“Ruined the feeling”

Ranked #1,647 of 6,491 Hotels in Beijing
Berkeley, California
“Ruined the feeling”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel stank from bad atmosphere. The girls at the front desk where rude, it seemed like nothing is included in the price of the hotel and the overpriced room acts only as a way to make you buy more things in the hotel. There was no WiFi in the rooms, only in the lobby that had only 3 lousy couches and it smelled like sewers (the lobby)

Everywhere you go and with every question you ask you are offered to book a trip, acorbatic show or dine in their one of their 2 awful restaurants. Apart from that, the beds were not comfortable, the elevctricity in the room is an enigma, every night another outlet went dead.

Location is nice if all you're interested in Beijing is the forbidden city. And not even, the hotel is located close to the exit from the forbidden city and you need quite a walk to get to the entrance. Apart from that, it is far from any subway station and the area is quite boring, nothing but frames shops and banks. I don't reccomend coming to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Schimek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ely, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

With my stay in Beijing I found that I don't think there is anywhere particularly nice. The was a funny sewerage smell in the lobby, but then again, most of the city did. Checking in & out was painless. We opted for the traditional Chinese style room which was basic. Small room with a bed, telly, toilet, shower and coat stand (no wardrobe to hang clothes) it wasn't luxurious by any means but if you are just wanting a place to lay your head after a long day exploring then that's fine. Wasn't overly impressed with the food, the place isn't overly clean but it doesn't seem to be harmful grime! Probably would stay again due to the fantastic location but would opt for a better room.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Britnimay26
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel does essentially what it says on the tin. You get a bed and a bathroom. If you want more than this, then this is not the place for you.
The bedroom was small but comfortable. It was modestly furnished but generally well maintained and clean. The bathroom, again, was small but functioned reasonably well. The shower was not the world's greatest but that was never expected for this price.
The level of English among staff is not fantastic but basic communication is possible if you have a problem that needs addressing. That said, if you arrive in China without having bothered to learn a few words of Mandarin than i would expect you to struggle.
Our experience with checking in and out was fairly quick and easy and problems we had with our drains was dealt with swiftly and without fuss. We had breakfast on two occasions in this hotel, once eating Chinese fare and once eating their attempt at a continental breakfast. The Chinese food was well prepared but the attempt at a continental breakfast was a flimsy imitation and was not to our taste. Best avoided, i would suggest. Go eat breakfast at a local restaurant.

The location of this hotel is its selling point and its strength. It is perfect for access to the city's main tourist attractions; the Forbidden Palace, Tian'anmen and Jingshan Park among others. My advice would be to take taxis to places you don't wish to walk and ask the driver to use his meter. That way, you can get around the city very cheaply, usually no more than £3-5 per trip. The rickshaws are very good fun and a real experience but, unfortunately, there is a minority of unscrupulous operators who give the majority a bad reputation. Never get into a rickshaw without first agreeing a clear price and, if you are traveling in pairs, do not ever allow yourself to be separated, this is a scam.

Overall, if you intend to spend all day out and about and are simply using the hotel for a bed and a shower, i would say the Red Wall is fairly good. If you want top service, good food and pampering, do not book here.

Room Tip: We chose a 'traditional Chinese' room which was small and functional and reasonably priced...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dan M
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because the hotel was free through my airlines and its location is near all of the tourist attractions (Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, etc.) as well as the Wangfujin shopping district. We stayed in the deluxe room which was clean, modern, good sized, with nice a bathroom and shower. The shower heads were decent and we had strong water pressure. The room was better than I expected. The beds were hard, Chinese style, not all that confortable at first, but eventually we got use to them. The air conditioning worked and kept us comfortable.
There is free wifi in the lobby, but it was very slow and not always working. We told the front desk and we eventually had WiFi. Also you had to call the front desk to make a call out from the phone in the room. We used the phone but once anyway. There was always someone at the front desk who spoke good enough English to help you with questions and give information on getting around Beijing. The bellboys were helpful for this as well. The front desk staff was always very helpful and friendly. Cannot complain about service.
There is western bar where coffee, capaccinos, espressos can be made to order. No one was really stationed in there in the morning and we had to wait for someone to come. We had a nice coffee pot that worked in the room, but did not get refills of instant type coffee for the mornings. I did not ask for more either. The Breakfast was average in the restuarant.
I had a decent stay here. The location is good. I would recommend this to someone on a budget and who is not expecting
luxury as you would see in other
high end hotels.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Susan T
Bursa, Turkey
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Hotel was not good, personal speaks very little English and tour desk was a nightmare...

