“Not bad for a Budget Hotel...”
Review of Yayuncun Hotel

Yayuncun Hotel
Ranked #3,308 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Overall, the hotel was not that bad. Sure, it'd be nice if there were more amenities in the building, but I really didn't have all that much time to use them considering I was there on business.

Location: corner of Anli Road and Huizhong Road. Make sure you tell the cab driver this because otherwise you'll be walking across the entire North Star Center for 20 minutes like I did.

Reason for Being There: I had to do a TEFL in China training program there, which was 7 days long, but I stayed at this hotel for 10 days.

Room: I stayed in a room with 2 twin beds in the A building (YaYunCun Hotel). In the room there are two beds, a nightstand, a closet (no ready iron or anything), a TV on a drawer, a desk, a study room, and bathroom with western toilet, shower, sink (the usual). Oh, and there's A/C that works amazingly -- great after walking back in the heat.

TV: they just replaced the TV's on the 2nd or 3rd day that I was there, so now ALL the rooms have flat screens. English channels include HBO, Cinemax, and a couple other movie channels, so that was nice.

Study Room: In my room, there was also a study room that had a square table with 4 chairs. that was separated by sliding glass doors.

Bathroom: As everyone else mentioned, the bathrooms are not the best -- water didn't flow down the sink fluently and the shower was not divided from the rest of the bathroom so the floor would get wet, but not to an extent where it was unbearable (it doesn't go past the sink and doesn't even come close to the bathroom door).

Air-Conditioning: works well -- had the room set at 18* C the entire time. Perfect.

Internet: No Wi-Fi; only plug-in ethernet cord on the desk.

Employees: very friendly employees, but when I first arrived, there were about 4-5 employees working the front desk and absolutely none of them spoke English, so I didn't know how to mention my reservations to the hotel, so I had to just book a room right there with them... using my very limited elementary Chinese. However, every time I came to the desk after that, there was always someone who spoke decent English.

Pros: decent price (~380 RMB/night); convenient location (near the Olympic Bird Nest Stadium); clean rooms; A/C; cable & internet;
Cons: wet bathrooms; no Wi-Fi; employees' English is very limited; no fridge or snacks in the room; no view of anything but the back of another building;

Room Tip: If you don't have time to enjoy the "amenities" like the "pool" or "spa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank mr_johnchi

Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at block B on the fourth level window facing the back of a shopping centre with air conditioner compressors rumbling away. It is very noise. Although room was refurnished (as mentioned by management) it is still below standard. Cracked toilet floor tiles, sink with stain, room using florensence light thus doesn't have any warm feeling.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank DerrickLee
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed here during a conference at the Beijing International Conference Center. I was in the A block. I had friends staying in the N block who said it was nicer (they had sprung for the "luxury room" as it was called by the conference organizers). The A block is about a 12 minute walk from BICC. This was the cheapest of the options offered for the conference, but I would say it would have been worth springing for something nicer.

My room was serviceable, but pretty grim. I'd say aside from the bathroom, it was about the level of a Motel 6 in the US, except with less English. The bathroom sometimes smelled funny, and the shower drains slowly in the middle of the floor -- there's a shower curtain, but no divided shower floor so the entire thing floods when you shower. I think this may be fairly common in China (my other hotel didn't even have a shower curtain for the shower) but at the other hotel at least the drain worked better! Also the cleaning in the bathroom was peremptory, and there were old beer-colored stains on one part of the wall. The bed at least was clean, and comfortable (though rock hard, which I think is standard in China). The internet is wired only. The soundproofing is not very good. Breakfast included, non-inspiring, but edible.

The staff spoke very limited English. They would have a staff member (not in uniform) hanging out in the lobby who would come over and interpret for the desk staff. This was disconcerting at first, since I didn't realize the interpreter was on the staff. This would have been fine except that the interpreter had worse English than most of the staff at the tourist focused shops I visited, which was unfortunate and not confidence inspiring.

The surrounding area is rather soulless. Although, there is a nice bar close to North Star Prime Hotel (three minute walk southwest of the A block, look for the fairy lights) which is nice for hanging out after the conference with colleagues. Decent food options in a food court in the "Legend" mall, as well as down the street walking east from the A block. There's a supermarket right next to the A block as well, which is good for getting bottled water.

In summary: don't stay here if you're just here for tourism! If here for a conference, and want to stay a few extra days (as I did) then I highly recommend changing hotels to some place closer to the bustling hutongs! I went to the Purple Courtyard after staying here, and was much happier.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Natania A
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed here while attending a conference at the (relatively) nearby China National Convention Center (20-25 min walk), for which it was listed by the conference organisers as the low-budget option.

The hotel was built in 1990 for the Asian Games. It's at the intersection of Huizhong Road and Anli Road, and not very near Beichen(g) Road as given in its address. Bear this in mind if getting a taxi (mine could not find it when given the address in Chinese). The nearest subway stations are the Olympic ones on line 8 (20 minutes' walk), or Huixinxie Beikou on line 5 (25-30 minutes' walk) for a more direct link to downtown. A taxi to the airport cost 80RMB including tolls and taxes and took no more than 30 minutes at 8pm.

For 320RMB per night I had a twin room including breakfast for two. The room was clean, spacious, and well air-conditioned, with good furniture including a dining table area for four (!). The beds were comfortable and linen clean and good quality. TV included a small selection of English-speaking channels (BBC World, National Geographic, HBO, Bloomberg, ESPN...). A fridge and kettle were also supplied, as was an internet connection (cable) - I didn't use any of these.

