“Surprisingly great find”

Park Plaza Wangfujing
Ranked #33 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Travelling with children can be a challenge, so it's a huge bonus to find a hotel that both accepts and welcomes them, while maintaining high standards for all their guests. Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing ticks all the boxes - luxurious, great value, well located and the service is excellent. I chose to stay in one room with my 3 children, and requested an extra bed. The room I was given was spacious even with the additional bed, and for the first time in 12 years of travel with kids I was brought additional towel and water bottle for each of us. Bliss. We walked to dinner with plenty of choices given by concierge, we caught the metro from the railway and found the hotel virtually on top of the metro station, and we walked to Tiannamen Square in around 20 mins. Faultless - I would stay here again, with kids or without.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,994)

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is a simply excellent hotel. Its not super flash or luxurious but the service is wonderful - and its clean, big and comfy.

We arrived after a long flight and were greeted with Jasmine tea and a smile plus a quick and effective check in. We were offered the upgrade and went with it - YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME! It added just over £100 to our bill but we got a club room, a free pass to 'Happy Hour' - which has unlimited wine, spirits and mixers, a selection of hot drinks, snacks, salad and cakes served on floor two in the lovely restaurant area, PLUS breakfast (which was amazing - try the dumpling soup!) and also late check out AS WELL AS free tea, coffee, water and soft drinks at any time throughout the day on the 15th floor. Bloody good value if you ask me.

The hotel is a 15 minute walk from Wangfujing street with lots of shops and a great shopping centre called APM to explore. You can easily walk to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City within around 20 minutes or so….but the staff at the hotel will be more then happy to book you and taxi and help the driver understand where you want to go.

There is a starbucks across the road - but be aware of people with superb English approaching you as you walk into town saying they will walk with you and practice their English with you. Its a scam and they want you to visit some art shop - be polite but firm in saying no!

The nearest subway station is literally around the corner and its only 20p a ride to any destination on the lines. Cheap, quick and clean. We used it all the time to explore all over the city and cannot recommend it highly enough.

All in all we had a wonderful stay here and would highly recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy_Lea_10
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Me and my family arrived here at night, this was my parents and my brother first trip to Beijing so i really want to make them enjoy this family holiday. And the hotel really really help it. The lady at reception desk, Jessica greet me and my family. We booked two rooms here and she offer an upgrade for one room. Because i cant decide it, she offers to show us the room that we booked and the room that she offer. I take the upgrade for one room with breakfast for 3 persons.
The bellboy Nicholas help us with our luggage and info about dining around the hotel area because its already 22.00 local time and lots of place already closed. Both of them speak very good english and smile all the time. Really make us comfortable.
The room is great, so comfy and clean. I ask for more body lotion because the weather make our skins dry, in 5 minutes a guy come to our room with more body lotion and bottle of water. I ask the guy about the water, but he didnt speak english. So i ask him using mandarin and he said the water is free of charge, this is really shocked me. We just arrived but the service is really awesome.
The front door guy named Jin Zhou is really a good guy, he smile a lot and always greet us with "hi, ni hao or good morning"everytime we meet. He didnt speak english well, but talk a lot using mandarin.
All the staff in the hotel are friendly but i cant remember all their names, always try to greet us and help us when we ask about something.
About the breakfast, its always the same menu. We got bored in the third morning. But the taste still ok.
I met a man from Australia in the breakfast area, he said he enjoy his stay at the hotels. I also talked to a man from UK that come to Beijing for the first time to visit her daughter, he also enjoy his stay and said how friendly is the hotel staff.

The hotel location is about 10-15mnts walk to Wangfujing shopping area. There is another hotel that more close to it, but i'm not sure the hotel staff will be friendly like Park Plaza staff. I visit my friend in Sunworld Dynasty hotel, the staff there not as great as Park Plaza staff. No greet when we enter the lobby, no smiles.

I definitely will stay at this hotel again next time when go to Beijing. Park Plaza Wangfuijing maybe a 4star hotel, but they got 5star service.

I see that hotel management reply some messages here, so please help me to say my greet for Jessica, Nicholas and Jin Zhou. From a Indonesian guy that use glasses ;)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HuiTaiLang69
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was our first trip to China and the hotel made all the difference! Service was excellent! The concierge is top flight and helped with all our questions from finding the right tours to locating new dog clippers. We arrived very late and the airport pick up was a very welcome site and well worth the money. Very quick ride into the city and a friendly welcome at the front desk. Yes, do the upgrade--it's well worth the money as many other reviews have mentioned.
Cabs are the way to go in this city if you have limited time as we did--the hotel will send them on the way with a note on the location and what your looking for. Cabs are inexpensive and give you a real feel for the expanse and diversity of this city. The hotel is in a perfect spot--minutes walk from major shopping and the local houtongs. It's hidden behind a very large Regent hotel just off the main street so it's quiet and more private.
Peking Duck at Dadong is a must--just across the main street from the hotel in one of the many upscale malls. The restaurant walls are full of awards and after dinning there you will know why.
Mei Zhou Dong Po, apparently a chain as there are many locations-- about a 10 minute walk from the hotel is excellent, inexpensive and very large portions. Most of these restaurant close at 10:00 PM so be sure you are inside before 9:30 as they stop seating then.
Great Wall tour the hotel can schedule. Get a good tour director and a private car or van you if you don't' want to be included in the huge bus tours. Muitanyu entrance is not so crowded be it a bit farther drive from the city, it's worth it.
I would recommend this hotel highly and will stay there again on our next visit to Beijing.

Room Tip: The upgrade is worth the money! Room are lovely, clean and a better view on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marie w
Reviewed April 1, 2014

value for money . Excelent location and facilities. Help full reception / concierge . had a pleasant stay . Near Beijing atractions . Starbucks just crossing the street.after complainn about A/C were trasnferred to a smaller room but with working A/C.Quick management response

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Reading the previous posting by kmacd7, the writer was presumably unaware that the Park Plaza chain internationally is a budget 4 star range of hotels owned by the Carlson Group, which also includes Radisson hotels.

This Park Plaza is certainly not big, bold, breathtaking or decorated in stunning style, but it does perfectly well as an impeccably clean and comfortable 4 star hotel, offering very good value to either business travellers, or value conscious independent travellers. Location wise, it is tucked discretely behind the much larger (and more flashy) Regent Hotel in the Dongcheng district of central Beijing, a couple of blocks away from the very famous Wangfujing Pedestrian shopping street.
The hotel is particularly well located to the Beijing Metro, being built on top of the Dengshikou metro station (灯市口站), and with the station entrance only a minute’s walk from the rear entrance of the hotel.

I have stayed here the last two times that I have visited Beijing on business. Both times I had booked a basic room online for about 680RMB per night, and at check-in was offered an upgrade package that included a high floor executive room, executive club lounge privileges (including complimentary evening drinks and rather repetitious hors d'oeuvres), complimentary suit pressing, and meeting room use, for the same price as adding the hotel’s breakfast each morning (about additional 150RMB). The number of people enjoying the complimentary evening drinks each night indicated that plenty of other hotel guests had also thought that this sounded like a good deal.

The lounge on the ground floor is spacious and comfortable, as is the executive lounge on 14th floor. I found all of the staff in the hotel to be particularly helpful and attentive – particularly the women working in the executive lounge.

The bedroom was very comfortable and well outfitted.
Directly outside the hotel is a small hutong area that is interesting for a walk early in the morning. There is a Starbucks Coffee directly opposite the entrance to the hotel, and about 2 blocks away at the northern end of the Wangfujing Da Jie Pedestrian Street is the Donghuamen Street night food market (东华门), probably the most iconic streetfood market in Beijing and a must-one evening. At the opposite, southern end of Wangfujing, above the Wangfujing Metro Station, is the Oriental Plaza shopping mall – a very extensive shopping mall full of high street brands and a particularly good Food Court on the lower floors. In some narrow hutongs on the western side of Wangfujing is a night food market selling all manner of creepy-crawly delicacies - not for the squeamish stomach!

One note of warning of you are visiting the Wangfujing Da Jie Pedestrian street or Donghuamen nightfood market. Beware of the young women with excellent English who approach and befriend you on Wangujing street, inviting you to visit a teahouse or art gallery for English conversation. This is a well-oiled scam that ends up costing you a lot of money. Have nothing to do with them.

Room Tip: Ask about discounted upgrade to executive
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Brett M
Helen H, Manager at Park Plaza Wangfujing, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you very much for taking so much of your time to share your detailed knowledge about the hotel, and given these valuable travel Tips. For sure most travelers will be benefit from this review. We will continuously analyze what we can improve for the better from your detailed feedback, it always pleasure to get someone from the outside to give us their opinion too. Thank you again for your feedback we excited to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon once again when you return to Beijing!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was our last stay of our 2 week family trip to China. Having stayed at The Langham in Hong Kong. Sofitel in Guangzhou. Shangri La in Guilin. - I thought that this hotel would be comparable based on the 4 star rating ( misguided )
When one thinks of " Park Plaza" - one thinks of New York Luxury. Don't be fooled by the name .

The décor was basic, The colours were orange and brown in our room.
I did complain to the front desk, regarding my disappointment and I did get an upgrade :however, the room was only a larger version of the same.

We were there in March 2013. The hotel was freezing cold and we needed to wear our coats for breakfast - as did the other guests. At night, we wore most of our clothes to bed. A heater was eventually brought up to our room.

I was embarrassed by this hotel choice - since I was responsible for the trip.

On an earlier trip I booked this hotel.
However, upon arrival, it was sold out and I was moved to the sister hotel- which I was told was comparable. ( It was fabulous ) . So I booked the Park Plaza again, only to learn it was not fabulous.

I would rank it as 3 star. ONLY
and NEVER go back

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us on your recent stay with Park Plaza. We were sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing rated as a four star international hotel; however it is our pleasure to be compared with these five star hotels you have mentioned. We opened in 2005 as one of the properties being developed to host the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Positive guest reviews on this site will attest that Park Plaza is a modern and well maintained trendy hotel. About the heating issue you have mentioned, we have provided an in room letter to our guest which explains that the heating provided by the municipality of Beijing and in the absence of full heating, hotel provides ample blankets and heaters for guests who have the requirement. We are sorry to learn that this did not make a difference during your visit. Again thank you for your comment and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again soon.