recommending Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

There are plenty of good reviews for this hotel in these pages. Let me summarize our (alternative) experience thus: We live in Singapore, and love the original Raffles. This operation is providing a product that is nothing even close to anything the Raffles brand should be associated with. Our experience was far from five star.

Here's a brief summation of the good and the bad:

Pros: The location is amazing. The rooms are a good size. The wifi is free. The staff (with the exception of the front desk and out-front staff - see below) are good. The hotel's "ambassador" is terrific - good advice and a nice personality (if the rest of the hotel had been as good, this review would be very different.)

Cons: Too many to mention. But I'm going to try.

1. If you're on business, don't stay here. Don't. Firstly, it's in the wrong part of town (you need to be between the third and fourth ring roads), but more importantly, the uniformed staff out front don't care if you need to get a taxi quickly. Worse, they don't seem to care if the taxi driver grasps where you need to go. On two occasions, these guys failed me (and the taxi driver) completely. I will never stay here on business again - ever.

Secondly, when you're on business, you don't want to be dealing with keys that don't work in the elevators, and people at the front desk that don't carry out instructions, don't give a hoot, don't look you in the eye when you have a request, and make you wait for fifteen minutes to fulfill a simple request. You don't want to be in the situation of phoning down from a business meeting for a pot of fresh coffee and answering the door to a person holding five sachets of powdered Nescafe.

This is Beijing 2012 not Beijing 1982. That was charming then - it isn't now.

2. If you're traveling with your family, don't expect too much from the (very) sparse amenities. This is not a very "warm" hotel - and not at all like the Singapore original (which we've been going to for three decades, and love.. The number of places in this building that you can lounge around in or just simply relax are few. Outside of the tiny main lobby and Writers Bar, the place is dark, and not at all inviting. I've experienced warmer officer buildings.

But we gave it a go - day one, we went to the hotel pool - only to find out it was totally unheated (cold as Siberia, actually) - and totally lacking in vibe. We bathed for a handful of minutes in the over-chlorinated hot tub, then exited. At which point the pool manager demanded our towels back and told us that we couldn't take them to our room. What? We (very) grudgingly left our towels behind at the manager's desk and took our freezing, dripping wet three year old back to the room via the elevators - but were seriously unimpressed.

Note: I'm sure the "Manger's Reply" to this point will include some BS about the swimming pool management "not being under the control of the hotel." Raffles, I don't care - I'm paying YOU the nightly fee, not some spa/swimming pool management company I've never heard of. The Grand Hyatt seems to be able to heat its pool and collect the towels from the room afterwards...so why can't you?

Still on the subject of towels, back at the room, upon showering, we were confronted with a total supply of two towels for three people - and a room thermostat that simply refused to allow the heating system to maintain a temperature above eighteen degrees Celsius. Obviously the management is unaware that most women manage to use two towels on their own. As for adjusting the towel allotment for family bookings, well, that didn't happen.

There are other issues with the Raffles Beijing, but I don't have all night to type this. For me, when I'm spending money on a hotel, I want it to be warm, inviting, generous, and memorable. The Raffles Beijing does not satisfy any of these needs - it is a boring as a balance sheet, and not about to create a reputation for greatness anytime soon. There are better hotels in BJ.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sightseeing_Cynic

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you and your family for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests. We are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best. Only by candid feedback and comments such as yours are we able to identify opportunities to continue to improve on our products and services.

We were delighted to learn that you, being here on vacation enjoyed the location of our hotel. Raffles is located right on Chang An Avenue in the middle of Wangfujing and therefore in walking distance to the Forbidden City, The Great Hall of the People, Tiananmen Square, the Silk Market and the “Egg”. Therefore it might at times indeed be difficult to get taxis since, as you rightly mentioned cars are not allowed to stop on Chang An Avenue. To overcome this challenge we have established strong relationships with two cab companies and offer our guests to pre-book cabs. In addition we have made arrangements with a third-party transportation company and offer a taxi limousine which brings guests up to the 5th ring road at an only marginal higher coast than a regular taxi.

We have also noted your remark regarding the design of our Lobby and the Writers Bar as well as the adjacent atrium which connects the heritage building with the modern wing of the hotel. The Writers Bar honors the many Chinese and foreign literary luminaries who have been in residence at the hotel, visited or written about it over the years. The original timber sprung dance floor, pristine once more, evokes the frequent events when the hotel first served as an important venue between Chinese and foreign politicians, including Chairman Mao, and Zhou Enlai. One of our guests once described the feel and design of our Lobby and the Writers Bar on TripAdvisor as “a rich man’s mansion”.

The connecting atrium and auxiliary building are very modern and contemporary. Some of our guests prefer the old charm of the colonial style building and some like the modern look of the adjacent hotel extension.

The feedback we received from you and other TripAdvisor users regarding the pool we are taking very serious. Raffles does not operate the pool, as I mentioned a couple of times in my responses but we have now agreed with the operator to set the temperature of the pool as we feel to a pleasant 26 degrees Celsius. In order to guarantee and maintain this set temperature the operator has agreed that Raffles takes temperature readings and logs them twice a day. We strongly believe that this measure will help us to overcome the pool temperature challenge. In addition I would like to mention that the pool area also features a hot tub which temperature is constantly set at 36 degrees Celsius.

I am also delighted to report that we have in the meantime changed the proximity card readers in the two elevators of the heritage building. The card readers in the two elevators of the adjacent building will be changed by first week of November. The reply of our guests so far is extremely positive.

Unfortunately, we are and we will be unable to control the temperature in the rooms. As mentioned in one or two of my responses regarding room temperature challenges I would like to reiterate that heating and cooling is government controlled. Just recently we discussed this topic during one of our regular GMs luncheons we hold on a monthly basis with GMs of all luxury hotels in Beijing. None of us is in control of heating and cooling. The Chinese government turns on heating on November 15 every year and switches to cooling mid April. This is a general practice for residential and commercial buildings. To somehow compensate for this shortcoming we here at Raffles Beijing offer mobile heating and cooling units which is not ideal however, helps to somehow control room temperature.

In addition, we have noted your extremely positive comments regarding the terrific and personalized services our Raffles Ambassador John Spooner and his team extended to you. We will share your remarks with John and his colleagues and we know that comments and accolades such as yours will encourage them to further enhance their services.

Again, I would like to thank you for your very constructive feedback which will enable us to improve our services and facilities. Should you be back in Beijing in the near future I would like to offer you to personally discuss your report with me over a coffee or a meal.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I recentely stayed at this hotel, great experience, great staff their knowlewdge of English was impressive.
The food was great, the western breakfast was as good as anything you would find in the states. The staff went out of their way to meet any request. The room was as expected, nothing less. Entering the hotel was awe inspiring, very impressive; definitely a five star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

First, we would like to express our personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Second, on behalf of the entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, we would like to express our sincere appreciation for you staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Raffles Beijing in a Landmark Room. The room was spacious, clean and extremely comfortable.

The staff was friendly and very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one.

The hotel is in a fantastic location for Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, Mao’s Mausoleum and adjacent to a very large shopping mall.

I would definitely recommend Raffles Beijing.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Beijing. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Accolades and sentiments of appreciation such as yours only encourage us to further improve our services and facilities.

Should your travels lead you again to Beijing we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Raffles.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed for two nights with breakfast. Fabulous service, the breakfast choices in the restaurant were very good, my husband had omelette made to suit, I usually opt for cereal and fruit - and the selection was extensive. The hotel is just next to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. John, the Aussie Ambassador, met our group and checked us in - over jasmine tea and a chat. Just lovely. John is also the go-to guy for tips on where to go etc.

The room was large, well appointed and with high ceilings. It is very plush, and quiet. We faced the main road but was not bothered by the traffic at all. The bed is so comfortable - and huge. Probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

1  Thank RosieCanberra

Dear Rosie,

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the location, our facilities as well as the personalized services our Raffles Ambassador John Spooner and his team extended to you. We will share your remarks with John and we know that comments and accolades such as yours will encourage John and his team to further enhance their services. We also noted your positive comments regaring our breakfast buffet and will share them with Our Executive Chef Christian Rose and his team. The biggest compliment certainly is to learn that you awarded Raffles Beijing Hotel as the best hotel you ever stayed in.

Rosie, once again, thank you very much for staying with us.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed 2 days at this hotel, in a business trip. The room was big and comfortable, but what really made a difference for me what the staff. Very friendly, very proactive, and willing to meet any request at any time. I absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us and I would also like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. Everyone working at Raffles behaves consistently, every minute of every day, to deliver what our guests expect from us. We at Raffles are thoughtful and welcoming, charming and graceful.

Hence, it is a great pleasure to receive such positive remarks. We are delighted to learn that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we are very much looking forward to the opportunity welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel.