Redwall Hotel Beijing
      Excellent 5/5
      Great 4.5/5
      • Breakfast included
          • Restaurant
          See what travelers are saying:
          FilterAll languages
          Reviewed November 5, 2013

Over the last three years I have made three trips to China staying in over 20 hotels and this is the worst experience I have had. Reception was rude during booking into the hotel. Insisting that I change rooms the first day I was there, they asked that I wait a few minutes which eventually was a 90 minute wait in the hallway. As the "baggage Boys" played on there phones I struggled to get my luggage to the room. Every time over my 9 day stay I ask for information from the "baggage Boys" and they tried to book me tickets at an inflated price, after not wanting this they seldom answered my question....I gave up asking after the 5th day. The room was dirty and the carpet stained and not vacuumed. The room had "gap filler" holding the sink, the overflow was gap filled, shower taps were 25mm away from the wall and gap filled. Floor boards did not reach the wall. The cold and damp room was very small. The AC did not work, I had to get three quilts to stay warm. No English TV channel. Complimentary water had to be ask for every day. During my stay I got on the internet only 4 times. If you ask you can get a real "MASSAGE" form the girls if the price is right. I sat down in the Western food area and nobody served me for 40 minutes.

2  Thank reviewgpmilly
          Reviewed November 3, 2013

Staff unfriendly and try cheat on every move. In hotel impossible call a taxi, staff can call but it will cost 5x more than normal. Staff always try to sell 3x more expensive trips.

Hotel rooms are very unclearn and stinks, I asked staff for room change, but he said that impossible.

In hotel restaurant nobody speak english and food is very bad quality.

Never again, do not stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
          Reviewed November 2, 2013

Initially I was worried to go there since in the last months, people started firing just bad comments about this place. However after spending 5 nights there, I cannot really complain that much about it.

The room could be improved (paint especially), shower room was quite ok. Stuff was quite helpful with me (even though they talked very limited english) I always managed to achieve what I wanted. The trick is to "smile" and be patient:)

Breakfast was so and so, mainly chinese food. Western section was not really "western" to me but anyway.

Location was not that bad after all. 8 minute walk from the subway and around 20 minute walk to the main pedestral shopping street in beijing. It was very close to the EXIT from the forbidden city, so afterwards you just walk it back pretty much.

I've been to worse places where no one speaks a word in english, thus for me this hotel was acceptable.

1  Thank Clint S
          Reviewed October 28, 2013

I reserved a standard room using Agoda.com. At check in, the desk clerk gave me an economy or budget room. When I argued and showed my voucher he told me to take this room or leave. I accepted this room of course with no good choice at 8 pm. My discussion with the manager the next day was useless. First he said I had been given a standard room. After confronting him with online photos of a standard room he asked me "why did you accept this room?". Then he folded his hands, smiled and would say nothing more.

The room had peeling wall cover. All carpets in this hotel are filthy. Some are threadbare. There was a window, but a block wall was built only 12" from the window, so it is a window to a wall. Neither the heat or air conditioning worked. The unit fan worked, but it did not cool or heat the air, only move it around. Strong smell of sewage that the hotel staff tried to hide by placing a large bundle of potpourri in the bathroom. Agoda site says complimentary water, but at the hotel they refused to give us any free water upon arrival.

Location seems good on a map, but it is at the north end of the Forbidden City and a very long walk to anywhere. You will do better to find a clean hotel near the third ring road and then just walk or taxi from there. The difference in distance is minimal.

Around the hotel there are not many nice restaurants, some way overpriced small coffee shops that serve coffee in tiny cups for more than the cost of a large Starbuck's drink. The hotel breakfast buffet is mostly greasy Chinese food that seems left over from dinner. Western food limited to pre-fried eggs and white bread toast.

I normally would not complain because for city center the price was low, but I don't like being treated as I was. The management oversold the hotel, then they refused to even give me a discount difference between their economy and standard room prices. The manager knew I was a foreigner, not signed in with a Chinese tour agency, they were holding my 200 rmb deposit and so they could do anything they wanted and I would no recourse.

If you don't mind a stinky room without real working heat or air and feel the need to be in City Center this place is cheap enough. I have traveled extensively in Beijing and know that I made a mistake with this choice and I will not ever stay there again.

Room Tip: choose their upgrade such as business level or be sure that you have an agreement to be placed on a high floor NOT the ground floor.
          • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
          1  Thank shanghaijones
          Reviewed October 26, 2013

I booked my hotel based on web recommendation. Wow was I in for a rude awakening! Also I confirmed our room verbally to let them know i would be in late and not to give our room away. Apparently that wasn't good enough because they gave my room away and insisted that the only room they had left was in the back with two small twin size beds. Once I spoke to the manager they had a room open up. However, the next day they insisted on moving me; rather than accommodating me, to another room. The carpets are filthy, the entire building smells, the heater or air conditioner don't work, the staff is rude and when I left they tried to convince me that I would need to take an overpriced car they would book; to the airport, because I would not be able to get a cab that early in the morning. Please look for another room; otherwise you will regret staying here!

Room Tip: Book an entirely different hotel! This entire place is a nightmare!
          1  Thank Eric T