Location: walking distance to subway line 4 and line 10. got a supermarket and shopping mall nearby. the hotel is located in Haidian district, which is west side of Beijing. very close to Summer Palace, but far away from all other tourist spots, like forbidden city, CBD, etc. Most of expats restaurants are on the east side, Jianguo & Sanlintun. you can take a cab (approx. USD 55) or subway (RMB 2) to get there. But you travel on the rush hour, it normally takes 30-40 mins to go from west to east side of the city by car and packed in the subway. (most likely rush hour in Tokyo)
Breakfast: limited choice. juice tastes likely from cans. got milk and yogurt daily and soy milk twice a week. plain fried rice (hardly see meat or egg.) We stayed there for a month. I skipped last two weeks as I got tired about feeding myself with plain toast every morning.
Room: Reasonable size. Housekeeping service comes only 3 times a week and sometimes manage to skip vacuum the floor. But they will do it upon you request for sure. They didn't change shower curtain daily. They finally got it replaced upon my request after 3 weeks and it stink already. Besides, they only provide hotel size shampoo, conditioners, and detergent 1st day you check in and mention it is not part of the service from them during the stay. So we will have to get those from supermarket for household size. (of course, the household size is way too much for a month consumption.) A/C: they seems running saving during the night. we didn't really have a/c but vent while we sleep. We have asked the staff come and check once. It works the 1st night after he fixed but it becomes vent again rest of the month. But night in Beijing is about 23-25 degree and occasionally rains in July. So we manage to survive.
Staff: nice in general. but not very professional about good restaurants in town. You will have to grab your guide book to ask for help.
Internet: Ethernet connection is fine but wireless is horrible. I have to bring my IPAD2 outside my room to get reception. one staff told us it is the best for wireless nearby kitchen and the other staff told us it is the best for wireless in the lobby, which we were told by the other staff it is not true. Very misleading.
Child friendly: China is child friendly country. With the in room kitchen, we will be able to cook for our kids. So we will still recommend this place if you travel with kids. But it is about 10 min walking to subway station and expect 15-20 min walk with young kids/toddlers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Somerset ZhongGuanCun is in the heart of Beijing’s prime high technology zone. It is close to offices, retail malls, the Tsinghua, Renmin and Peking universities, Haidian Theatre and Medical Centre. Somerset ZhongGuanCun offers a warm and stylish home with many recreational facilities and business support services. Its one and two-bedroom apartments feature a spacious living/dining room, fully-equipped kitchen, home entertainment system and high speed broadband access. A video intercom system and 24-hour securities provide a secure living environment. Doing business at the residence is easy with the wireless internet (WiFi) zones and efficient Business Centre. Somerset ZhongGuanCun is ideal for utives and their families looking for a balanced and enriching lifestyle. Enjoy the swimming pool, gym, Jacuzzi and sauna rooms. Join in the networking gatherings, city explorations and sports activities. Experience Somerset’s signature Heartware service – always caring and striving to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your individuality and tailor the residence to your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing Hotel Beijing
- Somerset Zhongguancun Hotel Beijing