“Good location in old hutong, but terrible staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Home Inn (Beijing Beixinqiao)

Home Inn (Beijing Beixinqiao)
Ranked #1,003 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
East Lansing, Michigan
“Good location in old hutong, but terrible staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

After staying at this hotel for 3 months (May-August), we had both good and bad experiences with the Home Inn.

The Room Itself:
*The bed was large, but firm. Typical for China. It was comfortable after we were used to it. The bedding was fluffy and soft.
*The room was large and had a nice desk area with desktop computer overlooking the window with a view facing the Hutong below and the city in the distance. There was enough floor space to do some basic exercises (jump rope, push ups, etc) since we were there for so long and we didn't want to exercise in the pollution.
*The bathroom was a decent size with a large shower. The shower floor was VERY slippery.

The Staff:
*The housekeeping staff couldn't understand why we didn't want our room cleaned everyday, even though we were using the room as an apartment instead of a temporary living space. It took some heated arguing by my husband in Chinese for them to finally cut back to cleaning our room once a week.
*The front desk was accommodating and loaned us umbrellas on many occasions. They were terrible, however, about quieting other rooms down. We had multiple occasions when small children visiting the hotel for the weekend were running through the hall screaming their heads off. We called the front desk, they assured us that they would ask them to be quiet, but nothing ever changed.
*The hotel staff itself had some sort of agreement with the prostitute services in the city since we had a stack of cards shoved under our door each night and a phone call at least a few days a week. If my husband answered, they asked if he wanted "services," but if I answered, they hung up. This was very annoying and I wish that the hotel would do something about it.
*Some sort of construction was going on in the hotel while we were there and the dust was terrible. I was sick for weeks while it was going on.

The Location:
*We loved the location in an old hutong because we met many locals! The hotel is also conveniently located between the Beixinqiao and Zhangzizhonglu stations on line 5. It's very close to Guijie Street, Yonghegong Lama Temple, Forbidden City, and many great restaurants and shops.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

It was a rather small room but I could live with that, loved the location adjacent to hutong areas, but a major problem was I was eaten alive by what turned out to be bed bugs. I had big welts all over my body for the next week. How do I know it was this hotel? Well I returned back to my apartment in another city where I had never had any such problems before and haven't since.

Room Tip: avoid because of these problems
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Are you looking for a hotel with common ammenities such as an elevator and a window to the outside? Perhaps this is not a good place for you. I was lucky and got a second floor room so I only had to carry my suitcases up two flights. The window was funny. I went to open it for some fresh air and when I pulled the curtain back, I was looking at people in the hallway. Too funny. The staff honestly tried to help despite not speaking English. The one drawback of this place (and all other Home Inns that I have stayed in) is the escort cards slipped under your door. I even caught the guy doing it, pointed at my door number, and said "Bu!". The hotel staff don't care and don't dissuade them. The cards kept coming (they aren't even that good-looking).
Oh, one of the two bottles was open and resealed (didn't drink it) and the hotel fan only makes noise (came out of my shower to a cloud of mist).
Beds are very hard. I think Home Inns is a shareholder in the local pharmaceutical industry for lower back pain.
Anyways, If you travel with a light bag and don't need a view, or outside air, this place would be adequate. I have stayed in PLENTY of Home Inns and had better rooms (for example, Shenzhen Futian district). "Average" for this place, and I'm not that picky.
-Mike (Canada)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Excellent location/easy subway travel to Tianamen Square/Forbidden City/Lama Temple etc! Easy to find by walking from Beixinqiao subway stop. Also, located near the entrance of a quiet, peaceful hutong. In the morning take a stroll down the alley and find a busy local market alley at the end. Also, it is worth eating at the little restaurant across the alley from the hotel- excellent food, picture menu, very reasonable price. Also, hotel staff are very friendly and accomodating. If you come having learned some basic and necessary Chinese, the staff make a big effort to understand your needs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo