“5 Star Service, Large Rooms”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #23 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Los Angeles, CA
“5 Star Service, Large Rooms”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel is walking distance from Forbidden City, Tieneman Square, and the shopping street. Service is excellent, with the concierge greeting me by my name. I stayed in the Business, Inc. room, which is a suite with a living room and bedroom.

Pros: Large room, great service, good location, great breakfast, clean and modern.

Cons: Heating/air cond didn't work well in my room, breakfast super expensive (like $30 usd per person), gym could use more weight equipment, cabs do not like to take you to this hotel because of traffic on street.

Tip - if you are going to visit the great wall, do not do a tour group. The tour group will take you to jade factories and/or silk factories to earn a commission. Take a private cab to the wall. Yes, it is more expensive, but you will not waste half a day going to places you do not want to visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank gilp12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Beijing is a city that requires some work and patience. Staying at the Raffles is exactly the opposite. The staff were very helpful and extremely attentive. There was some construction going on behind the hotel (which was going on at night) and the hotel staff was very happy to move us to a different quieter room for our second night there. The tour desk set up a very nice tour of the great wall for us that required no advanced planning. The rooms are beautifully decorated and offer a pleasant respite from the gritty city. Oh yes and I must mention the breakfast. It is worth every penny- it is a decadent smorgasbord of eastern and western delights. I highly recommend a stay at the Raffles Beijing.

• Stayed November 2011
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The location of the hotel was fantastic. The majority of the staff spoke English, any requests were delt with in minutes and all with a smile and politeness. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2011
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Well where do I begin. My family and I purchased an airport pick up service through Raffles Beijing and we were met at the gate with a tidy driver who spoke English well. We were welcomed into the hotel by a swarm of people and ushered to a lounge to fill out the paper work and was offered refreshments while they got our keys ready. When all the check-in formalities were complete we were guided around the hotel by a staff member with excellent English and shown to our connecting rooms and all the gadgets inside them. The rooms are very clean and the bathrooms are beautiful with marble and a huge shower and separate bath tub. The air conditioning was not working too well in our room but one call and the hotel sent someone to fix it straight away. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and although pricey the food was good - and a cake was provided for my 21st Birthday. I wouldn't eat in the restaurant again because I'd prefer to explore the Chinese dining options in Beijing but it was perfect for this occasion. The spa service is great if you want to indulge yourself they can even come and do messages in your room! In all it was a great experience with a terrific welcome and send off from the hotel staff. I would recommend this hotel which is full of history to anyone celebrating a special occasion or looking to treat themselves! I wouldn't stay in another Beijing hotel after this experience!

Room Tip: Take the Business upgrade to get the best Business Executive Rooms!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ItsAllOutThere
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have always held the Raffles Hotel brand in high regard but this stay at the Raffles Beijing has

just been such a let down in so many ways. Look, I think the key ingredients to a good hotel

stay is actually pretty straightforward: a decent bed, a quiet night's rest, and friendly service. I

think many people would agree with this list. But really, the Raffles Beijing was such a

disappointment that I can't imagine ever coming back to stay again.

Firstly, while the location is very central, taxi drivers don't seem to know that this hotel exists.

They simply haven't even heard the name before. So good luck to you if you need to get in and

out by taxi but can't speak Mandarin. It doesn't help that the streetside signage just says

"Raffles Hotel Beijing" in English and there's nothing in Chinese characters for the taxis/locals.

Luckily I speak Chinese so was able to give directions to the taxi drivers.

And yes, the lobby looks stunning. But try speaking to the hotel staff and soon the sheen of this

hotel will fade. I arrived on a red eye flight and reached the hotel at about 8am. I was really

looking forward to freshening up in my room before a morning meeting. But at the front desk, I

was informed by the staff that the room wasn't ready since check-ins were usually after 12

noon. That's fine. Disappointing but nothing to get too worked up about. But the attitude of

the staff members was just appalling. Being rude and brisk is one thing. But somehow, they managed to put the blame of the problem on me ("well, I

see on the sytem here that you were supposed to arrive in the evening so no, your room isn't

ready yet. Come back after noon." Funny. This red eye flight was my original itinerary. Nothing was

changed before my trip. Not sure where the miscommunication happened but the way the way

the staff were completely unapologetic/unsympathetic about it really wasn't very helping.)

