“Great atmosphere, good place to meet people!”
Review of Leo Hostel

Leo Hostel
Ranked #6 of 941 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Qufu, China
“Great atmosphere, good place to meet people!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed in a single room, was very clean, big bed, quiet and really safe. The bathroom smelt a little funky, but not due to dirtiness, maybe plumbing?

In a great area, loads of restaurants and shops, close to all major sights in Beijing and the girls and guys at the hostel were super sweet and very helpful.

I think it is definitely a great option for beijing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The girls that worked here were so friendly and helpful. The hostel itself wasn't overly clean, but it isn't brutal. I would recommend bringing a pillowcase just for comfort purposes. It was cold in the room, basically because the window wasn't sealed. The resturaunt is amazing and it was almost always open! The food was so great and they even tried to have western food.
I would stay here again. Great price and homie environment.

Room Tip: The singles room with a bathroom was worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This was our first ever hostel we stayed in on our trip through China and absolutely loved it. It's not perfect by any means but we had such a great time here. The atmosphere was awesome and the staff were so polite and friendly, they helped us with loads of stuff. Although if you do laundry it may take a while to get back to you. Food and drink we're inexpensive and very good but explore the restaurants near by too as they're a little cheaper. The showers were lovely and hot and sinks were clean.
We went on a great wall tour with them which seemed a little pricey, however worth every single penny!!! They took us to a remote part of the wall and didn't see another tourist there, it was magical! The free lunch was gorgeous too and accommodated our vegetarian needs.
My only complaint was the hostel was Smokey, but I guess that just something you can't change. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to all.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank xiciex
Sooke, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

First, the saving grace was the trip to the Great Wall. I had been to this section about ten years previously, still not crowded and the tour guide was fantastic - he works solely for Leo from what he said and they need to make sure they keep him! Attentive to my needs but not overbearing.

Now for the hostel itself. I decided to stay there because my daughter and husband had said they were happy with the tour and that is what I wanted. Unfortunately, they first tried to put me in a dark, dank corner room with a single bed. I nixed that. They then put me in a room with two single beds, same price as a double or single. To my horror I discovered that the only source of heat came from the AC - from above my head. This would possibly have been find if the floor did not feel like ice everytime I put my food down - they do provide rubber 'slippers'. My bed was freezing all night wherever my body did not touch, despite the fact I had two quilts. The bedding reaked of bleach, rather sickening. The response of the front desk and the manager was to suggest yet another room; this would not have solved the problem of a concrete floor with stone, or similar material, tiles. The cold just rose. The other reason I stayed there was because my apartment in Beijing did not have any hot water - so stay overnight, no need to rush about trying to boil water and get to the tour van on time. Right, no hot water! Absolutely freezing cold water, tried turning the tap the other way - same thing. I found out it can take upwards of ten minutes before the hot water comes on. This information came from another guest. The tap is reversed, hot is cold, cold is hot - not helpful when only cold water is running out. As the shower is between the sink and the toilet it meant running the shower with no access to anything unless I wanted a cold blast of water. I have stayed at other hostels in China, including Beijing, this is the only one that does not provide packets of shampoo, body wash/soap or in room drinking water. They seem to bring in guests because they have been in place for several years. Granted the area is great, lots to do, close to Tiannamen, the subway and Forbidden City.
While checking out another guest came to the counter to complain about his hot water, the clerk was not very helpful. Then the guest said his heat had not worked properly all night. So, this is a major problem that they need to deal with. i am going to tell people to steer clear of Leo Hostel.
I did have pizza when with my daughter and her husband, however chose to not eat there again after I saw the cesspool running below the kitchen floor. I strongly urge the owners of this hostel to spend less money on the trappings and more on comfort. They are charging enough to be classed as a hotel, but fall far short of any class.

Room Tip: Ask for the heat if staying in winter - it gets COLD! I requested hot drinking water,, they did bin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I joined Leo's trip to the Great Wall of China. I really recommend the tour as it takes you a bit of the beaten track avoiding the touristy areas. When we went there we practically had the wall for ourselves (9 guys in a Toyota Hilux style van)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed at the Leo Hostel for a few nights last April, it was only ok, set back was if there were less dusty, on my final night when i shifted from bunk sharing to a double bed room as my friend join me, the room seems unfinished with dust from renovation. Water clog up during shower. Perhaps the hostel should not check in their guest if the room not ready. But at the least staff in the hostel were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed here for nearly 2 weeks! Met some great people and had a really awesome time here! The common room is great, they have a free movie room! It really has a great atmosphere, staff are very sweet and helpful! They went out of their way to help us, and we made a lot of friends.

When our shower flooded in the room they washed and dried all our laundry for free and switched rooms with no trouble. We didn't really see the dorms as we stayed in the courtyard bit outside in a double room. The double rooms themselves aren't that comfortable, the paint was peeling and flecks were always falling off onto the bed and all our clothes etc. In the second room there was an inch gap under the door that led straight to the outside so it was pretty chilly and one night A MOUSE came into the room which wasn't exactly ideal. We felt like the rooms weren't really for chilling in, we only came in to sleep and shower. The upstairs communal bathroom wasn't very clean and was quite dingy. If you stay here, it really is a great place to meet people and a really fun atmosphere, there is always something going on! We were here for 2 dumpling parties and both were a good way to meet people and The Leo hostel drinking game is very amusing! BUT, be aware that the cleanliness isn't always great, I saw mice on a few occasions and there are bugs about.
Saying this, the staff, common area and people Leo hostel brings in are worth staying here for. The service from staff is excellent and there is a huge food menu, we were both impressed with the dishes. The secret wall tour they organise was a highlight of my time in Beijing! A small group of us got to explore parts of the unrestored wall. We were the only people on the wall, and there just happened to be snow on the ground as well which added to the experience.
Good location as well, very close to Tiananmen Square and cheap shops.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple