“Average hostel with helpful staff”

Beijing Jade International Youth Hostel
Ranked #171 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Tucked down a small street, 20mins walk to Tiananmen Square and forbidden city.
No metro stations close which made otger sights quite difficult to see but good bus routes. Impossible to get a taxi!
Basic room, no wifi. Convenient laundry.

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for Beijing Jade International Youth Hostel

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Bear in mind that if you book into Jade, there are two sides to the business... the 'hostel' giving cheap accommodation to travellers and the 'hotel' giving cheap accommodation to tourists... I feel that I can comment on both as I 'hostel'ed' with my sister and her friends... and my parents 'hotel'ed' in their own room. I saw both.

Location:
Fabulous location about a five minute walk from The Forbidden City, ten minutes to Tian'an men Square and a little further to the Hutongs. About a five minute walk to the nearest subway. Lots of restaurants and nice bars locally, plus parks and open spaces. Difficult to get taxis though, so if you're planning a night out get reception to book these in advance.

Reception:
A little disorganised at times, but bear with them and they do sort everything out eventually TIC (This Is China)... English is pretty well spoken and understood, just a few other comments... if you need boarding cards printing be ready to go into the 'not so nice' internet lounge and check in, then send to one of the guys on reception using their personal e-mail address... they'll also charge to print. Safety deposit boxes are highly visible and cheap... pretty much they charge 10p (a 1 yuan coin) every time the box is opened... not for how long you have it for.

Reception is also the main 'hub' of the hotel / hostel... great for broadband (no facebook without a VPN) but e-mails and web easy to access for free and drinks available (8 yuan - 80p ish for a large chilled beer). Main lights out about 12.00 midnight when we were there, but they didn't stop you sitting there and chatting with other hostel users.

Rooms:
We had a dorm room for four. Very clean. Bunk beds. Wet room with drying rail. Hooks to hang stuff up and lockers (need your own lock) to keep the in-valuables safe. Use the safes in reception for anything high valuable like passports, iPads etc. Slept like a baby. The in-room supplies of body-wash and hand cleanser are surprisingly nice. The TV was crap, but we had a kettle for morning coffee (bring your own coffee). The beds were firm but comfortable.

Mum and Dad had a hotel room for two - on the fifth floor with a great view towards the Genealogical hospital and The Forbidden City. TIC - see above reference. Flat screen TV, bathroom with a clear door (odd but clean)... and the room was fairly spacious with a seat and a desk. It didn't cost more per head than our 'hostel' arrangement... just depends what's important to you.

Overall:
I'm normally a 5 star girl, but this worked great for us... close to the sights, clean friendly and happy... a great place to meet other travellers (but not in a traditional youth hostel way, everything happens in reception) and they could probably make more use of the space outside with more than one set of tables and chairs... but other than that a great 'bolt-hold' very near the centre of Beijing.

Room Tip: All the hostel rooms are on the lower floors, if you want to see beijing out your window, think abou...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NicLiz
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in a double room in the Jade hostel because we were on a budget. We were pleasantly surprised though. The room was nothing special but it was clean and offered everything we needed. Internet is only available in the lobby but we were lucky and got the room above the lobby so we also had a weak connection in our room.
I can't say anything about the service or the food because we didn't have any there. However, the location is very, very good. In fact, it is only a 10 minute walk to the major shopping street and about 20 minutes to the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square.

Would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: If you take the room just above the lobby you can have wifi ;)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank revolutionfrommybed
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Jade Youth Hostel had the most horrendous smell coming from separate toilet and bathroom in 423. It was easily the worst hotel / hostel I have stayed in worldwide by a very significant margin. The odour and cleanliness in this room was so poor I was unable to brush my teeth in the bathroom, as the smell made me dry retch. As a result of the dismal accommodation I choice to find additional accommodation even though I was unable to get a refund. If you want to rough it in Beijing, this is the place for you. For an extra $60 a night stay somewhere like a Crowne Plaza or Novotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Basic room
Main prob was toilet continued to get blocked and being told of for using it how a western would despite not sign or bin saying put all paper in the bin
Great location in walking distance to forbidden city and the square night markets snack street. Great dumpling stall less than 2 min walk away

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed with two friends in a triple room (room 105, 300 per night) for the weekend (fri-sun). For a reservation by telephone they only needed my name and phone number which I found surprising and worrying at the same time. Luckily we got our room, check in went smooth even though we arrived at 01.00 am. We paid in advance. I asked for a second room key(for if we wanted to split up during sightseeing), but they refused to give this which we found strange and not hospitable.
Big bottles of water were cheap at reception (5 yuan if I am not mistaking).

Room itself was fine, nothing special. In advance, I checked everywhere(under beds etc) to check for bugs, but fortunately none were found. Bathroom was stupidly designed as the shower floor area was the same height as the toilet and sick, so after just one shower the whole bathroom floor was almost a swimming pool. Bring your own toiletries! Beds were nice. No locks were provided for the bag lockers. LAN internet was free, with one cable in the room.

For breakfast we bought 10 baozi for 12 RMB at the shop on the main street(I recommend it!). Our taxi driver had some problem with finding the hostel driving from the train station (let them use their GPS system!). But eventually it took us around 1 hour to get there.
I agree with other reviews, consider this hostel for the location and not to stay in for using its services and facilities. It's just 15 min walk to Tiananmen Square and buy your breakfast/ lunch foods on the way, enough shops provide typically Chinese breakfast products. Have a little patience with the hostel staff and you will have a nice place to stay to explore Beijing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dideli S
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Room:- great. i had a 4 bed dorm to myself which was nice. serviced each day and lockers were perfect. Bed firm, but pretty good size given chinese standards

Bathroom:- No good at all. mould every where. had to hold up the shower head myself. soaps that they supplied look like have never been changed. scum everywhere.

Lobby:- nice and wifi worked 50-50

Breaky:- waste of your time

Location:- GREAT. if you are willing to brave beijing Public transport (which is pretty easy to get your head around best tip would be to grab a subway card) otherwise your sunk, taxis will not take you here. no idea where it is.

id come back if i had to/if i was on a tight budget. i have been told its normal better than what i got.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo