New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$141
$138
$247
Hotels.com
3,079 results
All reviewsjinbao towerforbidden citygreat hotelclub roomsubway stationwalking distanceminute walknight marketexit cexcellent locationbreakfast and happy hourconcierge staffbreakfast buffetan upgradestayed here for nightscentral locationtaxi driver
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Pros: Beautiful hotel. It’s what you would expect from any nice western hotel. Comfortable rooms with comfy beds. Rooms even come with plush sitting chair plus ottoman. TV has all your cable channels including HBO and other movie channels. Buffet breakfast (included in our package) was great. Good selection of Asian foods like Chinese vegetables, baked chicken, and sushi (even for breakfast). They also had a great selection of hearty western foods, which did change daily, like pancakes/French toast/waffles, potato wedges/scallop potatoes/hash browns, and scrambled/poached/hard boiled eggs. I opted for the made-to-order egg station. Dengshikou subway station is located at the entrance of the Regent Hotel, which is right in front of Park Plaza. Also, they have a variety of international plugs. So, no need to buy extra converters. (See attached picture.)

Cons: Hotel has a habit of giving up your room, even if you pay for it in advance, if you check in later in the evening. We were upgraded to a larger room w/ two twin beds the first night. There are temperature controls in the room, but they don’t seem to work. We increased our thermostat to 30C, yet the room was still freezing. My husband and I ended up squeezing into one twin bed to stay warm. It’s nice that they “upgraded” us, but it still doesn’t make up for living out of your suitcase the first night b/c you know you’ll have to pack the next day nor does it make up for finding the time the next day to pack your bags, move to another room, and unpack again. The next day when we were changing rooms, another guest was complaining that their room was not ready or available. I didn’t get the details of her complaint, but did see a pattern with the hotel reservations.

Tips: (1) Print out your own map using Google or some other program to show the cabbies. The map offered on the hotel’s website as well as the business card maps provided at the hotel for cabs both use 6 point font for the Chinese characters. Most of the cab drivers have trouble seeing this, hold the card far from their face to focus, and get all grumpy, which doesn’t help you, especially if you don’t speak Mandarin. See for yourself. Here’s the link to the hotel’s website map: http://www.parkplazadestinationguide.com/locationMap.process/OID_E7F6C665/?hotelCode=CHNBWAN. (2) Following another reviewer’s advice, the hotel’s Chinese name is “Li Ting.” If the cabbies say “Li Jing,” it’s for the Regent, which will also get you to the same block. Once there, just keep repeating “Li Ting, Li Ting” and they’ll eventually see the signs for Park Plaza. (3) Ask for a room facing the courtyard. The courtyard is actually the main entrance, quiet, gorgeous, and overlooks the Regent’s lobby. The street side has a cool view of a local hutong, but all the construction that goes on here seems to dispose their materials in a truck located right outside the hotel starting at 6AM. It’s very loud. Thank goodness we had to get up at 6 for our plans that day. Then, we were moved to our real room. (4) If your flight arrives late in the evening, consider calling in advance to confirm you will be checking in later that night. Even though we paid for the room weeks ago, it didn’t guarantee our room was available.

Even though I’m only giving it 4 out of 5 stars, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed here on for a couple of nights while traveling on business. Its in a good location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfy. Best of all it was a good deal!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank EduTravel
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Great Hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

My room was large, well cleaned. No complaints at all.

I'd say it was very central, but then Beijing is such a massive city that I'd have to question "what is central?"

The Park Plaza is near a lot of other western hotels, and "only" three blocks away (20min walk) from the Wangfujing shopping mall (a street closed to road traffic) which has the usual souvenier shops, along with chinese food markets, McDonalds & KFC; and a very modern western-style airconditioned shopping mall running alongside the street mall. Having these things (shopping & cheap food) nearby is always an important consideration for me when selecting a hotel.

There were closer hotels, however most would have been outside my price range.

The hotel is within walking distance to some of the more central attractions such as the Forbidden City, however I didn't personally walk to any attractions as I had a guide & transport. However it's also importrant to note that you can't pick a hotel central to everything in Beikjing, as many of the attractions are so far apart.

The cost of the in-house food was a little expensive (eg AUD30 for breakfast, and AUD50+ at night), however that's to be expected in a 4star hotel when you want the conveniences of home.

Naturally each person's "Value" rating relates to what they paid. I was very happy with my rate. I believe I got a "4 nights for the price of 3" style promotion.

Overall: a great hotel. I don't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed 6 nites at this hotel in Beijing starting on Oct 2nd, 2009.
This hotel is superb! Rooms, food, and service all exceeded expectations. The staff, especially the concierge staff, was amazingly helpful! We have stayed in hotels in 23 countries and on 5 continents and would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is located very close to all the major sites. Short walk to the Night Market, maybe 10 minutes. Short cab ride to other destinations. Starbucks is a 2 minute walk out the lobby door. Room service is fast, good, and inexpensive. Cable TV, all amenities you need. We highly recommend this hotel !!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed for 5 nights. The place was clean and staff very accommodating. The breakfast buffet was good. Would recommend for families and business travel.

If your Canon camera breaks down the repair shop is in the next building. They fixed our camera overnight.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends