“Did not leave a good impression”

Redwall Hotel Beijing
Ranked #1,658 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore, Singapore
“Did not leave a good impression”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My first trip to Beijing and we tried this hotel. Everything was average, the rooms, service, etc. Did not use any facilities because we went in Winter. Did not leave me much of an impression except upon check out, they insisted I used the shaver and wanted to charge me. I know explicitly I did not and argued I did not. They kept insisting they could not find it and wanted to charge me. After a few attempts and with my driver and tour waiting for me (i signed up on a private tour), I just said I would pay angrily.

At that point they said they managed to find the shaver and said sorry. What bad service! Zzz.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I booked via booking.com and paid through them. However, once at the hotel I had to give them a significant safety deposit. Upon checking out, they made me pay again, since they apparently refunded my booking.com payment and were refunding my safety deposit. With limited English, this was difficult to understand.

The beds were hard, but this is typical of Chinese hotels, so they were no better or worse than other Chinese beds. However, many of the rooms had stained carpet due to showers leaking. The breakfast was an interesting combination of Western and Chinese food, but very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The hotel is old and on check in they ask for a 500 yuan deposit which was unknown to me and travel agent.
Staff friendly and helpful - breakfast is chinese traditional so if you are vegetarian like me very limited food served - and no american or english food served.
Internet is limited to the little station in the mall attached and looks very dingy but the young lady is very helpful..

What I did like that is was in the heart of Beijing and allowed me to explore the side streets with supermarkets and street dwellers very easily - supermarket less than 5 mins walk and all sorts of cafes and litte shops... very good if you want to explore that side...

Room Tip: Rooms away from lift and stairs are less noisy - Pictures of room 1407.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Reyhana K
Reviewed August 4, 2012

No value for money what so ever! We stayed only one night. There was smell of old dump carpets on the corridors. Rooms are ok but nothing special for this price. Staff is rude and have no idea of the services that the hotel provides. When I asked about Internet I ve been told there is no computers to use only to find out the next day that there are computers with Internet for guests use indeed. But if you expect to use it for free you are wrong. You need to buy password which means you have to make your way back to reception through this huge gore hotel. Couldn't wait to check out. Bell boy who was trying to catch a taxi for us recommended his friend who of course tried to overcharge us. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank KarolRosh

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

We were in Beijing for 3 nights. The hotel was minutes away from the forbidden city- the north east corner.

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. People have complained about lack of English but we were fine- English wasn't great but our mandarin was pretty much non existent beyond hello and thanks.

The rooms are as described- a bitty tatty but they were cleaned. Yes there were stained carpets but again- they were vacuumed and overslly we were really pleased with the hotel. We would stay here again (we paid £30 a double through expedia).

Some tips:
1) to get here- train from airport to donzhimem, change to tube here and head for dongsi station (you change twice). Subway very easy and only 2yuan for any amount of connecting journeys. When you get to dongsi-exit side b, have a look at your map and head straight down to the corner of the forbidden city, you will pass the art museum before the hotel on the right.
2) if you get a taxi INSIST on the meter- and have the mandarin address (available on the hotels website). Taxi min is 10 yuan then 2/km after. We got a taxi to houhai (lake north of forbidden city- lots of bars and food places for 20 yuan, some taxis tried to charge 100 yuan for the journey back- walk away)
3) DO NOT, DO NOT, get a rickshaw/pedicab near the hotel. We took one from the corner to the right of the hotel with the idea of getting to the forbidden city faster (we had slept in and were jetlagged). They offered to drive us on one each and agreed 3 yuan each. They dropped us off and asked for 300 each (£60) and like idiots we thought- that's a bit steep- but assumed we were in the wrong (tired, hot and a little stupid). After they drove off (not before asking for a tip) I realised and did what you always tell others not to do in a foreign country and went after them. They had gone. We spoke to a local guy who waif report it to the police so we decided to head back to the corner and tell them we were tuning the police 110. The corner is very public and it was broad daylight. Other rickshaw drivers were there with no sign of the others. I explained my friend had gone to the hotel to phone the police and that we had photos. Within 15 minutes someone on a rickshaw arrives out of nowhere with the 600 and said- money back, no police. Which was good because the police couldn't do anything because we had handed money over and the were nowhere to be found. Obviously, trust your instincts, this was in broad salient in the city centre- I think I'd have let it go if it was a night.
4) Dont book tours on street for great wall. Get the bus- it cost next to nothing for the mutianyu section if the great wall from the bus station near dongzhimen (leaving at 830 ish, coming back at 2 or 4).
5) taxi to airport through the hotel was 280 yuan leaving at 4am, inclusive if everything.

Enjoy- have your wits about you but Beijing was fantastic. Climb the hill in the park across from the exit of the forbidden city for a great view.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank dwolfliverpool
Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at the Red Wall for 4 nights. Rooms were run down and bathroom leaked. Location was ok within walking distance to Forbiden city and an easy taxi ride anywhere else. Better out there.

• Stayed June 2012