“Perfect Position for business”

The Westin Beijing Financial Street
Ranked #21 of 6,564 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I've stayed in the apartment wing on the first visit (which was a stunning 2 bedroom affair at a reasonable price) so on the second visit, I thought I try the hotel as I was a solo traveller.

The position of this hotel is brilliant. Its also a very well kept property. Being less than 5 years old (?) I applaud the team there for keeping it in good order.

I relish the Sunday "red" theme at brunch where there is a massive selection of food and champagne. The quality of the food is brilliant with a highlight being the seafood and Peking duck section. The australian food and beverage manager (Jason) is very knowledgeable and approachable. He leads an excellent team.

The breakfast buffet daily is good although it gets a bit boring after a while (I stayed four days).

The rooms are well appointed and the staff are very efficient - for instance, my iron was broken and no sooner had a called service express but another was at my door.

Drinks are cheaper from the mini-bar than the bar. The bathroom is excellent although the placement of the rubbish bin is quite annoying (by your feet near the toilet).

Well worth the stay with reasonable rates.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank SteveAucklandNZ

Reviewed October 25, 2009

Our room was comfortable and attractive. Had all the basics that a modern traveler would want. The Westin "Heavenly Bed" is indeed wonderful to sleep in. Issues to watch for at this hotel: 1. the restaurants have good food but the prices are outrageous for Beijing. (They apparently count on expense-account business travelers who are not cost conscious. With the low cost of labor and food here, Westin is gouging its customers. ) Contrary to what you may read elsewhere, you can eat well nearby for much less. Try the Sunshine Kitchen a couple of blocks away - the food is terrific, easy to order for English speakers, reasonably priced (about one third of the Westin's prices) and the restaurant decor is smart. For something quick, cheap and informal, try the food court downstairs in the Seasons Place mall across the street. Far better than food courts in the US, although there is no English yet. There is also a large supermarket downstairs for snacks, drinks, etc. 2. the walls are thin in this hotel and if your neighbors are noisy, this can be a problem. Rooms at the end of the hall are best since they share only one wall with another room; 3. staff is very friendly and tries hard but English can be a problem. We had to report problems with our room lights 3 times before someone fixed them - we think they didn't understand what we were telling them. 4. rooms can need more attention - in addition to our problems with lights, the phones in our room had to be fixed and the carpets were stained. Surprising lack of attention to detail for a hotel in this price stratum. Despite all these issues, I recommend the hotel. The beds are that good. Just be aware of the comments above.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mrboyo
Westin_Beijing_FS, Online Marketing, Hotel Management at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2009

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review and we are actually glad to know your sleeping experience is sooth with our “Heavenly Bed”.

Regarding the pricing of our restaurants, while we understand there are many dining options around the hotel, which we recommend to guests who prefer to take local food or dine out, our restaurants are priced competitively and in line with hotels of the same international standard in Beijing.

However, we are sorry to learn that the conditions of the room you stayed are less than perfection. We’ve addressed this issue with our related team and we guarantee this is not a norm for a Westin hotel. At the same time, appropriate English trainings have also being arranged for our local associates in our teams, as a part of our continuous efforts to meet our guests’ expectations.

Again, we appreciate your time and review and sincerely welcome you back in the short future, to rediscover your experience of renewal.

Be well.

Reviewed October 17, 2009

I checked out of the Westin Beijing Financial Street last week, and I'll never stay there again, although I've been invited to return with the offer of an upgrade. It wouldn't matter if they offered me a week in their most expensive room free. I can't get back the moment they spoiled.

I know management there reads these reviews, so guys, my confirmation number was 204494160. I'm a Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, so I'm comparing my service at your hotel to other Westins I've stayed at, in other countries.

My poor experience began before arriving. I called the hotel and explained to the concierge that this was a very special weekend, and I'd be asking my girlfriend to marry me. I asked if they could find a nice nightclub and get me and my date on the guestlist. They had no idea what I was talking about and kept asking me if I wanted a restaurant reservation. I booked a hair "appointment" for my girl. I say "appointment" because when I called the hair salon to make an appointment, they didn't ask for her name. They were like "Seven? Yeah, sure, show up." This made me nervous, and my fears were realized later. Then I attempted to book a makeup lesson at the spa. This is a service advertised on their website. The person who answered the phone didn't know the word "lesson" and told me there was no makeup person available for a Friday afternoon! Then I called Jewel, their fine-dining Chinese restaurant. I asked for a table away from the kitchen. The person who answered the phone didn't understand what I meant. I put my girlfriend on, who speaks Chinese, and they STILL didn't understand. Exasperated, I got in touch with a manager (Larry Sun) who, to his credit, said he'd confirm everything. He called me back the next day and said it was all taken care of, no problems. Hair, makeup, and they got me in at a good club not too far away.

So we show up. For our trouble on the phone, Mr. Sun upgrades us to a VERY nice Renewal Suite. So far so good. I go down to the spa and find out they've got makeup for the following evening, so we move everything to Saturday. No makeup lesson, though, just makeup. If they've got a makeup person available, why can't they do a lesson, especially when the person getting the lesson speaks Chinese? This makes no sense to me. Anyway. Friday night we go to the club. That was the ONE amazing experience they set me up with. They contacted the club's floor manager, who gave us a personal tour of the 3-dance-floor-plus-intimate-terrace club, styled like an opium den, which is what The World of Suzie Wong Club is. We didn't have to wait or pay cover, and we sat at VIP tables all night. Fantastic.

On to the big night, Saturday. She gets into her dress, I put on my suit. She goes down for a facial at the spa. Facial is great. Then on to hair. This was the real problem. They had one kid on hand when we walked in, and he didn't know what he was doing. Nice guy, but he told her her hair was too thick to style (was doing a simple chignon with hairpins, which she's worn before), and proceeded to put a RUBBER BAND (not made for hair...made for wrapping a NEWSPAPER) in her hair. We had to cut it out later, as rubber is impossible to remove. She ended up doing half the hair job herself and when I walked in to see how she was doing, she was near tears. I took pictures of the debacle which I may post later. I called the duty manager who immediately acknowledged that her hair didn't look good. But there were no longer any other options. We went back to the spa for her makeup.

They do not have a professional makeup setup there. They had her in an armchair with the makeup artist (who was very kind) leaning over her, working from an endtable. They didn't drape anything over her dress or line her collar to keep makeup from falling on it (she had to ask for towels). The makeup did look beautiful. The artist was skilled. They went over on time for both hair and makeup and we had to push our table reservation back a couple times. The duty manager was sorry, but when I was trying to explain the issues, he was so busy nodding and apologizing, I don't really feel he was hearing what I was saying. He was so busy exercising his customer service training he was failing to connect. Its okay. I can't ask for the world, I guess, and he was doing his best to try and solve the problem. He offered to send red wine to my room later that evening. I told him red wine wasn't going to bring the magic back. My girlfriend was going into one of the biggest nights of her life stressed and upset.

Eventually we made it to dinner. Jewel is nice. Reasonably priced for the level of service and the quality of the food (excellent), but they were out of all the dishes I asked for. No terrine of pork ear. No pigeon. Had Beijing duck the previous day at the best restaurant for that in the city (Liqun) , so oh well, I guess we'll have the chicken.

I'd have skipped asking her to marry me on this trip and waited for a better moment, but she was expecting it, so that wasn't really an option. We're happily engaged now, but the Westin didn't much help with that.

On checkout, Mr. Larry Sun was very apologetic and took the hair charges off my bill, but when I told him about the rest of my experience, and that I'd never come back, he gave me his card and said "Come back, and email me first, and I'll make sure everything goes well. We'll do something special for you." But I just said I wasn't coming back...didn't he just hear me? He was doing his best as well, but the real problem is that the associated services (hair/spa/concierge) just aren't world class, which is what I expect from the Westin, and what I've gotten at every other place I've stayed.

My summary is: the rooms are nice. The renewal rooms with the bath concierge are great. If you are an aficionado of spas or other services, or if you're doing an event requiring multiple services at the hotel, STAY ELSEWHERE. If you're going to be out all day or you're just going to hole up in your room, this might be a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveling_Asia
Westin_Beijing_FS, Hotel Management at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2009

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing us and taking your time to share your feedback with us after your recent stay with us

We are truly disappointed to hear of the inconsistent service delivery you experienced, we certainly do regret that we were not able to deliver on your expectations in regard to our hair salon, spa and other outlets. Although we cannot change what has already transpired, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback for us and we have addressed the specific issues that you have noted directly with our respective teams.

We will strive to improve our service towards our customers and we hope that you can give us another opportunity to renew your experience. Please feel free to contact our management team if you need any further assistance.

Be well.

Reviewed October 9, 2009

The hotel is not located near the main tourist sites. However, it is a 5 minute walk to the subway and taxis are always available and cheap. The area is clean and safe. Service was very good. The breakfast buffet is high quality, but expensive by Beijing standards.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank TravelingProudDad
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We were at the end of a 14 day Gap Tour that had taken us from Shanghai, to Yichang, Three Gorges, to Xian, to Pingyao, to Datong, ending up in Beijing. We had stayed on
rusty old sleeper trains, bug infested ferry boats, and low budget hotels with rock hard beds, dirty carpets, smelly bathrooms, and indifferent staff. We had planned a couple of extra days in Beijing, and booked the Westin.

I nearly cried when we walked into the Westin. The hotel smelled fresh and clean. The front desk staff was smiling and welcoming. We went up to our room and flopped on the bed... It was the most comfortable bed in China! We had ample plush, clean towels! When we went down to the concierge for dinner suggestions, he ran out into the street to get us a cab at shift change! I wish I could remember his name, because he really bent over backwards to suggest great places to eat, and great experiences in Beijing.

Our son met us the next day. They had a rollaway in our room, and made sure there were extra towels, extra complimentary water, etc. The first thing our son said was "Wow, it smells great in here!" He said it was the best bed in China, and it was a rollaway! He also loved the pool area, fitness room, and friendliness of the staff there.

I can't say enough about this hotel. It is not on a main street, but we found that to be a positive, when every street is full of honking vehicles and chaos. Cab fare is cheap in
China.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BendTraveller58
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Enjoyed a very pleasurable three nights at the Westin Beijing Financial Street in a standard room. The Westin "heavenly beds" are truly legendary and really eases one into sleep.

Great swimming pool and gym facilities as well as excellent health food options from in room dining menu. General ambience of the hotel is business like because of location, but really aims to and does deliver to a "taking you more personally" service which many large business hotels do not deliver. As example - lobby area always attended by at least 3 or 4 attendants making light conversation, offering tips on things to do and always willing to assist with reservations for shows, taxi's etc.

The subway only 250m from hotel is a convenient and cheap way of exploring the city and even though not located in the tourist centre, most tourist attractions no more than a 10 or 15min subway ride away.

Can't wait to stay at the Westin Beijing again soon.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2009

The hotel is located at Financial Street which is nearby to Tiananmen Square. They have special meal for breakfast Superfood Rx which is very good option for traveler. The room is artistically designed and had nice phone with wide screen, so nice that I want to have one for my home... and I have not found it yet in Singapore.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business