“Average business hotel”
Review of Kuntai Royal Hotel

Kuntai Royal Hotel
Ranked #101 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Nice and quiet rooms, at least on the 8th floor. No free Wifi except for those with Chinese telecom operators. Check in was time consuming - at least for my host - but I never got to know the reason. Expect 1 hr from the airport - at least. Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 17, 2012

The hotel is marked with 5*. Well, maybe, but everything is underdone. I would say, neither staff, nor management works with inspiration. They do their job like average machines, seemengly not thinking much about guests' comfort. It is about everything: front desk decided to put my interpreter and me into the same room, toiletries in the room are in short supply, just 2 teabags per day per room is maximum, breakfast is mainly Chinese, almost nothing for those who has to prefer Western food. I didn't find a swimming pool in the hotel, just a gym.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I was a bit afraid after reading some reviews, but the hotel is actually good. Rooms on the executive floor are on top quality, breakfast in the lounge was really good and without any crowd. Personnel at the reception speaks good English and is really helpful. My room was hot and couldn't turn the temperature down. I ask for help and - done! Also meeting rooms are worth to recommend. The only two weak points - staff at restaurants and bar speaks very little English and smoking is allowed everywhere incl. restaurant, so be ready to have your dinner in the cigarette smoke clouds.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Finpol
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This was my fourth stay at this hotel.

Unlike my previous stays (all in winter like this one), my room was only slightly overheated, as opposed to extremely overheated. Otherwise, my experience was similar to my previous ones, except for one new trend: on two occasions I had to return to my room somewhat late (about 10pm on a weeknight), and both times I had troubling experiences. The first time, there was a drunk stumbling around in the lobby with several friends trying to hold him up. They were all yelling loudly. When I emerged from the elevator near my room, there were four or five more drunk people lying on the floor and yelling.

On the second occasion, a woman got into the elevator with me, engaged me in small talk about the weather, and then tried to follow me into my room. She was fairly easily dissuaded, but together these incidents suggest the hotel should be paying more attention to security.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Xman_7
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Hotel is conveniently located. 4 miles from Forbidden City. Service is okay and rooms are average. At least they are clean. Staff is helpful but lack in English speaking skills

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I always stay at the Kuntai and again it didnt fail me on this trip. All staff are very friendly, speak english and nothing is too much trouble. You can`t beat the location either - everyone knows the Kuntai. Rooms are fine - the rate is fair and all round a very solid Beijing Hotel for business travellers. Would highly recommend..

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Rob N
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This is an older (mid 1990s) Chinese business hotel but seems well maintained. I stayed here one night, booked by China colleagues because it is near our offices. My room was nice and well equipped with king bed, desk, big bathroom. The weather was cold but my room was unbelievably overheated and the thermostat had no effect...I finally turned the heat totally off and left the windows open all night, and slept with no blanket and it was still way too hot. The room never cooled down even with the windows open and heat off. It was like sleeping in an oven. I woke up several times gasping for air and parched dry mouth due to the heat. My colleague said the same about her room. My room faced the back to a large apartment building....no view, unless you like viewing Chinese families watching TV, but very quiet and no traffic noise. The buffet breakfast was OK, although the breakfast room equipment and service had an institutional feel, like a hospital cafeteria. The lobby is impressive and smoky. There is a semi-enclosed shopping arcade next door with shops and restaurants where we had dinner. OK hotel but they need to fix their climate control, can't sleep in 90 degree (F) room!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business