“Friendly Hotel”

Xijiao Hotel Beijing
Ranked #445 of 6,550 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed January 10, 2011

This hotel is a bit out of the way in the University area, our family with 2 young kids (11 & 8) tag along on my husband's business trip and the hotel accommodation was arranged by my husband local contact. There is no real "Non smoking" room in China, but if you end up with a room that is too smelly, the hotel would glady has the staff performs a "De -smoking treatment", meaning spraying lots of air fresherner to your room, which we ended up has to do to one of the 2 rooms. My grils initially was very excited about the on site bowling alley, but gave up the idea when they realized how smoky the place was. But they were happy with the heated in door swimming pool. The hotel staff was very friendly and efficient (I think it helps that I speak Mandarin), the breakfast, while limited in selections, was decent, there were 2 apas on site, I could go for message late at night without even leaving our building. There were 5 or 6 restuarants to choose from, including an excellent seafood restuarant, we also tried the cafe and the hot pot place, we also ventured out one night and tried one of the many Korea/Japanese restuarants right by the hotel entrance. We will go back, but definitely stay at building 9, where the executive bedrooms are located.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed September 27, 2010

I stayed in a standard room. Bed was very hard (which is typical in China). The hotel was quiet and it was very easy to get plenty of sleep. The location was great since it was near the train station. It is also very easy to get a cab from the hotel entrance. The staff were very friendly and helped us get anything we needed. I saw the upgraded rooms and they all looked much more plush and comfy but we stayed on budget.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2010

This hotel is typical chinese hotel. Dim lighting, funishings all wearing. Cigarette burnt and worn carpet.

Rooms are small, price is high. Breakfast mediocre, but fresh egg station. I booked bldg 3. Bldg 2 was cheaper but I was a bit worried it would be crap. Pictures on website are accurate, but think worn after 3-5 years.

Checked in a 2:45, but check in is at 2, said no rooms available.

I asked for non-smoking but they just sprayed the room w/ lysol and took away the ask tray. Taking away the ask tray makes a room non-smoking?? Ridiculous. i woke up in the morning with a sore throat and now I'm sick, terrible.

AC temp cannot be adjusted, just high med low settings, but smelled of cigarette air through the vents. Free internet but no-wifi.

Location down an alley near Wudaokou station, probably 5-10 min walk. Convenient for Wudaukou, but otherwise stay away from this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Christopher T
Reviewed December 19, 2009

I stayed here for a conference and was lucky enough to have investigated the hotel first online. When I was asked about which room I preferred, I said "Executive, building 9." Best choice I ever made. For only about 30 USD more than the run-of-house room (and still WAY under our limit), I got a very, very nice room with a glass table to spread out my computer and associated 'stuff.' I was able to get a lot of work done during the time I was not in meetings. Ergonomically perfect for me. The food at the many restaurants was first class. Location was just OK, but taxi rides were very cheap everywhere. I would come back here, yes and look forward to it. Thanks, Beijing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Stayed 4 nights in "building 2". Room simple but cheap, clean and adequate - bed, desk, chair, internet, shower / toilet. Not fancy but that doesn't bother me. Only surprise was the cleaner coming in at 8.30am (she did knock first!) - use the "do not disturb" sign if you want to sleep in. Front desk pretty good and spoke adequate English. Easy to miss if you don't know where it is - down a sidestreet. Didn't really investigate the neighbourhood or hotel's other facilities.

Convenient for Tsinghua (about 20 minutes' walk to East gate). WuDaoKou subway station about 10 minutes' walk - can get to airport express quite easily (but takes a while along line 13) and also into town. There is an airport bus that can drop you nearby if you know where to get off, but I wouldn't fancy that unless I was sure!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Reliable personnel, relaxing and quiet environment, all taxis in Beijing know this hotel. Although it is not in a central position, I still recommend it for the clean rooms and prices that are attractive compared with service and quality provided.

• Stayed: June 2009