The bathroom was functional, with a good shower but no tub/tray, only a "wet room" style floor. Exposed pipework and a rusty curtain rail gave it a very old-fashioned vibe, a contrast to the rest of the room. I had a problem with the plug of the washbasin at one point but it was fixed quickly once I got through to someone who could speak enough English to report it.

The breakfast setup is a little odd in that there is a bar/buffet area and then tables in a series of smaller rooms along the corridor, which all feels a bit cramped. Breakfast selection included salads, eggs, ham/sausage, steamed rolls, cooked vegetables, congee, fruit, pastries and toast. It's busy, but staff clear tables quickly and I was always able to find a seat. I don't know how it compares to other hotels or other breakfast options nearby, but I put together a decent breakfast every morning. I didn't try evening food or room service.

Beware that they ask for a cash deposit on check-in, which used up a chunk of the RMB I had changed (I expected to pay on departure, perhaps naively). The 2300RMB was actually more than my bill. I didn't make use of any other hotel facilities apart from depositing my luggage for the day (free). The in-room information lists a "business center" with email access, which I would have used but it didn't seem to exist, and reception knew nothing.

There are various restaurants in the area. I tried three, and all were fine. Bellagio is a shiny, modern Taiwanese place 2 minutes' walk east on Huizhong Rd and there are good reviews of the chain here on Tripadvisor. They have English on their menu, and the food was very tasty.

The other two, I can't find contact information for online so I'm not sure I can review them separately - here are the basics: Guolin is a more traditional-looking place east off Anli Rd, south of the hotel. It has no English on the (picture) menu but some staff speak a little. The food was excellent and plentiful. Papa's is next to Guolin and was OK, it had a little English on the menu. Most food seemed to be hot/spicy, and the meal I ordered was a set (appetisers/fruit, rice, salads, main) and good value.

There's a good (upscale?) supermarket on the corner next to the hotel, selling all kinds of fresh, frozen and packaged food, drinks, toiletries, and useful things like electrical adaptors. Over the road is a bunch of fast food places like KFC and Pizza Hut that have free wifi if you need it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Katy W
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I will start off by staying I have pretty basic standards for hotels: clean room and decent service. This hotel needs to work on both. It was selected for us by the conference that we attended. We actually had two rooms during our four night stay, both of which were very rundown and old (in the A block). The hotel also has no concept of Non-smoking, so the rooms all smell like old stale cigarette smoke. The smell in the first room was really bad so we got switched to a second room (a very long ordeal as the service at the front desk is always in shambles). The second room didn't smell as much as smoke because the bathroom smelled funky. But considering we could close the door and turn on the fan, we stayed in that room. The bathroom was always faintly damp as the shower flooded. Very dirty.
It was also very loud as you could constantly hear doors slamming. Many times the elevators also were broken (or down for "maintenance"; all 3 of them). Not so bad since we were on a low floor, bad for people on the 11th and 14th floors.
The hotel could never answer basic questions about the area (restaurants, taxis, etc) and yes, they speak English. This was actually our 3rd hotel in Beijing and we had great experiences elsewhere. The location is fairly convenient to the conference center and Olympic park but I would take my $40/night and go somewhere else even if it costs more, it would be worth it!! Note that this hotel is run by the Northstar, so I don't think I would try any of their other hotels.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank myahunters
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Not a good experience. The hotel is very run down. It seems to be arranged in blocks A, B, C etc and block A seems to house the reception. I stayed in block A on the 4th floor. Furnishing was cheap and old and should be thrown out. Bathroom was a mess. Constant pool of water near toilet for full duration of stay - don't know where it was coming from. Signs of dampness and dirty marks on paint on walls. Housekeeping is minimal. There were hairs on the ground in the bathroom when I arrived that were still there 10 days later when I left.

Air-con was a little noisy but did its job.

The hotel is not very well placed for access to the subway which is about 15 minutes walk. Taxis are very cheap so that was not a huge problem.

There were many 4 and 5 star hotels nearby for about 20% more (incl the excellent Marco Polo which I later moved to for one night) and I should have picked one of those. Only plus was that the range of english tv channels was quite good. There is not much to do in the immediate area other than visit the olympic stadium, so you may well end up watching tv.

I felt the hotel was missold as my room was no match for the pics on their website.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2009

The location is superb. It is walking distance to the Beijing International Convention Center (BICC), the National Stadium a.k.a. The Giant Bird's Nest, the Swimming Complex a.k.a. The Cube, and to other hotels, reataurants, eateries and supermarkets that are all a stone's throw away. The rooms and bathrooms are basic and clean. Towels and toiletries are replaced every day. The rooms come with free internet, but provides only 1 cable. If there are more than 1 user, you may have to bring your own router. Walls are thin and i could hear banging of doors from my neighbors. Breakfast buffet is quite bad. Everything is glistening in oil, even the rice. And the selection is very strange, with weird combinations of different dishes. I skipped breakfast after my first morning there. Not to worry, Beijing food is quite cheap and you may simply step outside to find more eateries that won't cost you more than 2 USD. Lastly, my male colleagues did complain about knocking in the middle of the night. A lady claimed to have been phoned by my colleagues and had requested for her "services". Also, there are quite a few men and women loitering along the streets outside passing around Business cards of these "ladies with special services". Sometimes, they can be quite persistent. All in all, i would recommend this hotel for those who don't spend all day at the hotel. It is good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business