“Great retreat in a big city”

The Ritz-Carlton, Beijing
Ranked #6 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Chicago, Illinois
“Great retreat in a big city”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Our stay at the Ritz Carlton Beijing was outstanding. The rooms on the concierge/executive level are spacious, well apppointed and nicely decorated. The staff was tremendously helpful and attentive, they knew us by name by the second day. It was a great place to come back to after a long day exploring Beijing. The mall next door is very nice with good food options. Cab rides to anywhere in Beijing are very inexpensive and the staff will ensure you get where you are going. We would definitely recommend this property without hesitation. It is truly a five star and has the feel of being a boutique hotel with all of the amenities you could possibly want.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank funandrelaxation

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Don't get me wrong, the Ritz Carlton is excellent by all means. Just that I had the privilege to stay at its sister hotel JW Marriott which is connected by an underground walkway, on a separate occassion, and felt the rooms looked more spacious than the Ritz Carlton (though according to the website, the Ritz rooms measure slightly bigger). It could be due to the JW Marriott using see-through glass panels for its bathroom wall which separated the bathroom from the bedroom, giving the illusion of a bigger room.

Decor-wise, Ritz goes for a elegant Victorian feel while the Marriott is more of a modern dark chic theme.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Rex_raccoon
san diego
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Great hotel close to metro station and easy shopping next door very high end stores

Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed September 4, 2009

The room was classic Ritz style. Thought I was entering my grandmoms living room! ;-)(excpet for the bed of course)
Great bed, clean, phone with LCD screen that welcomes you personally by name (nice touch), beautiful bathroom with TV over the bath, perfect and fast laundry service,....

The bellboys speak perfect english and were very friendly. Can not always be said from 5* hotels in China.

All in all: it was a very pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I am based in Hong Kong and my job requires that I travel every week. As a result, every week, I end up in a hotel somewhere in Asia. For the most part, these hotels claim to be "5 star."

I spend a fair amount of time in Beijing, but this was the first time I had stayed at this particular Ritz Carlton. For the past 9 years, my BJ hotels of choice have varied between the Grand Hyatt (great location, but getting very tired), the St. Regis (nice, but scarily quiet since last year's renovations), the Ritz Financial Street (also 5 Star but isolated location), the Intercontinental (4 Star at best) and the China World (good, but over rated).

I was a bit hesitant to stay at the Ritz Huamao Center, as my colleagues had told me that service was sporadic and the staff were snooty. However, my company gets a terrific corporate rate there, so I thought I'd give it a try. I am so glad that I did.

Physically, this hotel really reminded me of the Ritz in Hong Kong, which was torn down last year. The rooms are done in a traditional, European style - unlike most hotels in BJ, which seem to be done in a more modern style. No need for me to comment on which is better, given that's really an issue of personal taste. However, I can say that the one bedroom suite I stayed in was absolutely gorgeous - excellent layout, bright, and in very good condition. All the requisite goodies were present - boase sound system, huge flat screen tvs (plus a bonus tv above the bath tub) , Bulgari amenities, ipod dock.....I peeked into a "regular" room and, in truth, I would have been happy with that too. Larger and more spacious than rooms at many of the other hotels in the same range. The carpet in the halls still smelled new!

I found the staff and the service to be consistently excellent. No snootiness at all. From the moment I checked in until I left two days later, I did not meet one unfriendly staff member. Special mention to the Club Floor team - in my mind, the team at the Club Lounge is one of the best ever. Again, the key was consistency - everyone was polite, friendly (in a natural, not plastic, way), discrete and enthusiastically helpful. They were also warm and helpful to the non-hotel guests that I brought up to the Lounge for meetings. Very important in a city where locals are sometimes not treated as nicely as visitors by the service industry.

Housekeeping was terrific - Here is one of the extraordinary little touches that impressed me so much.... I am allergic to down feathers, but still like the feeling of resting my head on down pillows. In order to not sneeze, I lay a towel over the pillow before I go to sleep. Although I had never stayed at this Ritz before, each night (even the first one), at turndown, the house keeper laid towels over my pillows without my ever having mentioned my preference for this. I have no idea how he/she knew - I can only surmize that the house keeper was either clairvoyant or someone from another Ritz had put a note in my profile in the chain's database. The thing is, however, that no other Ritz seemed to have bothered to read my profile because no other Ritz - not in Singapore, not in Jakarta, not in Financial Street, not in KL - has ever done this.

Others have already given positive comments on the location - I concur. The hotel is in inside an enclosed area, so it's very modern, safe and quiet. But just steps away is the CBD and, if you are travelling on business, it is very convenient to get around - either by car or by public transport. If you are a tourist, this hotel is not as convenient as some, such as the Grand Hyatt or others in the Wangfujiang area, but its still not bad.

If you don't want to eat at the hotel, there are lots of other options within a few minutes walk - from all the comfortable Western names like Fauchon and Starbucks to local street stalls around SOHO Newtown . However, I would recommend that guests eat at least one meal at Barolo. It is world class - the menu, creative, but not weirdly so . Salt encrusted rack of lamb! Ahi with truffles! Lemon Panna Cotta! The service is a little tentative, but I assume it will get better as the staff gain confidence over time.

I hate sounding like a commercial - and if you look at some of my other reviews, you will see that I am capable of complaint....but I have no complaints about the Ritz Huamao Center. My stay here was a most pleasant surprise - this hotel is the real deal and will be my new address in Beijing.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Rabidpuppy
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed at the Ritz Chaoyang for 4 nights in mid-July with my wife. We stayed in a Club room on the 15th floor, found the room quite comfortable. The size of the room is good, there is a sofa, work table, nice decor and very large bathroom. The hotel has character- if you are looking for the modern, Grand Hyatt types, ie dark brown furniture, lots of glass, then don't stay at the ritz chaoyang. the hotel feels a bit european, the drapery, the hall ways, the lighting, the bed etc however it's absolutely modern, just a year old. We were trying to decide between Ritz Fin street vs. Ritz Chaoyang and location was the final determinant. Chaoyang is close to all the sites, Tiananmen, Forbidden Palace, etc and only 1.5 hrs to the Great Wall. There are malls next to the hotel so you can get some food outside of the hotel. Only negative of the stay was room service was not tasty and subpar.

We used Peony tours through the hotel for sightseeing, very good tour guide, friendly, her name was Jane - patient, knowledgeable and explained lots of specifics. We used the hotel to arrange the Hutong tour as well, quite enjoyable especially as its outdoors and Beijing in July is very hot.

I would def recommend the Club room as u get bfast, and snacks throughout the day at the lounge. We would def stay here again when we go back to Beijing.

There is no wifi in the hotel though.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New Almaden, California
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Fine presentation is met with outstanding flavor. Rome's Chef Alexandro delivers at the Ritz-Carlton's Barolo the best Italian, and perhaps the best restaurant in all of Beijing. Our lamb chops were so tasty; the angel hair with meat sauce (special order accepted) was the best!
Manager Fabrizio makes your experience even better with top class service. A must visit for lunch or dinner.