“rude and try to get money any way.”

Beijing Yanshan Hotel
Ranked #226 of 6,491 Hotels in Beijing
Boulder, Western Australia, Australia
“rude and try to get money any way.”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My partner and I were here in July 2013. I was disappointed with the state of the rooms. Run down, very old fashion and they were not clean, a lot of dust. I spilt a small amount deep heat on a couple of sheets which left a slightly red stain. This stain can be washed out in the washing machine as I have done it a number of times at home. The hotel forced us to pay $40US for the sheets which were old anyway. The duty manager was a female dog and would not listen to anything. All she wanted was the money. She argued with my partner who is chinese for 45 mins. I was sitting out side looking after the luggage waiting for her. I had to go and find what was happening. The duty manager ignored me and actuaally turned her back on me. A New Zealand living in Australia. We would have told them to get but they had a chinese friends credit card details and told my partner that they would take the poney off the credit card. There was no way of know if they would take more. We had to pay in the end. We had a train to catch. Do not stay here or you will end up with an etra charge and the rooms are worse than a donga or cabin in the bush.

Room Tip: do not believe everything that you see in photos. They could have a very good room and show you that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I got invited to this hotel and luckily I didn't have to pay for it. It's located far away from the tourist attractions (approx. 45 minutes by subway). They put me in the "appartments", which are cheaper but look dirty (the bathroom doesn't have a tub, and it flooded). If you're picky don't go there. The staff didn't speak English (they have the right; it's their country and they can speak any language they want, but be ready for it; the staff was super nice but had difficulties in understand). The "gym" is dirty (they had not cleaned the treadmills in years; the stationary bike is in so bad shape that you should be ready for a hard workout: it barely moves). The subway station is nearby. There's a big shopping mall 1 block away (very fancy with some restaurants) and lots of local restaurants around the corner. The breakfast ("american buffet" was horrible; the western food was not decent, and the chinese was not better). Very expensive bar (10 dollars for a cup of coffee or tea...).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GTAOttawa_Canada

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel itself is passible: rooms clean if a bit run-down, good location with a variety of restaurants and street food in the neighborhood, metro close by. The buffet breakfast is mediocre but edible, otherwise I did not eat at the hotel.

We did have a very unpleasant surprise at check-out, when we were charged the full rack rate (or "counter rate") for the room, about double what we had expected. Our reservations had been made by a Chinese partner institution, and although the front desk confirmed the lower rate for this organization, they claimed that whoever made the reservation had not specified that we should receive the lower rate, thus we were charged the highest possible rate. The hotel was "sorry" for the misunderstanding, but showed no interest in doing anything about it. We were on our way to the airport to catch a flight, and had no time to argue.

Aside from this rather profitable mistake, the hotel front desk made others: at check-in we were given a room with a different bed than what we had ordered, in a room stinking of stale tobacco smoke, and on a floor which appeared to be in preparation for renovation. Fortunately we were able to get a different, and acceptable room without any trouble.

If you choose to stay here, be sure to verify the room rate at check-in (and get it in writing!) as the hotel may well take advantage of any ambiguity to charge a higher rate, as they did with us.

Room Tip: Speak up quickly if the room is not acceptable!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Prince Rupert, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 10 nights this past August along with many other of his family members. The only major complaint I had was how hot it was at night. I guess the air conditioning gets turned off from 2am to 6am and it was extremely hot (but we were there in Aug!). Also, they had rolling blackouts so the hall lights were off for a period of time; the room lights were on but there was no tv. We were out most of the time so this didn't matter to us.
There was no coffee in the rooms (there was tea and a kettle) and the hair dryer got extremely hot after a bit of use. Wifi was an extra fee but there was free internet if you were using a cord.

The hotel was quiet, clean, and the staff was friendly. Some staff were limited in their English but for the most part, we were able to communicate ok.

We had the buffet breakfast once (which we paid separately for, I think some rooms had this included) and it was ok. There was a mix of western plus Chinese food, There is a great breakfast place in the University across the street, about less than 10 minute walk. It's called Maan's and it has great coffee and waffles. Also, there's a bakery near by with good coffee and great deserts and breads. Plus the hotel is close to a couple of large malls with food courts with a mix of western and Chinese restaurants. There's also street food but be careful of who you choose. It's close to a supermarket type place that sells everything from food to clothing.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanadainGirl
Venice, Italy
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked this hotel because it said that English was spoke at the reception. It was true, they spoke very basic English, but I had absolutely no problems. The hotel is close to the Renmin university and to the subway, there are also several restaurants and shops in a 5 minute walk, including a McDonald, a Pizza Hut, Yonghe King, a comic shop, a dvd shop and more...

The Hotel is divided in two parts, I was in the "Apartment Building". The room I had was at the 17th floor, it was very large, the only defect was that in the bathroom the shower was missing the "box", so the water went everywhere. The cleaning of the room was good and done everyday.

I have not used any other service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Enrico268
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The worst part of the hotel was that they charged me for their towels. I have dyed red hair. When I used the towel, appearantly some red got on it. Instead of telling me right away, they waited until I ws checking out and had my driver waiting to take me to the airport, then said they couldn't wash it and I had to pay $25. They didn't even try to wash it, and left me no time to see if it would work or not. Seems like a scam to me.
I stayed in the apartments. The bedspread smelled like smoke, which is disturbing on many levels. The shower was FREEZING! I had to let the water run for several minutes, then I could feel it was hot when I held my had right to the top, but the bathroom was cold (there's no shower room, it's part of the bathroom and the water gets all over the toilet and floor) and my teeth were literally chattering every time.
I was going to get a massage at the hotel's salon, which cost about $130 USD. I went down a couple of blocks - not even ten minutes walk - and found a local salon where I got a two person full body massage for about $100 less than the hotel charged. I had dinner in downstairs restaurant one night and it was awful.
I'll be honest, I would have been more generous in this review if they hadn't ripped me off with the towel scam. I guess the room itself was okay.
Not the worst the hotel I've stayed in, but they left me with a bad impression of themselves.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathryn R
Auckland
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in a two-bed room with a friend for four nights in August 2012. It was very comfortable and the breakfast was very good. The room and bathroom were cleaned daily and had a closet with a safe to put important items in and a small fridge. Towels and free bottle of water were provided daily. You cannot flush toilet paper down the toilet because it blocks the toilet/pipes, which is what happened to us. The shower was nice and warm. Internet access is available on the ground floor of the hotel only.

The staff did not speak English both at reception and the breakfast room, so it is likely that without the assistance of my friend who could speak Mandarin, I would have struggled to communicate with them. The hotel is very close to Renmin University, of which visiting the university was the purpose of my trip. A supermarket is within walking distance, which is convenient.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends