“A good place to stay in Beijing”
Review of pentahotel Beijing

pentahotel Beijing
Ranked #53 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed April 6, 2014

- A nice and central hotel (1 min walk to Changwenmen subwaystation).
- Staff did speak english. The hotel did not exept creditcard, bring cash.
- Regular rooms were big, refridgerator, iron.
- Breakfast was good and included in our room price. Croissants, banh beo, wok, ricesoup, english breakfast, toast, ham/cheese, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee/tea. The chef made eggs in the restaurant. Excellent breakfast!
- Approx 30min from Beijing international airport. Tips: taxi drivers in Beijing does not speak english and neither understand english writing. Get somebody at the airport to translate the hotel name in to chinese! (we got lost and used 1,5hour to the hotel)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Hennes2
YvesGodard, General Manager at pentahotel Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Hennes2

Thank you for posting this nice review , we are really happy to read that you enjoyed pentabhotel beijing.

Should you plan another trip to beijing i will handle the reservation for you, yves.godard@pentahotelsasia.com

cheers

Yves

There are newer reviews for pentahotel Beijing

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was our first hotel stay out of 7 during our 13 day tour with China Odyssey Tours (COT). The location was perfect. We didn't walk to any of the attractions cuz our tour package drove us every where but they were all close. As for walking around at night, it's safe. There are 4 major shopping malls around the corner of the hotel ranging from high end to midrange end goods, bakeries, grocery store and American and Chinese fast food chains. The breakfast had a nice balance of western and Chinese fare. It's not a huge selection but enough to fill you up. Oh and no smoking occurred by fellow patrons in the lounge/breakfast area. The hotel seemed to have a lot of 'foreigners." I like to believe that we respect the no smoking policy unlike the domestic Chinese whom we have seen smoking in hotels that are not catered to Westerners. I did have a complaint to the manager who was handling the morning seating. Apparently, I filled up a pot of loose leaf tea that I found on one of their shelves, since it was a self serve style breakfast, I helped myself. The manager noticed it and asked where I got it from. She said that it was not part of the breakfast and if any patrons saw it they would want it too. She quickly took it away and left it sitting by the bar sink. No apologies. She should have just told us and consider notice served for next time. We ended up having our breakfast and watching our tea brewing in the pot sitting wasted. I think if I spoke only English she would have let it pass, the conversation was all in Mandarin. As for our rooms, they were perfect as can be. I'm sure by now with all of the reviews you have read about the beds in China, they are hard. Maybe if you stay in a 5 star Western chain, it'll be different. It's the Chinese choice to sleep on hard surfaces. Heck my relatives in Taiwan have marble slabs as their bed. My only complaint about my room, was the shower drain and cleanliness. I had to be careful with the shower flooding due to the slow drainage problem. That was not the case with my parents' room. The other was I don't think housekeeping scrubs the shower floor tiles. I found a part of a cigarette in the corner of my stall. I left it behind expecting it to be removed at the next room cleaning. It was still there but moved closer to the drain. By the 3rd night, you know that ring around a bathtub after a bath, well I saw that around the base of the shower walls. Overall, I would over look the negatives and consider staying at this place again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank vhay2013

Dear Markam

Thank you for this long and detailed review, we are happy to read that overall you had a positive experience with us, beside the clumsy reaction regarding the loose tea situation.
She should not have reacted like that, it's not included in the breakfst and is supposed to charged extra but the way the lady handled it was not appropriate.
We will re inforce training.
What is more concerning to me is the housekeeping issue, can you send me a note a this adress and tell me more about it, that would be extremely helpfull: yves.godard@pentahotelsasia.com

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We enjoyed staying here while visiting Beijing for many reasons.
The rooms were comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was excellent and included a chef making custom omelets as well as western style fare to sample. The location was great and we even walked to Tian'an Men Square the first day, We would have been lost were it not for the helpful staff providing us with chinese written instructions to give to taxi cabs.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Ronnie and Guy

Thanks for the good review this is really helping us! hope to see you in again soon!

warmest regards

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The hotel is quite nice and a great location - ATM across the street and walking distance to the Hutongs south of Qianmen Street (very lively night life!) and Tian'anmen Square. The breakfast was very good as well. My only compliant was the sewage smell in our bathroom that was unbearable and the lack of cleanliness of the gym. There were no towels or sanitizer in the gym, and it needed it! The mats were black and I tried to clean them with hot water, but they paper towel was black with grime so I gave up on a workout. I would likely try something else in Beijing - but would stay here again in a pinch. No one else seems to have complained about the sewage smell, so perhaps we just got a bad room.

1  Thank CAN_222
YvesGodard, General Manager at pentahotel Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear CAN 222

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here, i am glad that most of the experience was positive, and i take note of the 2 issues you mentioned, actually i wish to get back to you with at least an explanation, (may i kindly ask you to drop me a quick note to this adress) yves.godard@pentahotelsasia.com.
We are very hard focused on enginering and housekeeping therefore thanks to your comments we will automatically launch an investigation.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week during my first visit to Beijing. Very clean room, comfortable bed and nice amenities. Great location, in walking distance of Tiananmen Square and countless other sites. Outstanding breakfasts (so I can't figure out what some reviewers were complaining about). I do not speak Chinese, but had no trouble communicating with staff. I would stay here again.

2  Thank Alan L

Dear Sometimes

What a nice post, thanks a million!! that means a lot to us and make the whole team feel absolutly great!

I give you my personal email in case you want to be in touch with us or to make a booking for your next trip ot beijing yves.godard@pentahotelsasia.com

hope to be able to see you " sometimes" soon
cheers

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I recently stayed at this location and I must say it was a very pleasant visit! This was apart of a tour package and I was not familiar with the company but the website looked nice so I hoped for the best! The rooms were a nice size and very clean and modern. The bathroom was okay it was a bit dated but the shower was hot and the flow was strong... Perfect for relaxing after a long day touring the great sites of China! The Noodle Bar closes pretty early but the PentaLounge offers some of the same food items.

They offered a free buffet every morning with traditional American breakfast food as well as Chinese items. All very good.

The elevator requires a key to access upper floors for security reasons but the neighborhood is centrally located and seemingly in a good area with a bank, grocery store, two malls, and a few restaurants.

The staff was nice but they all didn't speak English which posed a challenge at times. All in all I would stay at this hotel again either here or in another country.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor room 730 at the far end of the hallway it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank CyliaL

Dear Cylia

Thank you for your nice review, we are happy to know that you would stay again with a penta, most of our property are in Europe ( Germany, England, Belgium, Austria, and Cech republic). 3 in china ( Beiing/shanghai/HK) If ever you are p[lanning a trip in one of the countries mentioned above drop me an email at Yves.godard@pentahotelsasia.com. I will be happy to assist with the booking.

Again many thanks and all the best

Reviewed March 26, 2014

The hotel is very easy to access, situated in the center of the city, 2min walking from subway station Chongwengmen (line 2 & line 5). The lobby and breakfast are very nice. The only issue are the rooms which are quite old, but still very clean.

1  Thank Milou1330
YvesGodard, General Manager at pentahotel Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Milou 1330

Thank you for posting a review here about us, Some of our rooms have been semi refurbished which gives them a more aged look indeed.
Drop me an email at this adress yves.godard@pentahotelsasia.com and i will give you a fully refurbished room next time.
Some of our guest having tried both like the semi refurbished better, this is realy a matter of personal taste.