Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$201
Prime Hotel(Beijing)
$120
$94
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I have stayed in this apartment hotel on many occasions. In August we were taking our neighbours on a trip around China and began our tour in Beijing. The Somerset Zhongguancun was the obvious choice and did not disappoint. We shared two bedroom apartments and had comfort, space and opportunity for the seven of us to gather, plan and enjoy sharing our experiences in comfortable living rooms.

The location is good because it is so near the excellent and very inexpensive Beijing subway system. It is also in the high tech and university district of Beijing. The staff are helpful, professional and very competent. The facilities and furnishings are well maintained but are beginning to show their age.

We look forward to returning to this hotel when we are next in Beijing. It continues to be a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris-AU2011
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was my 2nd stay in Somerset. This time I took my wife and 1 year old daughter with me. I have to admit that this place is worth every penny, especially when you are staying there with the family. You are getting a whole apartment with the separate bedroom and a kitchen. The swimming pool and playground are great. I don't understand why they are so few foreigners staying in this hotel. Even though it is not located in the city centere I think it is one of the best location in Beijing, even for sightseeing. It is just a minute walk from from the underground station; it up north, so close to Summer Palace, Olympic Village, Great Wall and the Zoo. Not a ling ride to the Forbidden City. The only long journey is to the Silk Market. Pity that they still don't have city plan for tourists as they do in other hotels in Beijing. In general the service is great, so minor difficulties happen but they take your feedback seriously.
Last time I reported that the internet access is a nightmare, this time I think that it has improved, but still in the evenings it is unworkable. If you need to connect from the hotel to work with people in Europe or US you can forget about it in the hotel room.
I'll definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bartos999
cindyli2012, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Somerset ZhongGuanCun Serviced Residence. We are so happy to know that you had a very comforatble and enjoyable stay with us this time and we are always keen to make improvements to enhance our guests’ overall stay at our properties so we value your every points about your feedback for us. I have noted your observations and recommendation for improvements to the broadband service, Please be assured that I will coordinate the plans for these enhancements with the respective team members. It will always be your second home either for travel or work here. we are looking forward to welcoming you at any time.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I was on a 2-week study trip in Beijing in the month of July, and stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment

Somerset zhongguancun is within 5-10 mins walking distance to the SuZhouJie (rough pin yin) train station. On the way to the station towards the right hand side you can see a local supermarket that sells groceries, fruits and vegetables. Carrefour is at the South Haidian (rough pin yin) station. It's about 20mins walk from the service apartment, imbedded among the high towers.

If you are travelling on leisure to Beijing I strongly encourage you to apply for a transport card (can get from exit A in Suzhoujie station. The public transport in Beijing is subsidized and relatively cheaper than other cities in china. The transport system is well developed within Beijing. However, do not top up your card with too much money since the refund station is not easily available. Each train trip is about RMB2, and my journey to the university (3 busstations away) costs only Rmb0.80 per trip after discount. The buses have their special lanes and I find them efficient.

The staff in somerset is friendly and their response to your request is fast. I like the heated swimming pool. Even though somerset does not require you to wear a swimming hat while swimming, do remember to bring one since it is a mandate from the Beijing central government that all swimmers in Beijing need to wear swimming hats. I was 'nagged' by the cleaner while swimming for not wearing a hat, and had bought one to stop all noises.

Breakfast is good and balanced. You can find a mix of oriental and western breakfast there.

The room is spacious, and I the cutlery is well provided. That makes cooking a joy. You can borrow a rice cooker from over the counter and the staff is very prompt to deliver what you need.

The tape water in Beijing is not drinkable. Good new is that the room has a water filter. If you need a lot of water for cooking and drinking, the best thing is to get some 4.5l mineral water from nearby supermarkets. The water filter is small and takes time to filter water once the tank is running dry.

Housekeeping wise needs improvement. Sometimes the cleaner forget to clean the cutlery though they have been placed in the wash basin. Likewise with the pans.

Wireless access is poor and not stable. Wired access is relatively better. The check out time is rather long especially if you stay in bigger apartments. They take time to count every item in the room.

Overall it is an enjoyable stay as I feel safe and secured in somerset, and can have my own home cook food every day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank KlIpaduser
cindyli2012, Owner at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also glad that you found the apartment and surroundings to your liking. Receiving such positive feedback from our guests is great motivation for us to continue improving our services. we also noticed that housekeeping service and WIFI access is not so satisfactory to you,we will arrange our team members to improve. Once again, that you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Only a short stay overnight but I found the staff to be very accommodating and the service quite prompt. The apartment was nicely furnished and use of the kitchen and laundry was well appreciated. There is a nice mall and grocery 5 minutes walking from the location and the breakfast as well as the amenities (pool gym and sauna) were adequate. I would definitely consider for a long term stay and would come again. A very good option for those working tech jobs in the Zhongguancun Silicon Valley of Beijing!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wise_Wanderer86
Yuanyuan-monica, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you very much for your compliment.

Your compliments inspire our Team to continually provide and improve the level of service that residents have come to expect.

Once again, thank you for making Somerset ZhongGuanCun one of your preferred accommodation choices. We look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

The hotel is very nice and quiet, located in a commercial district, close to a subway station. Rooms are very spacious and clean. The only problem is that this is not a hotel for tourists at all. The service attendants are not very helpful with the touristic enquirers, they don't even have a Beijing map. Otherwise the hotel is worth recommending. It is good quality for the reasonable cost.
The internet connection is extremely slow.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Bartos999
Yuanyuan-monica, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us. As your feedback concerns internet, we have shared your feedbacks with management and operator, please be assured that we will address accordingly. We sincerely apologised for the inconvenience you experienced. Warmly welcom you back and looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip in SZGC.