"Devil may care" is probably the best description of the two front desk staff's attitude. My

colleague had less charitable words for his own check-in experience ("I feel like I'm in a

domestic three-star hotel.") In the end, I practically had to beg for them to finally find me a

room. You would've thought guests were a burden rather than business to them.

When I finally got to my room, the lights/power wouldn't come on. As is typical in hotels in

Asia, power in the room only comes on when you put your keycard into a slot. I did this. Once,

twice, thrice. No luck. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is me and not the keycard slot,

even though I've done this countless times in other hotels. Then I tried getting the help of a

housekeeper. She tries the keycard in the slot a few times too. No luck. Room is still without

power. After a few minutes, we finally manage to get the power in the room going. But before I

got from the door to the bed, the power went off in the whole room again, leaving me in the

dark. It seems like the electrical connection between the keycard slot and the power is a bit

loose?

But the "fun" is hardly over. The room is freezing - after adjusting the temperature controls I realise it's not having any effect on the temperature. I call the operator to see if there's a way to

fix this problem. I am then told that the controls in the room don't really work and if it gets too

cold I should "just turn off the air conditioning". The operator then offers to send engineering

staff up to help look into the problem. Well, it's been an hour since my call with the operator.

No engineers yet and it's so cold in the room I'm sitting at the desk wearing my jacket AND a scarf, and my hands are still as cold as ice. And this is coming from someone who has survived Antarctica and don't usually have any issue with the cold.

I see a lot of good reviews on this site for Raffles Beijing. So maybe I just got unlucky with the staff and the room. But I really don't ask for much - I just need a hotel that can give me a room when I arrive, and a room that won't be so cold it turns me blue in the face. Considerate staff would be a plus. Sadly, Raffles Beijing fails on all counts. Did I really just get unlucky on this visit? Maybe. But as a corporate traveller, my schedules are hectic enough as it is. Why take chances with a hotel with so many issues? Next time, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank penguinprint
Raffles B, Resident Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor, and your feedback will help us to continuously improve our service and facilities.

First of all, we would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing. On the other hand we were disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with public taxi transportation, room temperature and our check-in policies and procedures. We understand that after a long flight our guests expect their room to be ready when they arrive early in the morning even though check–in time after 12 noon is what international hotel required normally.

We will certainly take your comment seriously and we will try finding a solution. Also your remarks regarding the room temperature we have internally discussed with the Engineering team in order to find a solution.

At Raffles, we strive to provide every guest with the most comfortable experience, but we seem to have failed in meeting your expectations on this occasion. We do hope we have an opportunity to welcoming you again.

Christian Westbeld
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 10, 2011

While this is not an inexpensive hotel by Beijing standards, it is not unreasonable by US standards. You may want to check rates through an Asian travel agency rather than going through the hotel's website to get the best rate.

The staff does speak very good English if you are not able to say more than "ni hao" in Chinese. Sleeping rooms are large, comfortable, well equipped, beautifully decorated. The fitness center and pool are very good. The breakfast and dinner buffets are superb, with an astounding variety of hot and cold foods, cooked to order foods, fresh foods, food to suit vegans and carnivores alike no matter what your favorite cuisine.

The location is perfect for walking to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. It is near the subway for traveling further, and on a main street serviced by many taxis (the main means of travel for many tourists).

Do not confuse the Raffles Beijing Hotel with the Beijing Hotel next door!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I am a huge fan of the Raffles Singapore property, as well as the Raffles properties in Cambodia. Each of these hotels set the standard for gracious hospitality in these exotic locales. During a recent business trip to Beijing, I therefore was very eager to stay at the Raffles Beijing. This particular property is not at all what I had expected. Indeed, very little of the historic charm is evident outside of the main lobby. In fact, most rooms are in a separate building which you access through a very sterile, cold, corporate office type of walkway. The rooms are modern, undistinguished and nothing I found special. The service is friendly, and accomodating. The food at the breakfast buffet was plentiful and good. The location of this property, just steps from Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City, as well as shopping, are unbeatable. Location is a major plus. Finally, let me note that the Club floor was simply awful. The promise of soda, beer and cookies, as well as snacks during cocktail hour were one of my biggest disappointments. The cookies were absolutely disgusting, and stale, and the selection of food was just awful. Thank goodness there was free soda and beer, but the cold sterile environment of this facility made me seek escape each time I visited (always hoping, but never finding the hospitality I was seeking). On my next visit to Beijing, I will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business