“Good Shops and Exotic Food”
Review of Wangfujing Street

$39.00*
Small-Group Tour: Local Beijing Experience With Rickshaw Ride
$39.00*
and up
Small-Group Night Walking Tour Including Flag-Lowering Ceremony at Tiananmen...
Ranked #34 of 1,609 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: This street is comprised of upscale and flea-market shops.
Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Good Shops and Exotic Food”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The street has a part only to pedestrians, where you can find numerous stores from unknown brands, to famous brands. It has a large Apple store. There is also a night market, selling everything from souvenirs to exotic foods where you can try fried delicacies on skewers as horse-marine, starfish and scorpions.

Visited May 2013

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

If you have the time, it's definitely worth visiting the night market at Wangfujing Street. It's lots of fun to watch the visitors there (largely tourists -- not locals) eat crickets, tarantulas, sea stars, and the like. There are also "normal" things to get there like dumplings and candied fruits.

Visited July 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“This place is an utter tourist trap”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The hotel I stayed at was a few moments' walk away from Wangfujing Street. I only went to Wangfujing Street to try and find somewhere to eat when my meals were not included in my private tour of Beijing.

There is a 5 floor mall on top of the big Apple store. I believe it was called the API building; I may be wrong. I went to the top floor where most of the restaurants were. I don't think I came across one restaurant having English on the menu to help tourists. I did come across a Subway and was able to order a sandwich here.

Other shops on this street had a pedestrian only section with designer stores. I stayed clear and did not go in one. I came to Wangfujing Street a few times on one occasion to go to the Donghuamen night, food market. See my separate review on that.

Well before I arrived in Beijing I did a Google search to see if there are any tourist traps on Wangfujing Street. Boy was I glad I did this and you have to do this for your own protection also. The first time I came to this street I was right outside the Apple store looking at my map. Seconds later this local guy came up to me and spoke to me in English asking if I needed any help. He told me he was an artist and I knew right then to stay clear. They take you to art stores to buy over priced goods. I did not say anything and walked right away from this artist.

I kid you not, every other time I came to the shopping/pedestrian side of Wangfujing Street I was approached by locals speaking English to me. The other people to look out for are the students. They are very well dressed and try to make polite conversation with you. They say things like, 'Hi, where are you from?' And, 'Let's go for a tea/coffee together.' You will be robbed by the exorbitant prices of these drinks and you will have to pay for it.

There are a lot of beggars in this area too who will shove a can in front of you to put money in. Far from a nice tourist area for me.

Visited November 2013
9 Thank GoWithoutBorders
Singapore, Singapore
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent place to find food and Apple shop!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Food varieties and lots of big brands including the large Apple shop located there. The food street inside WFJ is interesting. However the price of food here is higher compare to else where as this is consider the Golden Street for its location. We love all the shopping malls as they houses international brands. Good window shopping though.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Triple999
Brisbane, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A feast for the senses”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

To get the best experience here you should visit at night. The open mall is lit up with neon signs advertising every luxury brand you can think of. The best areas though are off to the side in the narrow snacks street. I wasn't game, but the insects on sticks seemed to be popular fare with the locals. The most shocking were the scorpions - still moving about after having been impaled on the sticks - ready for cooking!
We moved through quickly, and found small market streets - well worth a look - a lot of interesting curios. But bargain hard, otherwise you will pay too much!

Visited November 2013