I booked two tours, one of them was great wall and the other was a city tour.First day we had two car accidents and guide said she is not coming to the wall, just left us at the entrance. The group insisted her to come then she changed her mind. She told very little about the wall and the history.They took us to some jade, silk shops and 5 minutes foot massage and forced us to buy something and treated like we have to shop from there!

The second day was even worse. I was told by the tour desk, we will have 4 stops and three shopping stops but the guide said it is only 3 and there will be 3 shops which are same as yesterday! So I could not see the Tiananmen Square which I wanted to see most and I did not go there before because I wanted to learn sonmething about the history of the place..! In the morning the guide just said hi, introduced herself, Jessie, and asked for a very high tip and said we have to pay that tip. I refused to give that high amount of tip and all day she reminded the tip for her and driver. I wanted to leave the tour early and see the square myself but she did not let me go just because of the tip and I got back to hotel. The guide can speak very little English and knew nothing about the historical places, the only info she gave about the forbidden city is "this is where the emperror sleeps and here is where the empresses sleeps!" Guide did not come in to the summer palace and we could not get any information about the place, when we asked, you should come in, she said it is just a garden no history!!!
At the end of the tour we did not tip because the tour and the driver was awful, but she did not let us go to our rooms, we argued at the loby of the hotel, in front of the tour desk and front desk, no one from the personel asked what is going on there. I had the worst two days of my life thanks to the Redwall Hotel staff and the tour company they are working with..

Room Tip: You can prefer non-smoking floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Deniz A

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Singapore
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights last week. The only advantage in staying at this hotel is its convenient location of being walking distance to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.

The service offered by the porter is practically nil. I am a crutch user and yet the porter did not offer any assistance. I have to carry my luggage myself.

When the need arises to change room, I asked to have my luggage transferred to the new room. Yet when I returned, I found my luggage held in the reception area. Again, no help was offered and I have to do it myself.

Upon check-out, I asked the porter to book a taxi for me while I wait at the entrance. After waiting for 10 minutes, I noticed that he has gone to sit at the reception counter. When I enquired, his reply was that he has call for the cab but it is up to the cab whether he wants to come or otherwise.

He did not even bother to inform me while I waited outside. I ended up lugging the luggage by myself to hail a cab by the roadside.

As for the business center, the staff on duty do not speak English and when I ask for assistance to book a air-ticket to Guangzhou, he said as it is Sunday, no service is available and that I should book my ticket elsewhere!

Don't think I will ever want to stay in this hotel again. I am sure there will be better hotel elsewhere of similar prices.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ronlmk
London
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here because a tour I was on started from here, and I booked two extra nights to spend some more time in Beijing. As a result, I have stayed in both a standard and deluxe room. Despite having similar prices and descriptions, the difference is huge. The standard rooms are in a dark corridor with a low ceiling and are very cramped inside. The deluxe rooms are in a more modern and much nicer wing of the building and are larger, cleaner, and fitted out to a higher standard (better shower head, nicer pillows and towels, more powerful air conditioning). There is free wifi in the lobby, but it was very slow and not working one evening. Location is good, and getting to know a couple of local bus routes will allow you to get around easily and cheaply – the bell boys were very helpful for this. Breakfast was average. I had a decent stay here, but would only recommend the nicer rooms.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are well worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo