“great location, nice rooms, awesome breakfast”
Review of Kuntai Royal Hotel

Kuntai Royal Hotel
Ranked #94 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Minneapolis
“great location, nice rooms, awesome breakfast”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here for about 6 nights on a trip to Beijing. It maybe isn't as well-known in terms of the name, so definitely bring a piece of paper with the address and name (in Chinese) if you're taking a cab from the airport. My taxi driver from the airport knew roughly the area and together we were able to find it when we turned on the street.

The reception area/lobby is very pretty. Everything went very smoothly at check-in. The room was perfectly clean and nicely appointed. There's a little desk with ethernet cord for you to plug in. The electrical outlets are such that you don't need a converter if you have American appliances (except if you have a three-pronged plug-in). Since there were two of us with two computers, we wanted wireless internet (which the rooms don't have), but we simply called down to the front desk and asked for a wireless router to be brought up which they were able to take care of quickly. We had a king-sized bed - super comfy!! The bed was amazingly comfortable as well as the pillows. The bathroom has a full size tub and a separate shower. Beautiful granite and lighting. They even give you a toothbrush and tiny toothpaste if you need it! The room has a button you can push (or light you turn on) when you don't want to be disturbed and another button if you want maid service when you leave the room. We never ran into the situation where they came knocking at our door to clean the room while we were in there, or if we were away at breakfast. I looooved that...especially since sometimes we would go down for breakfast and then come back to the room before going out.

The breakfast buffet was awesome. They have a huge variety of different things you can eat: pastries, toast, omellete station, wonton noodle soup, fried rice, stir-fry options, cereal, lox, fruit, etc. We ate so much every morning, we really hardly had to have lunch, which was great for traveling around the city, trying to figure out where to eat and when.

The location is great! You can easily take the subway anywhere. It's especially easy to get to Tianamen square - you don't even have to change lines. You can also walk to a lot of places which we did a lot - Chaoyang theater, worker's stadium, sanlitun district (although it's quite a walk), the Russian area of town. Lots of restaurants in the vicinity including a McDonald's right around the corner, a Paris Baguette bakery down the street, and lots of other little restaurants.

The only things that could be improved would be the temperature control in the room. It was usually too warm in there, even with the heat turned off or the thermostat turned to "cool.". We had to open the window a few times. Also, the concierge was not the most helpful...they had never heard of the acrobat theater which is only 2 subway stops away and is well-reviewed on trip advisor. They also don't all speak English at the concierge desk, but luckily I speak some Chinese and so did our other friend. They were able to call up the theater once we figured out how to say it in Chinese and inquire about tickets for us.

The spa is also extremely expensive - we didn't even bother trying to book any kind of massage because it was even more expensive than what I'd pay in the US. The workout room is super nice, though!!! Huge and spacious with lots of cardio and weights. The pool seemed nice but seriously, they need to post their rules. There is no instruction as to where you get a locker to use at the pool or a towel. You have to wear a swim cap to go in the pool, which is not posted anywhere. My boyfriend got yelled at for jumping in the pool without one. I got yelled at by some locker room attendant who didn't speak any English when I tried to take over a locker. She made me change back into my clothes and go to the front just to write my name down to give me the same key that I had taken. She was also watching me like a hawk when I got out of the pool and was getting my stuff out of the locker. That, alone, was a MAJOR turn-off. If you have to check out a locker at the front, you need to post that somewhere. And if people dont' know, you shouldn't yell at them and scold them. That's just rude. Other than those pool people, I would have given the hotel a better score on service.

Overall, I'm assuming this place is more of a business-type place, but we were very happy with it for our vacation needs. Just steer clear of the pool locker room and guard people. They yell at you for not knowing the rules, yet the rules are not posted anywhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leex1203

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 7, 2013

the location is quite good and close to Forbidden City (if tourist) and a lot of Bank headquarters and Government agencies (if on business). It is located right in the middle of the Russian part of Beijing. The room is good size and comfortable but no wireless (ask for a router from the reception) and the cleanliness is questionable at times.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Everything about this hotel was magnificent. The bedroom was big and wonderfully comfortable with everything you'd want and a beautiful bathroom. Staff always tried to help out even if language barriers made this difficult. The one weakness was the lack of wireless internet in the bedroom and the inability of my Windows 8 laptop to work with the wired internet. However, the speed with which an IT person came to the rescue and his willingness to find an answer, resulting in installing a wireless router in my room, was as magnificently impressive as the hotel. Great experience

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stay at this hotel every time I am in Beijing. The location is excellent. You are quite close to the Forbidden City and also the Silk Market. The values excellent and also close to the new Youtown shopping mall which has many stores and excellent restaurants.

The staff is excellent and communication in English is no problem.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank rmacphail
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in the hotel. the hotel is very nice, clean, conveniently located near a subway station, was close to most location that I went (short taxi ride).
The rooms are big, clean and relatively well equipped.
The Gym is well equipped and is open all day
Breakfast offers a good variety of western and asian food
I had great difficulty to communicate with the staff, they speak poor english.
The concierge service is poor, I asked for a recommedation for a restaurant near the hotel and they sent me to one that no longer exists.
Overall the hotel is very good, However if you expect some assistance from the staff as to getting around do not ask in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon317
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This place was of epic proportions. A grand scale everywhere, marble everywhere, just amazing.
Beijing wasn't the friendliest of places, understandably, and the taxi driver was very suspicious of me when I pointed at a faceless gray building and asked if it was a government office...
...but anyway, the rooms were huge and the service (by Chinese standards) was pretty good.

Room Tip: Again, I only used one room and it was great. Not much more I can say.