“Truly 5 Stars”

The Ritz-Carlton, Beijing
Ranked #10 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I am based in Hong Kong and my job requires that I travel every week. As a result, every week, I end up in a hotel somewhere in Asia. For the most part, these hotels claim to be "5 star."

I spend a fair amount of time in Beijing, but this was the first time I had stayed at this particular Ritz Carlton. For the past 9 years, my BJ hotels of choice have varied between the Grand Hyatt (great location, but getting very tired), the St. Regis (nice, but scarily quiet since last year's renovations), the Ritz Financial Street (also 5 Star but isolated location), the Intercontinental (4 Star at best) and the China World (good, but over rated).

I was a bit hesitant to stay at the Ritz Huamao Center, as my colleagues had told me that service was sporadic and the staff were snooty. However, my company gets a terrific corporate rate there, so I thought I'd give it a try. I am so glad that I did.

Physically, this hotel really reminded me of the Ritz in Hong Kong, which was torn down last year. The rooms are done in a traditional, European style - unlike most hotels in BJ, which seem to be done in a more modern style. No need for me to comment on which is better, given that's really an issue of personal taste. However, I can say that the one bedroom suite I stayed in was absolutely gorgeous - excellent layout, bright, and in very good condition. All the requisite goodies were present - boase sound system, huge flat screen tvs (plus a bonus tv above the bath tub) , Bulgari amenities, ipod dock.....I peeked into a "regular" room and, in truth, I would have been happy with that too. Larger and more spacious than rooms at many of the other hotels in the same range. The carpet in the halls still smelled new!

I found the staff and the service to be consistently excellent. No snootiness at all. From the moment I checked in until I left two days later, I did not meet one unfriendly staff member. Special mention to the Club Floor team - in my mind, the team at the Club Lounge is one of the best ever. Again, the key was consistency - everyone was polite, friendly (in a natural, not plastic, way), discrete and enthusiastically helpful. They were also warm and helpful to the non-hotel guests that I brought up to the Lounge for meetings. Very important in a city where locals are sometimes not treated as nicely as visitors by the service industry.

Housekeeping was terrific - Here is one of the extraordinary little touches that impressed me so much.... I am allergic to down feathers, but still like the feeling of resting my head on down pillows. In order to not sneeze, I lay a towel over the pillow before I go to sleep. Although I had never stayed at this Ritz before, each night (even the first one), at turndown, the house keeper laid towels over my pillows without my ever having mentioned my preference for this. I have no idea how he/she knew - I can only surmize that the house keeper was either clairvoyant or someone from another Ritz had put a note in my profile in the chain's database. The thing is, however, that no other Ritz seemed to have bothered to read my profile because no other Ritz - not in Singapore, not in Jakarta, not in Financial Street, not in KL - has ever done this.

Others have already given positive comments on the location - I concur. The hotel is in inside an enclosed area, so it's very modern, safe and quiet. But just steps away is the CBD and, if you are travelling on business, it is very convenient to get around - either by car or by public transport. If you are a tourist, this hotel is not as convenient as some, such as the Grand Hyatt or others in the Wangfujiang area, but its still not bad.

If you don't want to eat at the hotel, there are lots of other options within a few minutes walk - from all the comfortable Western names like Fauchon and Starbucks to local street stalls around SOHO Newtown . However, I would recommend that guests eat at least one meal at Barolo. It is world class - the menu, creative, but not weirdly so . Salt encrusted rack of lamb! Ahi with truffles! Lemon Panna Cotta! The service is a little tentative, but I assume it will get better as the staff gain confidence over time.

I hate sounding like a commercial - and if you look at some of my other reviews, you will see that I am capable of complaint....but I have no complaints about the Ritz Huamao Center. My stay here was a most pleasant surprise - this hotel is the real deal and will be my new address in Beijing.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Rabidpuppy
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Beijing

Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed at the Ritz Chaoyang for 4 nights in mid-July with my wife. We stayed in a Club room on the 15th floor, found the room quite comfortable. The size of the room is good, there is a sofa, work table, nice decor and very large bathroom. The hotel has character- if you are looking for the modern, Grand Hyatt types, ie dark brown furniture, lots of glass, then don't stay at the ritz chaoyang. the hotel feels a bit european, the drapery, the hall ways, the lighting, the bed etc however it's absolutely modern, just a year old. We were trying to decide between Ritz Fin street vs. Ritz Chaoyang and location was the final determinant. Chaoyang is close to all the sites, Tiananmen, Forbidden Palace, etc and only 1.5 hrs to the Great Wall. There are malls next to the hotel so you can get some food outside of the hotel. Only negative of the stay was room service was not tasty and subpar.

We used Peony tours through the hotel for sightseeing, very good tour guide, friendly, her name was Jane - patient, knowledgeable and explained lots of specifics. We used the hotel to arrange the Hutong tour as well, quite enjoyable especially as its outdoors and Beijing in July is very hot.

I would def recommend the Club room as u get bfast, and snacks throughout the day at the lounge. We would def stay here again when we go back to Beijing.

There is no wifi in the hotel though.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Fine presentation is met with outstanding flavor. Rome's Chef Alexandro delivers at the Ritz-Carlton's Barolo the best Italian, and perhaps the best restaurant in all of Beijing. Our lamb chops were so tasty; the angel hair with meat sauce (special order accepted) was the best!
Manager Fabrizio makes your experience even better with top class service. A must visit for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed April 12, 2009

What made this property so special was the excellent service displayed by Zoe Zhou and her staff at the Club Level "Club" at the Ritz. It was also nice to see the General Manager greeting people in the Lobby. Everyone in general at the Ritz displayed their eagerness and willingness to assist all guests with a smile. The room and the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was huge. There were only a few things that needed improvement from a rooms perspective: the hot water took some time to kick in, the bathroom goodies were generic (not Bulgari) and you can see some wear on the plaster and chairs already. The location was actually not too bad either. You have 2 Starbucks locations, (pricier than US drinks) right outside your door, the JW Marriott was practically attached to the Ritz , Wal-Mart was a 15 minute walk (a zoo!), Shin Kong Place (high-end mall with food court & grocery) and the subway (Line 1- Dawanglu stop) was also right in the immediate vicinity. However, we pretty much took cabs everyone since it was so inexpensive.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed at the Ritz for 8 nights and loved everything about it.We stayed on the club level and were treated like family by all the club level employees. The continual Culinary offerings were fantastic,we had hard time venturing out to explore Beijing restaurants,but when we did the staff had great recommendations. The room was spacious and comfortable. All the hotel amenities were flawless. All the city sites are a quick cab ride or a few subway stops away. I would look at no other hotels when staying in Beijing.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2009

Spent Christmas in Beijing. The hotel from an interiors angle, was as you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Although a much more compact version, in terms of lobby and reception. Rooms were spacious enough with a nice sofa built in and plenty of storage space. Certainly enough room to swing a cat as they say. Bathroom were big too. Seperate shower and bath and toilet. All glass partitioned, so may be abit odd if both needs to use one or the other together. His and hers sink.

In terms of service, the team were pleasant and efficient enough. Our bookings for tours were dealt with very well. General inquires were met. However, one thing that needs to be improved is the comprehension of English. Sometimes errors do occur because of that. But that only happens with a few of the team. Not all.

The breakfast spread was good, with some nice selection of western and asian. Though the asian food seems to come up lacking in one way or another. (I found that this pretty much applies to all hotels. Just something missing.....)
One thing which was quite odd was how the staff at the resturant started to clean the area exactly 10.30am on the dot, when people were still eating. They were making all sorts of noises, with plates clanging and cutlery banging and napkins just thrown around. I believe at one stage they even used a 'used' napkin to wipe the tables ! Not something to look forward to when tucking into your food. It really felt quite 'unprofessional', pulling down what is meant to be a 5 star hotel and again this area needs some more training. Actually alot more.

Overall, a nice hotel but needs improvements. Would have got a 'Very Good', but because of the negatives, an 'Average' Close to the Metro and some expensive shops around the area.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Although we traveled in April, I am finally getting around to posting about our China trip. Normally, we prefer to venture on our own, but for China we decided to take an organized tour. After a lot of research, we chose the Pacific Delight tour company- the 13 Day Golden Route Gold Experience (Beijing, Shanghai, Xi’an, Guilin, and Hong Kong). We chose this company based on the small group size and the upgraded hotels. And what a fabulous time we had. The tour was great- there were only twelve people in our group and our guide was efficient and knowledgeable.

In Beijing, we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Beijing for three nights. Since it was April, we benefited a lot from the build-up/clean-up for the Olympics, without the crowds. :-) Ha. The hotel had only been open for a few months, was beautifully appointed and oh so clean and shiny. It’s located very close to a high-end shopping mall and, for die-hard Starbucks fans, there is one located steps away from the hotel. After check in, since we had just spent 17 hours travelling, we were pretty tired. So we took a walk through the mall and ate dinner in one of the nice restaurants there. We made a good choice and were pretty pleased with our first meal in China. Unfortunately, the hotel seemed pretty far away from the other places we wanted to go to in Beijing, making it kind of inconvenient to just hop in a taxi to explore for a short period of time.

The rooms were spacious and the beds, pillows, and linens were very comfortable. This became important, since my body decided not to sleep a full night for my entire stay. I was able to lie comfortably and watch tv, which was a nice-sized flat screen. The bathrooms were also very big. We did have one small glitch with the bathroom. The shower was glass-enclosed, separating it from the toilet, which was also glass-enclosed. When we would shower, the water would seep into the toilet area. We had to roll up a towel and lay it along the bottom so that the toilet area did not flood. Other than that, our room was perfect.

Housekeeping was very attentive. We called for transformers and they were there within three minutes. A second call for plug adapters had the same quick response. The hotel was absolutely beautiful, and the rest of the staff we encountered were polite and provided superb customer service.

One of our favorite places in a hotel when we are on vacation is the hotel bar. We always have a cocktail or two at the end of the night to wind down and recap the day. Although, Beijing is relatively inexpensive, we were at the Ritz and paid Ritz prices. The bar/lounge was very comfortable, with several types of seating arrangements. They provide nibblers to go along with your drinks, played different music each night, and the bar staff was very attentive without being obtrusive.

We did not spend too much time at the hotel, but our Peking Duck dinner was scheduled there. The food was delicious, but the service was kind of confused. In the end, all was well. I attribute that to the newness of the hotel and them still working out a couple of the kinks. Breakfasts were large buffets that were elaborate, multi-cultural and pretty satisfying. The same for the other dinner buffet. As with any buffet, there were some foods that were much better than others. But, it allowed you to try different types of foods, without completely committing.

What we did in Beijing: Tiananmen Square; Forbidden City’s Imperial Palace with jewelry section; Summer Palace; Beijing Duck dinner party; The Great Wall; Cloisonné Factory; Hutong tour via pedicab; Drum Tower; visit with local Siheyuan family; Temple of Heaven.

Our favorite was the awesomeness of the Great Wall.

The least favorite: the peddlers- they are everywhere and will swarm around you (even on the Great Wall). If you ignore them, they won’t bug you as much. However, we had a couple who bought from everyone and peddlers were relentless. The traffic is crazy. We had great bus drivers, but even they got into situations that would make your hair stand on end. And many of the places we went to were just opportunities for them to sell something (cloisonné, local family visit).

• Stayed: April 2008