“Great stay in Beijing”

Redwall Hotel Beijing
Ranked #1,744 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was an excellent place to stay for a visit to Beijing. Location, location, location!! Close to everything. They also had an excellent travel desk that helped to plan day trips. Food ok, especially the dumplings!! Very affordable, clean and quiet!! I was there for 5 nights and it was great to come "home" each evening!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank MeowVictoria
There are newer reviews for Redwall Hotel Beijing

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed in two rooms. While the hotel was defiantly ageing the rooms were clean and tidy. There was also no noise from the streets outside so we had a awesome nights sleep. As is usual in China the beds are very firm. We found it a great place to stay for sightseeing as very central to parks and lots of tourist sights. We would consider staying here again. The doormen were good trying to give us tips and books tours etc for us. The desk staff did not have much English and were not so easy to deal with.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tania H
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel isn't particularly cheap or expensive for Beijing, but for a cultural trip, you don't get a better location. It's litterally 2min from the Forbidden City, meaning, you do the rarely done walk around the moat at night every night. All convenience can be found around the hotel.

Staff is ok, not great, but ok. The bar is rather good, staff is helping, particularly when there's nobody around, you can have a pool game, asking for your music to be played while putting whatever you want on TV.

Rooms are the basics of the basics. You're not getting a cosy hostel or luxury hotel here, rooms are clean enough but not top grade, more of a backpacking thing than a couply thing.

Would still return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CromoX
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Over the last three years I have made three trips to China staying in over 20 hotels and this is the worst experience I have had. Reception was rude during booking into the hotel. Insisting that I change rooms the first day I was there, they asked that I wait a few minutes which eventually was a 90 minute wait in the hallway. As the "baggage Boys" played on there phones I struggled to get my luggage to the room. Every time over my 9 day stay I ask for information from the "baggage Boys" and they tried to book me tickets at an inflated price, after not wanting this they seldom answered my question....I gave up asking after the 5th day. The room was dirty and the carpet stained and not vacuumed. The room had "gap filler" holding the sink, the overflow was gap filled, shower taps were 25mm away from the wall and gap filled. Floor boards did not reach the wall. The cold and damp room was very small. The AC did not work, I had to get three quilts to stay warm. No English TV channel. Complimentary water had to be ask for every day. During my stay I got on the internet only 4 times. If you ask you can get a real "MASSAGE" form the girls if the price is right. I sat down in the Western food area and nobody served me for 40 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank reviewgpmilly
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Staff unfriendly and try cheat on every move. In hotel impossible call a taxi, staff can call but it will cost 5x more than normal. Staff always try to sell 3x more expensive trips.

Hotel rooms are very unclearn and stinks, I asked staff for room change, but he said that impossible.

In hotel restaurant nobody speak english and food is very bad quality.

Never again, do not stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Initially I was worried to go there since in the last months, people started firing just bad comments about this place. However after spending 5 nights there, I cannot really complain that much about it.

The room could be improved (paint especially), shower room was quite ok. Stuff was quite helpful with me (even though they talked very limited english) I always managed to achieve what I wanted. The trick is to "smile" and be patient:)

Breakfast was so and so, mainly chinese food. Western section was not really "western" to me but anyway.

Location was not that bad after all. 8 minute walk from the subway and around 20 minute walk to the main pedestral shopping street in beijing. It was very close to the EXIT from the forbidden city, so afterwards you just walk it back pretty much.

I've been to worse places where no one speaks a word in english, thus for me this hotel was acceptable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Clint S
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I reserved a standard room using Agoda.com. At check in, the desk clerk gave me an economy or budget room. When I argued and showed my voucher he told me to take this room or leave. I accepted this room of course with no good choice at 8 pm. My discussion with the manager the next day was useless. First he said I had been given a standard room. After confronting him with online photos of a standard room he asked me "why did you accept this room?". Then he folded his hands, smiled and would say nothing more.

The room had peeling wall cover. All carpets in this hotel are filthy. Some are threadbare. There was a window, but a block wall was built only 12" from the window, so it is a window to a wall. Neither the heat or air conditioning worked. The unit fan worked, but it did not cool or heat the air, only move it around. Strong smell of sewage that the hotel staff tried to hide by placing a large bundle of potpourri in the bathroom. Agoda site says complimentary water, but at the hotel they refused to give us any free water upon arrival.

Location seems good on a map, but it is at the north end of the Forbidden City and a very long walk to anywhere. You will do better to find a clean hotel near the third ring road and then just walk or taxi from there. The difference in distance is minimal.

Around the hotel there are not many nice restaurants, some way overpriced small coffee shops that serve coffee in tiny cups for more than the cost of a large Starbuck's drink. The hotel breakfast buffet is mostly greasy Chinese food that seems left over from dinner. Western food limited to pre-fried eggs and white bread toast.

I normally would not complain because for city center the price was low, but I don't like being treated as I was. The management oversold the hotel, then they refused to even give me a discount difference between their economy and standard room prices. The manager knew I was a foreigner, not signed in with a Chinese tour agency, they were holding my 200 rmb deposit and so they could do anything they wanted and I would no recourse.

If you don't mind a stinky room without real working heat or air and feel the need to be in City Center this place is cheap enough. I have traveled extensively in Beijing and know that I made a mistake with this choice and I will not ever stay there again.

Room Tip: choose their upgrade such as business level or be sure that you have an agreement to be placed on a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends